Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab,Ut or White Sands,NM. ?  (Read 15076 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Moab,Ut or White Sands,NM. ?
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:18:24 pm »

Headed to Phoenix for 5 days in March and have had both of these sites on my list to visit.
Am I missing some other special place to photograph within a days drive.
Every time I fly our execs. To Vegas for a trade show I usually get 3 or 4 days to drive and shoot so the following are off the list for this trip as I have been to most of them at least twice.
Sedona,Bryce,Zion,Grand Canyon,Monument Valley,Antelope Canyon,Death Valley.
Seems to be a whole lot more to shoot in the Moab area for 3 days.
I am afraid if I go to White Sands I may be ready to come back to Phoenix after a day?
I have a full 3 days to drive and shoot.suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:34:21 am by Dan Berg »

sierraman

Re: Moab,Ut or White Sands,NM. ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:00:40 pm »

Moab is a great place to use as a central base. I just got back from there and couldn't be more happy with photo op's in the area. CanyonLands and Arches are of course must visits, but another must is Dead Horse Point State Park. It's on the same road that leads to CanyonLands and has plenty of areas to photograph.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:56:57 pm »

+1 to what sierraman said. 

White Sands is fun to photograph, but it's a one-trick pony.  It's also quite a distance.

Three days to Moab and back is a lot of driving, too.  But's over much more interesting country and on far more interesting roads than I-10.

dmerger

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:32:47 pm »

Capitol Reef National Park may be a little closer than Moab.  If you're up to some rather easy hiking trails, you could easily spend a few days there.  Maybe Great Basin National Park, although it may be mostly snowed in in March. You could easily spend a couple of days at White Sands.  Of course, most everyone knows about Moab.  It's a wonderful area. All are a long drive from Phoenix, however. Maybe consider Joshua Tree National Park.  It would be the shortest drive.
Dean Erger

dgberg

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:52:55 am »

We arrive Thursday early afternoon (After a 2000 mile flight)so not sure I want to drive at all that day. Have to be back in Phoenix Monday night for the early Tuesday departure back to Pennsylvania. So I really have 4 days.
I know the drive to Moab is quite long but the owner of the airplane may retire in a couple of years. (I Hope not!)
So my free transportation west may be nearing it's end. It is 490 miles from Phoenix to Moab which means its a whole days drive. Since my body at least will still be on EST if I leave Friday at 5am est I should be in Moab by about noon PST. That leaves me 2 1/2 days to drive and shoot in the Moab area and all day Monday to drive back.
Not ideal but probably better then the Vegas to Death Valley ,Mono Lake and Yosemite round trip I did in 5 days.
This would be a whole lot easier if we flew into Vegas instead of Phoenix,maybe next year.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:56:57 am by Dan Berg »

Rocco Penny

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:11:37 am »

I don't know very much about that area,
If you're going to drive that far I'd try to get to the stretch between Moab and Telluride.
San Juans and Dolores river country
The drive between the two cities is really pretty.
There are all kinds of accomodations in Tel.
Maybe some snow IDK
IF you can make it that way you'll see what I mean.
Go the way that you have to drive through Montrose.
Just beautiful country.
Watch for snow...

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 01:38:05 pm »

When talking about southern Utah, I am always amazed how few times Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument is mentioned.  It could easily be paired with a trip to Capitol Reef.  I have done extensive shoots in GS-E 4 times and am going back this fall.  For images, see our web site... www.photographybyscottandjoyce.com  Go to: Our Photographs>All Our Photos>Images of Utah>Grand Staircase-Escalante.  It is perhaps my favorite place in the west to shoot.  Stay in Boulder (Pole's Place or the upscale Boulder Mountain Lodge) or in Escalante.  Reservations are advised.  Also, the restaurant at Boulder Mountain Lodge is one of the best in Utah.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:40:06 pm by soberle »

Tony B.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:06:39 am »

Hi Dan, I could give you two different options for Utah.

First, this would be the luck of the draw (literally).  Drive to Kanab Utah (350 miles from Phoenix) on Thursday.  This would allow you to go to the Grand Staircase National Monument visitors center (Phone  435-644-1300) Friday morning to try and pick up a permit for Coyote Buttes.  I have heard that in the winter the office is open M-F.  So, on Friday they issue permits for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  I heard this a couple of years ago when I tried for a permit at the Paria River office but things could have changed.  I believe they only let you sign up for one of the days, I would try Sunday or Monday (this would make a for a late night drive back to Phoenix though).  If you get your permit then great you have plans for one of the days.  The main other thing in that area is Antelope Canyon.  But you could hike into either Buckskin Gulch or Wire Pass to get some slot canyon photos.  Just hike in as far as you feel like and hike back out (you might need a day permit-check with the visitors center).  There is the Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, I have not been there so I am not sure what there is to photograph.

If you do not get a permit then you can take off for Capitol Reef National Park (200 miles), staying in the Torrey.  Spend a day around Capitol Reef.  Then take off in the morning and drive to Goblin Valley (60 miles) for Sunrise, after that hike Little Wild Horse Canyon for some slot canyon photo’s and back to Goblin Valley for sunset, then drive back to Torrey.

Second option would be to head towards Moab, since you have already been to Monument Valley you could check out Gooseneck State Park (I have never been), also in that area is Valley of the Gods. Then head towards Natural Bridges National Monument-One of the bridges is easy access, the others you have to hike.  If you do not hit Natural Bridges you are close to Mule Canyon.  That will give you a chance to photograph the ‘House on Fire’ ruin (this is not the right time of year for good light though).  The Ruin is a mile or two hike from the road. 

Then head towards Moab with a quick side trip to Newspaper Rock.  Then on to Moab to hit Arches, Canyonlands and deadhorse point.

Spend as much time there before having to head back for your flight.

Tony

dgberg

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:38:50 pm »

Thank you Tony and others.
Your short list just shows how much their is to see in this part of the country.
3 to 4 days is really a short time.
Before I get to old and decrepit I need to drive my motor home out here for a month or two.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:14 am »

personally if I were starting in Phoenix and driving for that short of a time, I'd do grand canyon, horseshoe bend and monument valley.  Grand Canyon alone can take up the 3 days. driving to moab from phoenix is a very long drive.  You can hit some nasty weather this time of year, although it's been a mild winter so far.

I've been to sedona in the winter, think it's prob a better spring location.  Monument valley is great anytime of year, as is horseshoe bend.  Monument valley has some nice things available on the loop available to everyone, but a lot of the stuff there you need to hire an indian guide to get to. 

Antelope canyon could certainly fit into that as well ... I'm not sure how it photographs in the winter.  It's on my bucket list, and I've heard best months for it are around may to aug when the sun is higher.  Maybe some could mention if they've tried it this time of year.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 12:05:09 pm »

From Phoenix, Organ Pipe NM and Joshua Tree.

francois

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 12:18:55 pm »

…driving to moab from phoenix is a very long drive. …

Driving to White Sands/NM is also a very long drive, about the same distance if I remember correctly and without all the nice places like MV, Horseshoe Bend etc…
Francois

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:43 am »

If Moab or White Sands are your only two options, the no-brainer is Moab. White Sands is beautiful but it's a one trick pony. There's so much more to photograph around Moab.  In three days you won't even scratch the surface but it will be enough time to convince you to come back for an extended visit.  March is a great time for photography here, too.  It can be downright spring-y or still locked in winter.  Either way, it's awesome.

It is a long drive to Moab from Phoenix.  Someone suggested you use the time to visit Sedona, Grand Canyon, Page, etc.  That's probably a smarter plan as you won't spend as much time in the car, which means more time filling your memory cards.  Another viable option is to visit some of the local areas like Lost Dutchman State Park and Picacho Peak.  If you're there in early March you may well catch the incredible wildflower bloom at or near peak.

If you do find yourself in Moab, stop by new gallery - The Edge Gallery - at 137 N. Main St. and say "Hi".  I'm always happy to share information about the area with visiting photographers.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:50:34 am »

If you do find yourself in Moab, stop by new gallery - The Edge Gallery - at 137 N. Main St. and say "Hi".  I'm always happy to share information about the area with visiting photographers.
Congrats on the gallery Bret.  I'm planning on a quick Moab shoot in the next few weeks so I'll definitely come by and take a look.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:21 pm »

Fantastic! Thanks, Wayne. Look forward to meeting you.

dgberg

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 05:16:25 am »

Bret,
Thank you as well.
Even if I don't make Moab this time it's at the top of my list.
Would love to stop in and see your work and chat for awhile.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 12:58:26 am »

Sedona,Bryce,Zion,Grand Canyon,Monument Valley,Antelope Canyon,Death Valley.

Three areas absent from you list are Capitol Reef, Route 12 in Utah (Escalante), and Canyon Lands. Big potential with some time on your hands...

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 06:50:48 am »

I'd consider a shorter drive to Joshua Tree (under 5 hrs).  In addition to the park there are the volcanic areas around Amboy, the Salton Sea and just east of the Salton Sea is the Anza Borrego area which has some interesting landscapes.  Jim

Peter McLennan

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:17 am »

I'd consider a shorter drive to Joshua Tree (under 5 hrs).  In addition to the park there are the volcanic areas around Amboy, the Salton Sea and just east of the Salton Sea is the Anza Borrego area which has some interesting landscapes.  Jim

Absolutely.  The area around Amboy is really fun.

What about The Painted Desert and Petrified Forest NP?  Relatively close to Phoenix.  I've never been to either.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 04:18:35 pm »

If you do find yourself in Moab, stop by new gallery - The Edge Gallery - at 137 N. Main St. and say "Hi".  I'm always happy to share information about the area with visiting photographers.

Stopped by the other day and you (and the rest of the town) were closed.  :)  Was hoping to catch you by chance.  Our 9 month old got sick and we had to bail early.  :/  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up