Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr3~ page bleed & unequal margins  (Read 1217 times)

rarewolf

Lr3~ page bleed & unequal margins
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:48:03 pm »

Pardon the cross post, but I'm frankly amazed I received no help at the Adobe forum  :(

When printing landscape images from Lr3 I am ending up with unequal left/right margins because I believe Lr has an inaccurate determination of my HP B9180's page bleed dimension (trailing edge of paper).  It's only 1-2mm but definitely noticeable if the edge of the print is close to the frame.  I tried to account for it with 1mm modifications to the Lr top/bottom margins (image's left/right), but ended up with the same printed margins(?)  A couple of questions ...

First, which may require someone's knowledge of the printer itself.  The printer's special media tray has a dashed line for paper alignment, but it is ~2mm wide.  Therefore, depending on if I used the front or back edge of the alignment it may account for the problem ... except that I'd hope the printer actually has an optical sensor for detecting the paper's edge(?)

Second, from what I've read (eg, Martin Evening's excellent text), the printer's page bleed dimensions should be built into Lr margins ... correct?  There inlies the mystery why my margin modification didn't remedy the problem.

Lastly, I suspect I could find the answer empirically, but I don't want to waste the paper and ink.  However, if I do need to to I'll report back (... hopefully without more questions ...<g>...)

TIA & Cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula  :)

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: Lr3~ page bleed & unequal margins
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:22:06 pm »

I've often heard that you can't trust a printer to have a millimeter-accurate paper handling...
It would explain your problem, wouldn't it?
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

rarewolf

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:29:03 pm »

Thanks Nic for your reality check  :)

If so, I'll have to empirically investigate further.  That is, it seems to be a consistent error,  always  an extra 1mm on the trailing edge ... hence the desire for remedying the problem with modifying the Lr trailing margin.

Cheerios  :)

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:46:37 am »

Rethinking to it, the problem could also be that the paper size is not accurate : eg, some A3+/superB/13x19" are 329x483, others 330x483, and that would be more consistent with a constant error.

Otherwise, just add 1mm on the leading edge and it should turn OK?
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

mac_paolo

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:17:12 am »

I ended up by playing with numbers a bit.
I printed a lot of photos that would have been placed behind a ppt, so that uneven margins would have not been visible.
I can't get even margins with Adobe_LR+Epson_R3000+any_paper.
I must say, however, that I'm quite obsessive with these measures.

I tweaked the margins and stored the settings in my printing presets.
I use to print mostly on two paper types and three paper formats, so the quest is not that hard.
My maximum error is now more or less half a millimeter, which is barely noticeable for mid to large borders.
What I learnt so far is DO NEVER trust the image centering that software suggest. Do your homework!

rarewolf

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:22:21 am »

mac_paolo suggests:
"What I learnt so far is DO NEVER trust the image centering that software suggest. Do your homework!"

Thanks for passing on your experience.  I'm not too sure what you mean "homework" ... unless you mean waste paper and ink until I get it right(?)

Cheerios  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up