Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2 to LR3  (Read 1187 times)

GEOFFREYJAMES

LR 2 to LR3
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:16:25 pm »

I have both programs on my computer,  and am working only with LR2.  When I transferred my files to LR3,  they all look as if they were taken in gloomy light.  Some when brought up will darken in front of my eyes.  I am thinking of just using LR 2,  although with the Leica M9,  noise reduction is noticeably improved.  Any advice ?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: LR 2 to LR3
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:27:15 pm »

How did you "transfer your files to LR3"?

The proper way to do it is to open your LR2 catalogue in LR3, in which case you would not initially see any difference in the pictures' appearance. You could then start taking advantage of the better image quality re noise, lens corrections.

As you have LR3, I can't see much reason for continuing to use it - unless you plan to upgrade to LR4 in a month or three.

GEOFFREYJAMES

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »

John -- I simply exported them from 2 to 3.  It may have been a mistake,  but I find much about Lightroom to be counter-intuitive.  I am also not one to keep upgrading all the time -- prefer to learn one thing properly.  The thing that is weird is the way the images darken just as I open them.  It's also quite a but slower, for some reason. 

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:56:52 pm »

When you export a file in LR one needs to nominate a colour space and a file type, TIFF, JPEG, etc.
Re-importing a file back into LR that has a different default colour space to the exported file may result in the unexpected changes in tone and perhaps other characteristics of the file.

The way to prevent these surprises is to use the import option and import files into LR 3 from file. Essentially all one is doing is making LR3 aware of files already on disk. No colourspace conversions occur and no surprises result.

Incidently, any files manipulatd in LR (using process 2003) will prompt a question from LR3 as to whether the file should be rendered using process 2010. This should not affect tonal manipulation but may affectadjustments for noise, sharpening and chromatic abberation.

Schewe or Digitaldog may have more to say on this subject.

My $0.02 worth

Regards

Tony Jay

GEOFFREYJAMES

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:22:46 am »

Thanks, Tony.  I am going to have to buckle down and pay attention to all those tutorials.  My files, BTW,  are DNG's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up