Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using Apple's Multi-Touch trackpad for photo editing?  (Read 15514 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Anyone using Apple's Multi-Touch trackpad for photo editing?
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:53:44 am »

Anyone using Apple's Apple Multi-Touch trackpad for Lightroom and Photoshop work? i have been doing a little  research and see that Adobe enabled multitouch  pad use starting in CS4 applications  (see http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/09/photoshop-cs4-e/)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:14:41 am by Ellis Vener »

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
Re: Anyone using Apple's Apple Multi-Touch trackpad for photo editing?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:54:38 am »

I use it occasionally. For me it works well, as long as I don't use any brushes. That's because dragging while clicking isn't very smooth and you need to press quite firmly. One could possibly circumvent the problem by changing the settings of the trackpad to "click by tap" but I find that to be really awful. It results in a lot of accidently moved files and icons.
Furthermore, when trying to paint I run out of space quickly. The trackpad is just not large enough.

Ellis Vener

Re: Anyone using Apple Multi-Touch trackpad for photo editing?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:14:26 am »

i do almost no painting in Ps except when working on a mask. I have a Wacom Intuos 3 but have just never gotten to the point of being comfortable with it for everyday work.
 and am looking to I am looking to the Apple Multi-Touch trackpad to replace a dying mouse

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
Re: Anyone using Apple's Multi-Touch trackpad for photo editing?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:17:19 am »

Well, if that's the case, then I would give it a try. I use a mouse at work and the trackpad at home. The trackpad is definitely easier on the hand.

John S C

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:49:38 am »

With a bit of practice you can use the magic track pad for retouching. However for delicate work I tend to revert to the mouse or tablet. However for general use I find the Magic Track very easy to use.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:52:15 pm »

the trackpad on my little MBP-13 is quite addictive - for general use - switching between 1 finger (point) and 2 finger (scroll) is brilliant and intuitive - i'm always disappointed returning to a mouse

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:25:38 pm »

the trackpad on my little MBP-13 is quite addictive - for general use - switching between 1 finger (point) and 2 finger (scroll) is brilliant and intuitive - i'm always disappointed returning to a mouse

Magic mouse?  Hate it for retouching, love it for surfing.
Craig Lamson Photo

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »

Never used a magic mouse....  My desktop is running windows

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 08:55:38 pm »

I see.  My MBP is docked to a NEC 2690.

I also have the magic trackpad, and I enjoy using it from time to time. Its a nice piece but I'm just not a big trackpad kind of guy.
Craig Lamson Photo

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 09:05:16 pm »

I use a Intuos 4 on the right and a Magic Track Pad with my left hand, swapping to the keyboard (centre) when necessary. The MTP is fantastic for panning & scrolling the image in Photoshop or scrolling palettes etc. I don't use the click function on it.

mediumcool

Re: Anyone using Apple Multi-Touch trackpad for photo editing?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 02:22:14 am »

i do almost no painting in Ps except when working on a mask. I have a Wacom Intuos 3 but have just never gotten to the point of being comfortable with it for everyday work.
 and am looking to I am looking to the Apple Multi-Touch trackpad to replace a dying mouse

In my experience, you have to work with a tablet a lot to get used to it. Some people use them instead of a mouse. I use a 6x8 Wacom and a Magic Mouse, the most sensitive (in a good way) I’ve ever used.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Ellis Vener

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:44:28 pm »

I am getting used to the Magic Trackpad and Wacom pretty quickly. Still need to work on programming the Wacom so I can be a little faster with it. Thank you for the advice everyone.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:57 am »

My Wacom Intuos is like an extension of my hand - I cannot imagine not using it when in LR or PS - or indeed most other applications.  I even type e-mails with the pen in my fingers ( I am only a three finger typist).  In addition, the bank of keys on the Intuos 4 which can be customised for each application are great when working fast.  But I guess whatever you get used to works best.  I might get a touchpad and try it  - perhaps it would be better for certain applications - I have to admit I enjoy using the trackpad on my laptop for internet browsing.

Jim

mac_paolo

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 06:16:39 am »

Waiting for a Wacom tablet, my macbook pro's trackpad is all I use to drive Lightroom... with a ton of keyboard shortcut, of course!  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up