Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peter Lik new release "Bella Luna", is this ok to you?  (Read 107896 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Peter Lik new release "Bella Luna", is this ok to you?
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2012, 04:20:42 pm »

...  And even Republicans occasionally make mistakes...

You mean like when they turned Clinton's surplus into a record-setting deficit? ;)

sierraman

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2012, 04:41:34 pm »

I thought we were talking about Peter Lik? :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2012, 07:17:07 pm »

You mean like when they turned Clinton's surplus into a record-setting deficit? ;)

You mean the surplus that Reagan created by taking the hard route and accepting an early recession in order to undo the damage Carter had done? That surplus?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »

You mean the surplus that Reagan created by taking the hard route and accepting an early recession in order to undo the damage Carter had done? That surplus?

Ultimately, it is all Eve's fault: deficit of apples and surplus of serpents ;D

jeremypayne

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2012, 09:07:01 pm »

Be fair - credit for the surplus is due to both Papa Bush and Clinton.  The budget deal of 1990 cost Bush his political career, but set-up the boom.  Clinton, to his credit, continued the path established in the second half of the Bush administration in many ways.

That's what I'm talking about.

We can play political ping-pong, or we can talk about the real history and the real economics.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2012, 09:16:37 pm »

Be fair - credit for the surplus is due to both Papa Bush and Clinton...

Whether it is Reagan, Papa Bush or Clinton to fully or partially credit for the surplus, it does not change the fact that eight years of Son Bush turned that surplus into deficit.

RSL

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2012, 06:04:43 am »

No doubt about that, Slobodan. With respect to the economy, Bush was a disaster. But his successor has been a catastrophe.

jeremypayne

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2012, 08:07:29 am »

No doubt about that, Slobodan. With respect to the economy, Bush was a disaster. But his successor has been a catastrophe.

Russ ... Kinda disappointed how nakedly partisan you are.

That's the stuff of talk radio and the talking heads on TV.

Rise above it. Pull back on the stick and fly above the clouds.

RSL

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2012, 08:46:05 am »

I'm not all that partisan, Jeremy, but I can see what's happening without the blinders that seem to be over the eyes of people directly involved in financial markets. What do you think is going to happen when Greece goes tits up and the euro comes crashing down? That point's not far off, since the Germans seem about at the end of their willingness to support Greek lives of luxury. As "the schnoz" used to say: "It's gonna be a catastrostroke."

Rob C

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2012, 09:49:34 am »

Hey, I though Americans only thought about American politics?

Europe and the Euro is a thing apart: so many people bundled together economically but without a common language, standard of living, or ethos, unless you consider the lingua franca of English and the English (Brits!), ironically, as far away from being in the Euro as they can be! So far.

The main problem I see is a matter of national characteristics. The southern people like the mañana idea, and the northern ones find it too cold to wallow in dolce far niente. At least, a couple of generations ago they did. Now, it's all some of them have ever known or want to know. Those with a work ethic (as distinct from an earlier definition of 'ethics') put their back into their job and produce what people want to buy; in Britain, we killed off the industrial base and took an easy slide into 'service' industries where you spend much time on theories and produce nothing except figures in a bank account.

This difference in attitudes and expectations becomes ever so clear when you consider the majority of expat Brits who come out to Spain with the dream of investing their all in a pub: they imagine it's going to be a piece of cake, and then realise that they ain't never going to get the prime sites at a rate that allows them to make money, and that the hours they have to work to stand still are so much greater than ever they were at home. So they go bust, leaving a bad smell and many debts behind them as they vanish off the face of the country. But, the locals soldier on and make it work, more often than not, and I think that's partly because of tradition and lower expectations and absolutely no romanticism about working in bars. And some pretty shrewd minds, well-educated or not.

Take an island like Mallorca, that I know reasonably well after 31 years: apart from tourism, there isn't anything anymore. The building boom was all about selling holiday homes to foreigners; there used to be a lot of farming (the island is far from being a desert) until the European Union paid farmers to slaughter their animals and stop growing stuff; now, instead of being pretty self-sufficient, the place relies on imports for most of everything except spuds, and even they have gone downhill in quality. The Common Agricultural Policy insists on huge subsidies for farmers, most of them French, and even a first dr¡ve through that country will reveal the wealth of working farms they have. Meanwhile, in Britain, they pay/paid farmers to 'set aside' land and do nothing with it but let Nature reclaim it... as if all that came for free! An echo of the European Ideal, except that it came first in Britain. There used to be a very good shoe industry in Mallorca; that's been decimated by Chinese imports...

Perhaps that funny definition of ethics wasn't so funny after all. International cynicism and short-termism is now the name of the game.

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:48:35 pm by Rob C »

RSL

« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2012, 02:07:20 pm »

Hey, I though Americans only thought about American politics?

It's all world politics now, Rob. Here in the U.S., Bernanke's fired out. There are no more rounds in his gun. He threw away most of his ammunition shooting at shadows, and now it's too late. So, when the euro crashes American outfits invested in European sovereign debt are going to be ass-deep in a financial bloodbath. They'll descend on the U.S. government for relief, and in order to survive politically, the government will have to "do something." All they'll be able to do at this point is further debase the currency. Three years ago our politicians brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in hope and change and dedicated to the proposition that some men can live on a free lunch provided by wealthy taxpayers. Now we are engaged in a great political war testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. Wanna bet on the outcome? I think we'll survive, but there's a really tough period ahead. Wish we could run Maggie Thatcher this November -- on either party.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2012, 03:53:14 pm »

Are we talking about the same Bernake who saved us from a decade-long, highly destabilising world depression?  If he had been there in '29 WWII might not have happened.  Revisionist history is almost as much fun as scape goating, and just as credible.

OK, here's how to make some damned money in photography...

1. Browse Pixdaus until you find a great cliche shot taken by some enthusiast.  Thank the Good Lord for photo enthusiasts, they are tireless location scouts and they work for free and if you send them a complimentary email they will tell you exactly when and where they took the shot.  Love 'ya, mate!

http://static2.pixdaus.com/files/items/pics/3/73/94373_523714b775337031cd8100e362bec601_large.jpg

2. Make it your own, Don't even bother to match the excellent technical quality of your enthusiast.  Sell it for $112,500 in the original edition.  Or if it's that last one in your modest edition of 950, charge $1,000,000 and get it. 

But there are bargains to he had
.  PS this is why I eschew anything except sofa size! 

Don't we just hate it when other people get rich on things we do for peanuts?

Rob C

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2012, 03:58:09 am »

Had a look at the bedroom shot of the pic in its 'hung' location: I think I now understand who might buy this garish stuff.

Why do I find myself thinking of Nevada, wild horses and a notorious, eponymous ranch that might, on a heavy day, be mistaken for a Ford?

Rob C

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2012, 07:34:22 am »

I suppose you gents are not really into photography, heh? But heavily into politics??? Do you think you found the right thread???

Please do not answer, but perhaps let this thread get back to OP subject.

Rob C

« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2012, 05:20:40 am »

Anders, it's the unusual capacity of this forum to create (and allow) situations where one thing can lead on to another that's even more interesting than the very narrow boundaries of photography. Tunnel visioned sites and people abound on the Internet; enjoy being part of somewhere different.

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up