Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting out in Product, Med or FF DSLR  (Read 3241 times)

dfphoto

• http://
Starting out in Product, Med or FF DSLR
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:35:39 pm »

Wondering if I could ask opinions of those who shoot commercial jobs for agencies.

With my limited resources, I was looking at buying a Sinar 54m 22 megapixel back and a fuji gx and owned P45 H2 kit for a while but honestly didn't think it was worth the 20k for the quality vs. my old 1dsm3. However, I always noticed the 10-15% clarity or resolution I could see via MFDB over my Canon gear.

I know I loose wide angle on the Fuji but I like that I can do swings and tilts, not sure if this setup  is superior to a Canon TS-E and 5d and maybe the 1dx depending on the reviews.

Thanks so much, David

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Starting out in Product, Med or FF DSLR
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:36:34 am »

Hi,

I don't really understand your question. If you have TS lenses and MF image quality you could check out http://www.hartblei.de/en/hartbleicam1.htm .

My understanding is that the Hartblei works with many Canon lenses and can essentially accept almost any lens or back.

Best regards
Erik

Wondering if I could ask opinions of those who shoot commercial jobs for agencies.

With my limited resources, I was looking at buying a Sinar 54m 22 megapixel back and a fuji gx and owned P45 H2 kit for a while but honestly didn't think it was worth the 20k for the quality vs. my old 1dsm3. However, I always noticed the 10-15% clarity or resolution I could see via MFDB over my Canon gear.

I know I loose wide angle on the Fuji but I like that I can do swings and tilts, not sure if this setup  is superior to a Canon TS-E and 5d and maybe the 1dx depending on the reviews.

Thanks so much, David

Erik Kaffehr

dfphoto

• http://
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:44:58 am »

Hi Erik,

I do not own TS-e lenses, I am trying to decide if I should buy Canon TS-e or this used Sinar back, I'm not thinking the hartibel is what I want to use.

I simply want to know if any commercial shooters think the Fuji sinar 22megapixel is a better setup than a Canon is for commercial jobs.

I probably should have asked the question like that.

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:52:19 pm »

I do not own TS-e lenses, I am trying to decide if I should buy Canon TS-e or this used Sinar back, I'm not thinking the hartibel is what I want to use.

I simply want to know if any commercial shooters think the Fuji sinar 22megapixel is a better setup than a Canon is for commercial jobs.

I probably should have asked the question like that.

Hi David,

I use the GX680III, every day in the studio doing the same type of work you mention. Lately I have been using my H1 with the AptusII5 which I have, for the last few weeks as the GX680 had to go to Japan for a repair. Unfortunately I don't have a lens that allows me to get close for small products on the H1. As a stop gap measure I have been using a 5DmkII and the Canon 100mm macro L lens, so I am shooting both side by side. As I said it is a stop gap measure only, the 5d mkII files are not even close to the AptusII files. If you can afford it, go medium format, the difference is like night and day.

Cheers,
Jason.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

Pics2

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:17:39 am »

Jason, great portfolio you have. I like product and jewelry shots, are they all shot with Leaf Aptus II 5?

photo570

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 04:32:29 pm »

Jason, great portfolio you have. I like product and jewelry shots, are they all shot with Leaf Aptus II 5?

No they were not. Most of the jewellery was shot with a Leaf Cantare XY (google it), all of the glass was shot with the AptusII as was the fashion and people stuff. The landscape were almost all done with a 5D, except for the obvious Blad shot, as I am lazy and don't want to carry the weight of MF in the field. All of the nudes were shot on film with a Bronica ETRSi.

Cheers,
Jason.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

Pics2

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 04:00:19 am »

Thanks Jason! I'm deciding on my future system, so every bit of information helps ;)

BAB

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:34:11 pm »

Jason are you using a tent for your jewelry shots?
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

photo570

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 05:17:16 pm »

Hi there,

I have a Broncolor Cumulite (two actually) a Cumulite mini and also use hard Perspex panels. Light tents are no good, as you can see the texture of the fabric in the reflective surfaces of the jewelry, not a good look.

Cheers,
Jason.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

BAB

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 06:35:18 pm »

thats what i thought where did you purchase the perspex, and do you have it in a cylindrical shape?

thanks
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

photo570

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 10:01:18 pm »

Just a local plastics company, and no, just various shapes of flat sheets.

Cheers,
Jason.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

Pingang

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 08:26:09 am »

long long time ago may be large format, 2 decades ago may be medium format, today may be full frame DSLR, future may be iPhone.  I think the commercial is not about just quality, it is about exposure, you need the commercial to reach as far as possible, and not all commercial need the very best equipment to produce. On the other hand, it is good for really creative professionals who are not limited to only the best and expensive tools.  Having said that, there are still need of high quality gears, but fewer and fewer and fewer, and fewer.

Pingang
Pages: [1]   Go Up