Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering with Phase One Back: Capture 1 OR Lightroom?  (Read 2486 times)

BillOConnor

Tethering with Phase One Back: Capture 1 OR Lightroom?
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:01:48 am »

I know I'm speaking heresy here, but I photograph paintings and as amazing a program as C1 is, I miss the color editing capabilities of Camera Raw where individual colors can be tweaked as to saturation, luminance and hue.
Also would a person or could a person process the same image in both programs?

Thanks

regfran

Re: Tethering with Phase One Back: Capture 1 OR Lightroom?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:56:38 pm »

I use both programs. They both have the same capability(to capture tethered,to edit in Raw, and perform fine adjustments), C1 's color editor is a bit more complicated to figure out, but you can select individual colors to tweak. C1 supports editing on adjustment layers now, so you can burn, dodge, paint with contrast, enhance color etc.. You can use either as your tethering program(but not both at the same time) If you want to to shoot in LR tethered, you can simply use C1 as a browser so that the latest image will pop up(or vice versa). As to color conversion, both program have their advocates. In a recent meeting with the C1 rep, he claimed their color algorithms are so superior that adobe tried to purchase them, I think adobe does a decent job, too. If you are really picky I would create a tiff from each program and then send to a high quality inkjet and see if you can see the difference.

best ,

regfran

BillOConnor

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:55:19 pm »

Thanks for the info. After I wrote that post I tried to tether with LR and it couldn't find my camera, so maybe it's a moot point. I'm sure that a lot of my problems with C1 are with the user. To me, the program is not at all intuitive or it's a different intuition than I'm used to.

Bill

regfran

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30:55 am »

Capture one will look different that the LR interface(which they are changing in 4 slightly). I use C1 every day at the studio  where I work so now it is second nature. It has many different ways to set up the workspace, which can be confusing. Each "Tool tab" can have different controls attached to it. This way you can add controls you need and hide ones you don't care about(right click in the pane and "add tool remove tool". So for example, in camera icon tool tab, start with (for example) , camera  tab(shows tether status), camera control tab(allows you to set exposure f stop and time if your camera is supported), next capture naming, and color space you are going to use.   So that's where you set up the camera,  Then on the exposure tab (looks like a house)  a levels control(or curves if you prefer that), highlight shadow control(like fill light and recovery in LR, and add the tools you are going to use to adjust the image after the capture. The keystone tool can be handy here for example. The process folder is where you set up the "recipes" for output i.e full size tiff, jpegs, small jpegs, etc.

Keep it simple and you will get familiar quickly. The C1 web site has many good tutorials to help you, and they are on You tube too.

good luck

regfran

BillOConnor

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:27:07 pm »

Thanks, I'll probably need it. In retrospect, I guess Photoshop wasn't all that intuitive when I started, it's just adapting to a new reality, which is the story of our lives these days. Every new day, a new reality. Deal with it.

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:14:10 am »

Always capture one 1 with a capture one digital back. The software was built for tethering with their own camera backs.

regfran

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 05:20:59 pm »

I respectfully disagree with this poster. Although Phase One would like everyone to be using their backs, they have smelled the coffee and realize that many users are simply not in the market for their high end products, but want tethering. We use Capture One  with our Canon 5 d' Mk II 's every day and it's works well. We do have to use the canon utility to be able to use live view and add overlays, but both programs play pretty well together.
Pages: [1]   Go Up