Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Exhibition Canvas Recommendations  (Read 59041 times)

JimT

Re: Epson Exhibition Canvas Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 03:37:25 pm »

How would I get a profile for Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte for my Canon IPF8100.  Also, what would be the best paper setting?

Johnny_Boy

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 12:46:34 am »

You will have to custom create one. I've tried matte canvas profile and media setting on Canon ipf8300 with Epson matte canvas and it turned out horrible. You will have to do a color swatch print and scan and profile it. I was hoping someone already has that, so I don't have to do it. :)

JimT

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 11:55:45 am »

Anywhere I can buy a profile for the ipf8100?

Johnny_Boy

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 10:50:02 pm »

Dana - Okay, over the weekend I came in to the studio and printed new targets for Exhibition Canvas Matte using MK ink on my 9900. All clogs were cleared prior to printing the targets and they were printed with the Adobe Color Printer Utility. I now have profiles and measurement data from both media settings - Canvas and WCRW. Along with those targets, I also printed at the same time with no color management my modified Photodisc test image, which includes gray steps and my own color and black and white images added to it.

To be honest, the visual difference was so slight between the two that most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference, although the WCRW version was barely lighter overall - maybe an eighth of a stop in photographic terms - maybe.

I then made a test print with both profiles using the corresponding media setting for each one and I have to say that at first I THOUGHT I could see a darker black in the WCRW version, but after a few minutes I was seeing it the other way. Seriously, both versions are visually identical. Just out of curiosity, I measured the gray step that started out as 0,0,0 in the original RGB, and in the Canvas media setting print, that black patch (printed RelCol BPC) read 22.2L with the Spectrolino, while the WCRW print read an even 22.0L. For all intents and purposes, they're the same but the bottom line is that they look the same, have the same color characteristics and the same gray balance overall.

I always like doing my own testing, and because you made it sound like users were going to see a huge difference, I felt this added test was warranted. I'm right up the road from you off the 90 if you want to drop by some time.

robcoomer

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »

Dano,

What about using this canvas on a 9600 / 7600? Any recommendations? I stocked up on Premium Matte last year, but need to start buying canvas for new jobs. Can I run this canvas or do I need to go to Premier art or some other canvas manufacturer?

Randy Carone

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 08:45:44 pm »

The Epson driver for my 3800 has Watercolor Paper - Radiant White as a Media Type choice. Is it possible that is only a choice when Sheet is chosen? My 3800 driver only offers sheet settings so I'm not able to check.
Randy Carone

mmel

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 12:37:01 am »

Dano,

What about using this canvas on a 9800? Any recommendations?

pfigen

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 03:01:56 am »

"What about using this canvas on a 9800? Any recommendations?"

I sold my 9800 to a friend, but to the best of my recollection, there was a WCRW media setting in the driver. That would be the one to use. What you're probably going to find, as I did, that the different media settings make a very little difference after you've made a good profile, and the most important thing is to use the same settings to print as you do when making the profile. Print out a test image that includes gray steps and look at it. Measure the 0,0,0 black patch and see if one is actually any darker than the others. Pick the media setting that gives you the closest visual to being correct so the profile will have less work to do in the end. The ONLY advantage I found on the 9900 to WCRW over Canvas media setting was that the WCRW setting allowed the use of ABW printing while  using Canvas had that option grayed out and unavailable.

Dano Steinhardt

• Dan Steinhardt Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »

Would someone please tell me which paper setting is supposed to be used in the Printer control panel itself (7900) since there is no setting for WCRW only related choices are Canvas and Watercolor Paper in the Printer itself?

WCRW is an abbreviation used by some for Watercolor Radiant White.  

With the latest 7900 Mac driver, "Watercolor Paper Radiant White" (Which is the same as Watercolor Radiant White) is located in the Fine Art Paper fly-out menu under Media Type.

Dano
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:17:58 pm by Dano Steinhardt »

Dano Steinhardt

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 12:04:10 am »

In the list on the printer there is only  "Watercolor Paper" and "Canvas" as choices. Which is supposed to be chosen on the printer,?please
Not in the driver - on the printer
 David

Sorry bout that.

Per page 61 in the 7900/9900 Printer Guide, for Watercolor Paper - Radiant White select "Watercolor Paper" on the control panel of the printer.

I suspect this shortened version is due to the finite space available within the control panel.

Dano

pfigen

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 02:44:08 am »

Dano - I think that what he's asking is not if he should choose Watercolor on the printer for Watercolor paper, but if he should choose Canvas on the printer and WCRW in the driver when printing on the new canvas media, not watercolor. At least that's my interpretation of the question. I've been using the Canvas setting on the printer for canvas media and it seems to be working well.

Dano Steinhardt

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 11:52:15 am »

Dano - I think that what he's asking is not if he should choose Watercolor on the printer for Watercolor paper, but if he should choose Canvas on the printer and WCRW in the driver when printing on the new canvas media, not watercolor.

A good practice with the 7900/9900, when using Exhibition Canvas Matte, is to set Watercolor Paper Radiant White in the driver and then set Watercolor Paper on the control panel of the printer.

BUT
In this scenario, software overrides hardware and it doesn't matter what is set on the control panel of the printer.

If one ignores the control panel on the printer and sends the file to the printer, the printer will print correctly.

WHY and WHY?

Q.  Why the recommendation to set Watercolor Paper on the control panel if it doesn't matter?
A.   For me its a good habit to get into for other workflows where consistency does matter.

Q.  Why is this choice on the control panel there in the first place?
A.  When doing print head alignments its mission critical to set the correct media type on the control panel. 
     And in non-photographic workflows such as CMYK proofing, the printer control panel does play a role.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Marketing Manager, Professional Imaging
Epson America, Inc.

llevine

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »

Can you give me some specific recommendations for which coating materials are ok with Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte?  I am using an Epson 7890 printer.  I only print occasionally so the easiest coating method would be best.  Sounds like a spray, in an aerosol can, would the easiest but I don't know if it is available.  Thanks.

Dano Steinhardt

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 12:22:53 am »

Can you give me some specific recommendations for which coating materials are ok with Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte?  I am using an Epson 7890 printer.  I only print occasionally so the easiest coating method would be best.  Sounds like a spray, in an aerosol can, would the easiest but I don't know if it is available.  Thanks.

There are many products on the market but some of the ones we tested, along with recommendations for their use, can be found in a pdf next to each of the Exhibition Canvases on the Pro Imaging web site.

The link will take you to the Media section of the site, click on the Fine Art tab and scroll down to Exhibition Canvas Matte to locate the pdf.  There is also a video I did on how to stretch canvas that may be helpful.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/MediaDetailsAll.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Marketing Manager, Professional Imaging
Epson America, Inc.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 09:58:23 am »

For Epson Exhib  matte canvas, you have  many options for coating.  The most common are rolling or spraying a substrate on the finished canvas print.

Within this you have the option of water or solvent based solutions.  I use water based mainly for easy of clean up.  You can either spray or roll on the coating and there is a lot written on this site that delve into more details on both processes.  Also on many of the company sites, there are video's that show recommended methods for rolling and spraying.  Breathing Color has several video's on their site.  You can also now find hundreds of people who have posted videos on youtube.  It's a good idea to watch several so you can pick up on several different techniques.

Examples of water based:
Breathing Color's Glamour II,
Breathing Color's Timeless
Lexjet's Sunset Coating lineup
Clearstar's water based line up

Examples of Solvent based
Eco Print Shield product set

Within each of these families of product you will find, Glossy, semi-gloss, and some now offer a true matte finish.

I prefer to spray, but depending on your environment, you may not be able to setup a spray booth.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 11:59:12 am »

I've found that Clear Shield Type C satin (www.marabu-northamerica.com) works best for all my Epson Exhib. canvases printed on my 9800. That brand does not separate in storage and requires just minor stirring before use. For application I use 1/4" nap RollerLite 6.5 in. rollers from Home Depot costing about $1 ea. I often do 2-4 large canvasses (64" x 18") at a time this way and most often get by with one coat, although you can re-coat as soon as the first coat is dry to the touch.

Garnick

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 11:49:27 am »

For Epson Exhib  matte canvas, you have  many options for coating.  The most common are rolling or spraying a substrate on the finished canvas print.

Within this you have the option of water or solvent based solutions.  I use water based mainly for easy of clean up.  You can either spray or roll on the coating and there is a lot written on this site that delve into more details on both processes.  Also on many of the company sites, there are video's that show recommended methods for rolling and spraying.  Breathing Color has several video's on their site.  You can also now find hundreds of people who have posted videos on youtube.  It's a good idea to watch several so you can pick up on several different techniques.

Examples of water based:
Breathing Color's Glamour II,
Breathing Color's Timeless
Lexjet's Sunset Coating lineup
Clearstar's water based line up

Examples of Solvent based
Eco Print Shield product set

Within each of these families of product you will find, Glossy, semi-gloss, and some now offer a true matte finish.

I prefer to spray, but depending on your environment, you may not be able to setup a spray booth.

Paul

Actually, Eco Print Shield is an aqueous based product as well, so dilution and clean up are done with water.  I use distilled water for the dilution and regular tap water for clean up.  I also use a 6" high density foam roller for application.  With Eco Print Shield you really should shake it rather vigorously periodically in order to keep it in solution.  Even then you will probably notice that when you are ready to use it you'll see little globs of the product as you pour in into the tray for rolling.  Don't be too concerned about the appearance, since these globs will indeed disperse as you roll the coating onto the canvas.  However, it's been my experience that if you don't maintain a routine of shaking the product on a regular basis it will tend to separate more quickly and you'll lose some of the effectiveness of the coating.  It must be kept suspended in solution to be at full strength.  Hope this is of some help.

Gary 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 12:49:43 pm »

Gary,  thanks for the catch, my mistake on Eco.  :)

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

jreederphoto

• www.reederphoto.com
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 01:05:11 pm »

Hi,

Just purchased some epson exhibition canvas satin (signature worthy) S045252 44"
paper for my Epson 9800 with Photo Black ink. Owned this printer for a long
time and had very little issues.

Starting to notice there is less and less support on the Epson website since it
is older.

Anyway, can anyone tell me some good settings for this paper and my exact
printer? I've searched the web for a while and haven't found anything concrete.

I have latest drivers installed on OS X 10.6.8, loaded the canvas and ran a test
print using the Epson Watercolor Radiant White (or whatever its called) paper
profile, I set platen gap to Wide. 1440ppi, high speed.

The first print had head strikes I guess and ended up jamming. Paper seemed
pretty flat. I'm guessing i need to adjust platen gap, suction, paper feeding,
etc. Never had to mess with that stuff because I've been printing with epson
luster for so long :)

Anyone have settings for platen gap, suction, etc.? I guess I thought once you
set printer to the paper type it would make some adjustments, but I guess it
only does the color tweaking?

As for humidity, I'm in San Jose, CA...so humidity is pretty average.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Jordan Reeder Photography
[url=http://ww
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up