Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-glass options for print framing  (Read 2545 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Non-glass options for print framing
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:00:57 pm »

I will soon be putting together a 24-print show for exhibition at a local business. Frame sizes will be (about) 35 x 24". Framing them with glass will be expensive, heavy, and breakable. What are my options for framing with acrylic or other materials? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

brianrybolt

Re: Non-glass options for print framing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:41:43 am »

There are probably quite a few ways of doing this but what first comes to mind (since I'm in the same boat as you although I only have 4 prints to frame) are Acrylic for use with a traditional frame or Diabond for flush mounting.

Good luck.

Brian

Kerry L

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:37:53 am »

Acrylic is a viable option, for cost and weight. It is available in a couple of finishes; glare & non-glare.

Both the original Camera to Print and the new Camera to Print & Screen videos by Michael & Jeff  have a chapter on framing, either one is worth the viewing although I don't remember if they send much time discussing glass vs. acrylic specifically.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:14:39 am »

I used to use glass for exhibits (max size was 20x24"), but after a galley worker dropped one of my pictures and broke the glass, I switched to acrylic and have never turned back. (The print was undamaged, by the way; I just had to put in a sheet of acrylic to replace it.)

If possible do check the lighting where you will be showing to decide whether to go with non-glare or not. With good lighting, correctly positioned, glare should not be much of a problem, and the "glare" surface will show deeper blacks than non-glare does. But with badly positioned lights, you may want to use non-glare.

For acrylic, be sure to get the approved type of acrylic cleaner and clean both sides of each pane. Don't use Windex or regular glass cleaners.

Good luck with the show!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:47:59 am »

Another affordable option that presents beautifully are Duraplaq mounted prints.  They look fantastic, are extremely durable, don't cost an arm and a leg and are unique, so that your work stands out from all the others using more traditional framing methods.  I've had them in various exhibitions and am displaying only Duraplaqs and canvas gallery wraps in my new gallery in Moab, Utah (The Edge Gallery).  A comment I've heard over and over from clients is that the plaques have an almost three dimensional appearance.  It's a much more intimate viewing experience without a slab of glass or plastic in front of your print.

For what it's worth, I'm not associated with Duraplaq other than being a very satisfied customer.  I'm not compensated in any way to promote their products, unless you count the good Karma I'm earning for spreading the word about a great company and a great product.

Best of luck with your exhibition!

PeterAit

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:43:00 am »

Thanks for the info - these look interesting. One question - who makes the print? Do I make it and send it to them for mounting?

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »

You can make the prints and send them to Duraplaq or they can do everything in-house. They've got a large format Canon printer (can't remember the model but I want to say it's an iPF63XX or 83XX series.  Until this week I've been making my own prints.  I sent over two test prints last night.

PeterAit

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:08:28 pm »

Thanks - it looks like a great option. Too late for me and this show, unfortunately. I've got $1500 worth of frames, glazing, and mat board in the next room waiting for my tender attentions.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:54:58 pm »

Yikes. I feel for you. I've been there before and it's not much fun.  If it's any consolation I've got over 100 small prints to make, mat and bag before my gallery opens on March 3. ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up