Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imageprint Issues Second Try  (Read 2742 times)

ippolitois

Imageprint Issues Second Try
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:46:42 am »

I originally posted this on the Printer, Papers and Inks thread and then realized that perhaps I should have posted it here. I couldn't move the thread so I'm putting the hodgepodge of responses in one thread. Hope it makes sense.

I hope someone can help. I recently purchased a copy of IP7 from someone, and when I open an image in IP7, all the dark colors get a blue cast and are highly contrasty.  I have installed and reinstalled the software according to the IP trouble shooting guide and yet I cannot get the image to look like the sample in the photoshop version attached. I did not have this issue ever with IP6 and I’m baffled as to why it all of a sudden it’s happening now. I did submit this to Imageprint for some help but they told me that my software copy is too old and that I would have to upgrade to IP9 at a hefty sum to get some help. I was planning on either upgrading in the summer or getting a Canon printer and that's why I got IP7 for my 4000.

The tech support guy said the following:

"It's tough to say not know more about your images and settings. Since it prints fine, it's likely an issue with the monitor profile on the system. That's the only thing I know of that would effect our preview but not the actual print.  I recall version 7 had some issues with certain monitor profiles so you may want to look into switching your monitor calibration settings."

Does anyone know what he means by  "you may want to look into switching your monitor calibration settings."? I recalibrated my monitor, reinstalled the video drivers and revisited the Win7 color management function, but still no resolution. My knowledge base has run dry.

The images print perfectly, but it does not represent what’s on the IP screen, but represents how it looks on the PS screen. Therefore editing in IP or making any adjustments is impossible.

Win 7 64
Nvidia 450 card
Spyder 3 screen profile

I've installed the latest demo version of IP, recalibrated the monitor several times, and discussed this with Datacolor and I still get the same results. At this point, I've decided to live with this situation like everyone else who's told me too. It's interesting that most people who use IP disregard the preview in there software even though they tout it to be fully color aware. Even inexpensive software has better color management feature than IP.

The only thing left to rule out is the graphics card, but it's not going to happen as it's working well for everything else. I realize now that I should have posted this in the Color Management section.

I created both V2 and V4 profiles with my Spyder Elite and yielded the same results. I then dusted off my old i1 display calibrator thinking it was the Spyder profiles as some have suggested but I got the same results with the i1 device profiles. The only thing left to try is a different graphics card. Currently, I have an Nvidia GTS450 and that's the last thing I can think that might be the issue. There is very little on line about this matter. I might swap out the 450 for my kids ATI card and see if it's the Nvidia drivers. Most replies I have gotten so far is to use IP as a print driver and forget about the other features. Ironically, the files look proper in the file browser. I set the color management to Adobe Print profile and the images looked almost correct but switching back to the proper ink/paper combo, and voila, back to the issue.

IP has now just become a print driver without using any of the editing capabilities it has to offer. I'm relying on the color managed photo editor to create the files properly and luckily, IP is printing them as shown in PS.

If anyone is having success with IP and able to use all the editing features, can you please tell me the hardware you're using, profiling device and OS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Pandora

Re: Imageprint Issues Second Try
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 07:10:03 am »

This sounds like a miss-match between the Colour Space IP is using and what was actually used to render the image when it was created (and perhaps embedded with the image or not if the image does not include an embedded profile). To check this I would be inclined to look under "View", "Preferences", "Profile" and check to see how IP is set up to manage embedded profiles or what profile to assign if no profile is embedded.

I think the default is to "Apply" the embedded profile.  But if you set it to "Ignore" you can cycle through the available RGB profile and see how much these affect the rendering of the image on the screen - and they do have a major impact.  Obviously you need to set it up so IP uses the correct Colour Space for the image in question.

Hope this helps and apologies if you've already checked this.

Peter

drcahmss

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:37:48 am »

This sounds very similar to the problems I have been having with Flexcolor software not showing the correct colour in its previews.
I am sorry I cannot help but I will point you at my discussion thread which may give you some ideas.
If you have any ideas to solve my problem they will be much appreciated.

Have a look at   http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=52431.0

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:30:05 am »

"It's tough to say not know more about your images and settings.   I recall version 7 had some issues with certain monitor profiles so you may want to look into switching your monitor calibration settings."

Does anyone know what he means...

Yes, he’s telling you in no firm terminology, it is a bug with ImagePrint!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ippolitois

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:17 pm »

I tried an ATI X1300 and Nvidia Quadro 3700 and got the same thing.

So now I want to entertain a different hypothesis. I want to go over my workflow and see if I'm making a mistake. After 20 years, I suspect that maybe I might be doing an profile assignment error and don't know it. I shoot Nikon D700 RAW NEF.

1. Edit and process my RAW files in Silkypix Pro5
2. Export using Adobe 1998 profile as JPG at 100% quality
3. Edit in Photoline or PS4 and save as JPG with the same profile.
4. Print in Imageprint

Is there anyway that there are differences in the Adobe 1998 profiles between different programs or a different profile is assigned to the file when saved? I'm now wondering if there is something different. Would I be better off using sRGB?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

JaneS

• ColorByte Software
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:36:53 pm »

ImagePrint Version 9 now includes support for ICC-4 monitor profiles, previous versions did not. An update would solve the problem.
Jane Steinlen
ColorByte Software

ippolitois

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:49:44 pm »

ImagePrint Version 9 now includes support for ICC-4 monitor profiles, previous versions did not. An update would solve the problem.

Hi Jane,

I cleanly installed both V8 and V9 with the same results as shown in my OP. At this point my only way to get some info from Colorbyte on this is to upgrade to V9, but I suspect from other messages I got regarding this matter, I will be disappointed with there response. I originally bought this version as a lower cost solution to my IP6 version until I decided if I was going to stay with Epson or by another printer in the summer. I'm not sure why my editors all work perfectly with the same file and match the IP output, but that mystery still alludes me. I have until Sept. 2012 to upgrade and I'm not going to deviate from that.

I checked my monitor profile and they are V2 and I confirmed it with Datacolor as well. I'm coming to the conclusion that it is what it is and I have to disregard the IP preivew and rely on the Photoline (59 Euro) software to correctly soft proof for me. The bottom line is that the blacks are clipped and the overall contrast does not match the IP final output. I processed that file in 4 RAW converters with remarkably the same results in IP preview screen.

I have to admit that I'm just not smart enough to figure this one out and am learning to live with it.

Paul

JaneS

• ColorByte Software
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:52:53 pm »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. If you're seeing this issue with the V9 demo you installed, we'd like to see a test file. If you still have the V9 demo installed, our support department would like to pursue this with you. Please contact them by email and they'll let you know exactly what to send.

Best regards,
Jane
Jane Steinlen
ColorByte Software

ippolitois

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 01:54:59 pm »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. If you're seeing this issue with the V9 demo you installed, we'd like to see a test file. If you still have the V9 demo installed, our support department would like to pursue this with you. Please contact them by email and they'll let you know exactly what to send.

Best regards,
Jane

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your reply. I can send you the RAW file and the JPG that I've been playing with and see if you can deconstruct the problem. Let me know if you want me to send the files. Unfortunately, I don't have a V9 license and I had to uninstall it to continue print jobs. So, I have V7 working right now and don't plan at this time to reinstall it V9. Please contact me off line if you wish to discuss this.

I'm hoping that the solution is a simple one and if been making a mountain out of a molehill.

Best Regards,

Paul

JaneS

• ColorByte Software
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:15 pm »

Hi Paul,

If you have the opportunity to reinstall V9 in the future , please send me a note offline and I'll make sure support follows up with you on this issue.

Best regards,
Jane
Jane Steinlen
ColorByte Software

ippolitois

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 06:53:31 pm »

Hi Paul,

If you have the opportunity to reinstall V9 in the future , please send me a note offline and I'll make sure support follows up with you on this issue.

Best regards,
Jane

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply. I'll review my Imageprint needs in August 2012 and let you know then if I plan on upgrading to V9 and at that time, I will contact your support team if I any help. In the mean time, I will muddle along with V7, relying on my 59 Euro program to ensure that I'm properly color managed. So far this is the only reliable method I've come up with to print in IP7.

Best Regards,

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up