Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In The Square. SMA, Mexico  (Read 1352 times)

C Debelmas

In The Square. SMA, Mexico
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:13:09 am »

What is most interesting for me in photography is the intention of the photographer, much more than the technical tools used to produce it.
Since I don't know how to "read" the recent home page photograph (In The Square. SMA, Mexico), and feel a bit "uncomfortable" with the large dark shape on the right side of it, I would be more than happy if, Michael, you could explain why you made it and why you composed it the way it is. No need to add that, in general, I do appreciate your photographs (so I think there must be a reason...).
Thank you in advance.

Christophe

Rob C

Re: In The Square. SMA, Mexico
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:34:05 am »

Man , you just get it or you don't; that's what photography, apart from basic product, is all about.

For my part, I love the neat little ass on the left. Please, don't look for a donkey - it's all in the mind.

;-)

Rob C

Pete Berry

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »

What is most interesting for me in photography is the intention of the photographer, much more than the technical tools used to produce it.
Since I don't know how to "read" the recent home page photograph (In The Square. SMA, Mexico), and feel a bit "uncomfortable" with the large dark shape on the right side of it, I would be more than happy if, Michael, you could explain why you made it and why you composed it the way it is. No need to add that, in general, I do appreciate your photographs (so I think there must be a reason...).
Thank you in advance.

Christophe

Well, you can get knee deep in artists' intensions, but in the end the work's got to stand on its own, doesn't it?

What I see here is a very strong, graphic image, cropped so that figures are transected by the edges, only enough showing for each of us to write our own scripts, which will likely be at odds what was actually happening in the relation of one figure to another. An image that forces questions from the viewer, and frees the mind to answer, is intrinsically more interesting to me, and is what makes some street photography so compelling.

Whether Michael was looking at a deeper, interpretative level than the image itself presents is immaterial - to me at least. Yes, it's unsettling, threatening, with just enough of the strong face (to the eyelashes!) and large hand showing to set us aback - as likely showing the whole figure would not have the immediacy this has.

What I WOULD like to see is the uncropped image in comparison, which would lend some insight into his creative vision and process.

Pete Ferling

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:16:16 am »

It's a humbling look into the daily lives of folks living in a very different world.  I imagine these folks have little in the way of possession, a five year plan and an a desire to catch up on Facebook.  Look how clean that street is.  I haven't seen that kind of pride and work ethic where I live.  I didn't even notice the large dark shape.  Michael doesn't need to explain, the story is in the shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up