Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real Winter in Ontario... Finally!!  (Read 2498 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Real Winter in Ontario... Finally!!
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:04:45 pm »

Here are four from the last couple of days...
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sdwilsonsct

Re: Real Winter in Ontario... Finally!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:01:55 pm »

Looks like you went north, Terry!
All nice. Especially #4. I am wondering about how contrasty clouds should be before they start looking overprocessed (especially for my own pictures). This is a good balance.
Scott

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:51:19 pm »

#2 #3 #4 - the near/far seems forced.

#1 snow on dark trees echoes the pattern on the ice, the trees and clouds echo the diagonal movement of the nearest ice/snow edge, the pre-dawn glow tugs towards that distant horizon, and cold cold bluish snow.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:54:36 pm by Isaac »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:14 pm »

All four very nice, Terry.

I wish you could send some of tha snow down here to Massachusetts (last day of January, and the ground is absolutely bare, with temperature heading to around 60 F or 15 C tomorrow).

My wife and I want to use our new snowshoes.   :(

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:23:50 am »

Spring seems to have settled in here in Victoria... Glad too, those three days of winter were brutal!

Mike
(who's had enough years in northern Ontario, Quebec and other places to know winter)
If your mind is attuned t

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:13:47 pm »

The first one sings. It is very winteresque and colorful at the same time.

jalcocer

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »

I like them all, but the last one is my favorite by far, the sky looks great, and the lonely three in the foreground gives a really nice touch to the picture, this picture really made my day, thanks for showing them.

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 02:55:50 pm »

Good images all, 3rd has a wonderful sense of depth and great contrast in the FG snow....very well done
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:39:01 pm »

Isaac, I see what you mean about "the near/far seems forced". I must admit to "getting my back up" when I first read your comment, but you're correct - given the conditions of the day and the limits of the landscape I was working within (dirt road with snow plough mounds right behind me) they were "forced". I'm just sorry they appear that way. Like you, I don't appreciate it when the technique becomes the photograph!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 11:30:29 am »

Isaac, I see what you mean about "the near/far seems forced".
The contrast between those 3 photos and the first provoked me to the obvious speculation that a good near/far will have near subject matter with enough visual interest that we'd think about making a photo of it.

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »

I think they are all nice images individually, but I really appreciate them as a set.
-Sean [ we

rambler44

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 06:06:44 pm »

As I learn about landscape photography, I see these as excellent examples making use of the wide angle lens.

I see large or at least close, in focus subjects in the foregrounds.  I noticed lines sometimes tress, other times lines in the snow leading us into the background over expansive middle ground to a clearly focused background.  They nicely adhere to the technique of thirds ( I purposely avoided the four letter word starting with "r").  The snow appears white, not gray.

#...263 has nice shadows from the grass tufts, giving a bit of contrast to the scene,  along with the blue sky and clouds. I would give this image the #1 star.

The skies are not all that exciting which is why we do not see more of them, we see only what is interesting.  The foreground images add a nice sense of scale.  There are no distracting "extra" elements that do not fit into the scene.  We see a natural relationship between the different elements, snow, snow covered trees, or winter grasses.  The subject matter has been kept simple.

This photos are indeed suitable for framing!

BTW Eric, be careful what you wish for.  Can we really get through winter here in MA without having to shovel?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:12:23 pm by rambler44 »

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 08:48:28 pm »

I like the compositions you have displayed, although the tree stumps in the last photo are just a bit too tight in the lower right corner for my own taste. I love the bluish tint in the first image, and feel that it best portrays the cold bitterness of the day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up