Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon, Sony results: single function mobile devices RIP?  (Read 1428 times)

BJL

Canon, Sony results: single function mobile devices RIP?
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »

First my apologies if this appears twice; my first effort seems to have vanished.

Canon and Sony had both announced very disappointing sales of "snapshot" cameras: at best, up in "emerging markets" enough to offset declines in developed countries (worse that that for Sony). Canon printers are going the same way.

The standard interpretation is that mobile phones are replacing snapshot cameras, but pure mobile phones are doing even worse (ask Nokia, Ericsson, Palm, Motorola, and RIM). The replacements are called "smart phones" but they are no more phones than they are cameras: these are just two of multiple functions, justifying far less than half the price of such devices, because increasingly, people are not willing to make room in their pockets and purses for a device that does only one thing. Ditto for dedicated portable music players, game players, PDA's, and even watches. Even printers are suffering in part because no many snapshots are viewed only on-screen, and often only on the small screen of a mobile device.

The formerly leading mobile phone companies are being decimated by outsiders like Apple, Google and Samsung, with Microsoft and Sony making efforts too. Does a similar fate await camera makers who do not develop more integrated products for the consumer market? Already, Konica-Minolta, Olympus and Pentax have suffered to various degrees while Sony, Panasonic and Samsung move in; will Canon and Nikon have to make major changes too? I suspect that retreating to the high ground of DSLR's and other interchangeable lens cameras could be a move in the direction of Leica: survival with prestige and even profit margins intact, but also with a major down-sizing.

P. S. [Added February 1] Both Canon and Sony have announced the replacement of their CEO's in the days after their poor results news. This might have little to do with digicam sales in particular, but the technological playing field does seem to moving under these giants.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:33:35 pm by BJL »

Rob C

Re: Canon, Sony results: single function mobile devices RIP?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:01:30 pm »

All I can add to this is that the cellphone is the only thing I've used with which to make pictures in a hell of a long time now... Okay, for anything serious it would be different, but as far as the amateur goes - where I place myself these days - why bother carrying all that expensive stuff around, risk getting mugged, and all for what - to end up with some pics on a screen somewhere? How many people are making money selling prints as amateurs?

Keep the fun, the surprise alive; it's worth more than a bent back.

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:18:01 am »

The key question is the experience provided to the user.

Why do I use my iPhone instead of a low end compact?
- it enables me to upload pics right away to Facebook (connectivity),
- it enables me to apply some pretty advanced processing to me images on the go thanks to the usage of the application I chose (openess).

Thom Hogan wrote a lot about this a long time ago, camera manufacturers just had to provide connectivity and openness to their platforms to stop the killing, yet none of them have realized this yet or at least been willing to execute on this.

Now, I am not even sure this is would be enough at this point in time because the smartphone has pretty much captured the sweet spot for single mobile device ownership. So instead of providing a duplication of the UI, they might as well enable local wifi uploading of their images to the phone and let the phone behave like a computer from then on. This is the very market being targeted by the wifi SD cards in fact, but integration is a bit poor without device buy in.

So if I were Nikon, I would know what to do now but won't share it here.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:54:57 am »

The key question is the experience provided to the user.

Why do I use my iPhone instead of a low end compact?
- it enables me to upload pics right away to Facebook (connectivity),
- it enables me to apply some pretty advanced processing to me images on the go thanks to the usage of the application I chose (openess).

Thom Hogan wrote a lot about this a long time ago, camera manufacturers just had to provide connectivity and openness to their platforms to stop the killing, yet none of them have realized this yet or at least been willing to execute on this.

Now, I am not even sure this is would be enough at this point in time because the smartphone has pretty much captured the sweet spot for single mobile device ownership. So instead of providing a duplication of the UI, they might as well enable local wifi uploading of their images to the phone and let the phone behave like a computer from then on. This is the very market being targeted by the wifi SD cards in fact, but integration is a bit poor without device buy in.

So if I were Nikon, I would know what to do now but won't share it here.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, you can't get away from the fact that in sunshine, these devices (cellphone cameras) suck! Hell, you can't even see the subject! One huge improvement: a rudimentary viewfinder/framefinder.

Rob C

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:04:53 am »

Bernard, you can't get away from the fact that in sunshine, these devices (cellphone cameras) suck! Hell, you can't even see the subject! One huge improvement: a rudimentary viewfinder/framefinder.

Rob C

Absolutely true.  I was trying to shoot with my Samsung SII in a snowy landscape just the other day.  The LCD panel was a black void.  The entire device was essentially useless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up