Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock 32HR: behavior at f8, f11 & f16  (Read 2250 times)

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
Rodenstock 32HR: behavior at f8, f11 & f16
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:11 am »

This lens is being strongly considered for purchase, and would like some feedback from those out there using this lens.  Rodenstocks are known for a "sweet spot" at f8 - is this true for this lens?  Also, as you go up to f16, does the image quality degrade significantly or is it a moderate decline?  I know the latter question is rather open ended, but some feedback would be great.  Are any of you using this lens at f16?
Thanks!
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

KevinGSaunders

• KGS Studios
Re: Rodenstock 32HR: behavior at f8, f11 & f16
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:18:09 am »

Additionally, the architectural gang here seems to strongly favor the Schneider for the lack of distortion. Precisely the type of distortion that one would encounter in an architectural setting would be very valuable info as well. A landscape would not be so sensitive to this but a bunch of straight lines would.

Thanks you.

Kevin
Kevin G Saunders
KGS Studios

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:12:49 pm »

Is there any way to be objective about discussions of lens quality? For example, are there MTF charts for these lenses where one can compare on lens against another?

Otherwise much of this becomes "hearsay"

Thanks,
Henry
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

TH_Alpa

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:39:05 pm »

Henry,

Here is the tech data for the 32 HR:

HR Digaron-W 32 mm f/4

and some information for the 28 mm Super Digitar here:

Schneider/ALPA Apo-Helvetar 5.6/28 mm XL

Best regards
Thierry

Is there any way to be objective about discussions of lens quality? For example, are there MTF charts for these lenses where one can compare on lens against another?
Henry

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:40:13 pm »

If the Rodenstock 32 behaves as the Rodenstock 28mm does, then I believe you are done at F11 as much past F11 really starts to show
softness due to diffraction.  What is most impressive on the Rodenstock 28mm is just how well it works at F 5.6 to F8.  Even at F11 I
feel you are going to see a bit of diffraction softness depending on your subject. 

At F5.6 sharpness is actually amazing from what I was able to shoot.  If you add just a bit of tilt then the foreground corners will be
just as sharp up to about 18" from the lens.  IMO most impressive. 

From what I have read on Rodenstock's main site, it seems the 32mm follows the design of the 28mm and 35mm, using a retrofocus
setup. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up