Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG Export - Why Doesn't C1 include corrections?  (Read 6856 times)

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
DNG Export - Why Doesn't C1 include corrections?
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:05:51 am »

I am buying a tech camera with a 32mm lens to use with a P65+ back. An LCC profile will be required to correct lens problems.

My preferred RAW conversion program and cataloging program is Lightroom. However,  to apply LCC profiles I must use C1.

Capture One Pro 6 offers the option of exporting DNG files. However, it appears that all changes made to the image are be discarded when creating the DNG file. That means that the LCC data is thrown away. I can't fathom why they would design the software like this. Do you know if they have plans to fix it so that corrections made in C1 can be included in the DNG file?

My wish would be to bring the files from my tech camera into C1 and simply apply the LCC profile, then export it as a DNG file which would be imported into LR. Then I can continue with my normal workflow.

Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

sandymc

Re: DNG Export - Why Doesn't C1 include corrections?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:30:36 am »

Adjustments embedded in DNGs are Adobe only - Adobe doesn't document how to encode adjustments, so its highly unlikely that C1 will ever support DNGs with adjustments.

Your options are either to export in a non-raw form, e.g., TIFF, or try CornerFix, which does more or less what C1's LCC process does directly on RAW DNGS, but by adjusting the actual raw data, not by embedding adjustments.

Sandy

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:56:52 pm »

I can't fathom why they would design the software like this.

DNG is a "Raw" format - it's absolutely contrary to the fundamental principle of Raw that these files should be "edited" or otherwise changed.

Do you know if they have plans to fix it so that corrections made in C1 can be included in the DNG file?

Nothing to fix. Cap One is giving you the option of a DNG "mirror" of the original Raw file so that you've got an alternative archival option.

Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:08:32 pm »

DNG is a "Raw" format - it's absolutely contrary to the fundamental principle of Raw that these files should be "edited" or otherwise changed.
that is why in a new DNG standard we will have lossy compression and resizing... DNG is also an format that Adobe wants to be used as an intermediate format.

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »

Doesn't change my answer, deejjjaaaa - we don't have to use lossy compression, and Phase One is very clear that their DNG conversion is simply an archival option.

Earlier versions of Cap One's help file actually used to say as much:

Output to DNG
Many see a benefit of using DNG for archival purposes.

Outputting to DNG format in Capture One in essence creates a new RAW file. There are no options for size or compression with this format. All changes made to the image will be discarded when creating the DNG file.

The current help says much the same thing, just leaving out the explicit reference to archival, but still making it clear that the file is saved unchanged from the original Raw:

Outputting to DNG format in Capture One, in essence, creates a new RAW file. There are no options for size or compression with this format. All changes made to the image will be discarded when creating the DNG file.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:40:16 pm by Keith Reeder »
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 02:55:37 pm »

Doesn't change my answer, deejjjaaaa - we don't have to use lossy compression, and Phase One is very clear that their DNG conversion is simply an archival option.
that is a P1's position... DxO can generate an output as a linear DNG w/ certain of their corrections "baked in" that can be passed as an intermediate format to another raw converter in a workflow like LR that can work w/ it further (that is natural for Adobe product as they linearize raw first, demosaic raw second, and then proceed w/ the rest of conversion - so getting input as a linear raw is a normal thing for Adobe's code, which just skips first 2 stages)...  so P1's ideally could do the same at least and consider .DNG just like .TIFF in addition to existing option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up