Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downloading video  (Read 5324 times)

Burness

Downloading video
« on: January 29, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »

Have been using Aperture for some time on my iMac  - no problems.  Today downloaded a short video clip from my Nikon D700. It appeared to be OK but then ground to a halt . Then appeared the deadly spinning disc and at the bottom the spinning processing wheel.  Nothing I could do to recover from this situation. Could not click on anything Aperture. Had the force quite. Tried again same problem. I did notice that there is an empty frame that I assume is the first video frame. Still the spinning ball and the processing wheel. Then tried the repair systems - didn't help. The images are still there in the files - I just can't get at them.  Any suggestion how I can recover from this mess - I need to have access to my work.  It is all backed up with Time Machine, but I am hoping that there is a simpler solution.
Many thanks

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Downloading video
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:25:14 pm »

Does Aperture lock up every time you run it, or only when you try to view that video?

What "repair systems" did you try?  What messages did you get, or are you getting?

What else have you tried/found out since posting your query?

Burness

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:04:04 pm »

Many thanks for the reply. 

Yes, Aperture did lock up every time I tried to run it. Nothing to do with the video. I tried all of the repair systems including using Time Machine to go back a day or so before the effect was noticed. Each time it would start normally and then after around 15 seconds the deadly spinning disc would appear and then nothing.
The only thing that I was able to do was click onto the surrounding frame and move the entire aperture screen out of the way. I actually did this by accident and when I did I noticed that hiding behind this frame was something that normally appears whenever I launch Safari.  A frame with the message saying that the Community Tool bar is not supported by this version of Safari. This has a 'close ' box and that is my normal reaction. because when that is on the screen nothing will work until I kill it.
How this has become a feature of starting up Aperture I cannot imagine, but having just tried opening Aperture again I can confirm that it happened again. I now know to uncover the mystery box and close it, then all works fine. Exactly the same thing happens if I connect a camera. Aperture starts and then locks up until I close the offending box. If I had not looked behind the Aperture screen the mystery would have remained.  Obviously there is an explanation, but I am lost!

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 01:14:58 pm »

It seems odd to me that Aperture would be referencing a Safari toolbar, but the obvious solution would be to locate the offending toolbar and delete it. If you wanted, you could open Console (in Applications -> Utilities), click on All Messages, and then open Aperture and see what messages come up. That may provide some clues.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up