Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 - 5 Clogged Nozzles Won't Clear  (Read 24986 times)

markrichardross

• Mark Richard Ross / Photogpahy
Re: Epson 4900 - 5 Clogged Nozzles Won't Clear
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 09:08:47 am »

Thanks for the encouragement. I also love the output of the 4900.  And I also do not print often, so the regular nozzle checks recommended by Epson tech support makes sense .  I have also ordered a humidifier (see the reply by Randy Carone) for my studio, which together with the nozzle checks, should (I hope) eliminate this problem. 
Mark Richard Ross

markrichardross

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 01:28:56 pm »

I received the "new" (refurbished) 4900 printer from Epson yesterday. It came in perfect cosmetic condition.  After letting the printer acclimate to my environment, I ran a nozzle print test and discovered a few clogged nozzles.  I ran the nozzle clean routine, which did not help and then ran the powerful clean routine.  Three of the nozzles still showed significant drop out.  An individual power clean to the affected nozzles did not alter the print out (or clogged nozzles).  A call to Epson and they are sending me another printer, a replacement for my replacement.  At this point Epson is very responsive (and apologetic), though this is all getting a bit long in the tooth (as am I).  Stay tuned.
Mark Richard Ross

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 03:04:29 pm »

Many times I have found that just letting the printer sit for a few hours up to a full day (left on) will get the ink flowing better than multiple cleaning cycles. This might not help if the printer has a serious problem, but since this printer was just sent to you... I would give it a try.
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

markrichardross

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 03:38:46 pm »

I will try that.  Thanks.
Mark Richard Ross

tsjanik

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 11:25:05 pm »

I wish you and myself well Mark.  I have discovered a similar problem with my 4900: blocks in the VLM and LC that will not clear.  I had a 4800 for 5 years and never had to do a power clean.  Two did nothing for this clog.  Epson is sending another printer, but given how much trouble it was to get the printer to the second floor, it is not the solution I was hoping for.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:14:58 am by tsjanik »

markrichardross

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 12:26:47 am »

Well, I am hopeful that the third time's the charm for me.  The Epson rep I spoke with said they they are thoroughly testing this third printer before they send it to out me (Should not they ALL be thoroughly tested?).  I was very disappointed to find the same problem on the replacement unit as my original.  Like you I never had a single problem with my 4800.  This replacement is due to be shipped Monday, so I will let you know how well it works.  Best of luck to you with your replacement unit (and the stairs).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:37:34 am by markrichardross »
Mark Richard Ross

Farmer

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 02:57:11 am »

Refurb units will be QAed at the time they're refurbed - they generally won't fire them up before sending them to you.  In this case, it sounds like that's exactly what they're going to do, which is excellent service (and appropriate in the circumstances).
Phil Brown

markrichardross

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 10:30:44 am »

Epson's support has been excellent.  They have been working their best to get me a replacement (and solve my nozzle problem). The machines have let me down, not them.  Indeed, they are going to to have the good folks in Indiana (where the 4900's are refurbed, tested and warehoused) fire it up and do another set of diagnostics before shipping it out.  Can't ask for more, other than sending me a new unit  ;).   
Mark Richard Ross

Shane Webster

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »

I hope your replacement's replacement works out for you.  I'm currently on my fifth replacement--my third was DOA like yours.  Epson offered to "test" my latest machine prior to sending it to me and I had a similar response as you.  However, it was a bit of a waste, it least for me.  I had hoped testing would involve setting the machine up and if clogs easily appeared, it would not be sent.  Instead, it seems quite a bit of ink was run through the machine (the maintenance tank was 3/4 filled and most of the initial cartridges were close to empty when I received the machine) and it needed cleanings when I initially set it up. 

markrichardross

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 08:29:28 pm »

Shane,

Your experience is one of my concerns (that they won't really test it, that it arrives as yours did, and i need to go through additional pack/unpack/test/clean/retest/call/repack and wait for a replacement cycles).  There is nothing at this point I can do other than to wait.  My question to you is whether, in spite of the fact that the maintenance tank arrived 3/4 full, and that most of the ink ink had been run through it, necessitating "another" cleaning, did it works as is was supposed to (without clogs), or are you now waiting for your 6th machine?   

I am beginning to rue the day that I sold my trusty 4800. 
Mark Richard Ross

Shane Webster

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2012, 09:55:35 pm »

No, I'm not waiting for my 6th and my current, to me, clogs more than my 7880. That's why I say I have a love-hate relationship with it and have reached détente with it. I let it perform all its auto nozzle checks and I try not to get aggravated as I print a 72 page fine art project for a client in 5 page increments as it may clean nozzles every five pages (it gets worse after the first half). I've just decided that's how it's going to operate for me. The only reason I have this one is because I became particularly aggravated after my previous printer was performing a cleaning after almost every 5 pages, I paused it after 1 page printed following a cleaning and nozzles were again clogged. I called Epson just to find out if it l was normal behavior. I was told no and I acquiesced to them replacing it.  I don't live in either a particularly dry or humid environment but I may try the humidifier route.

simdoc1

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 10:04:13 am »

For what it is worth, I have owned a 4900 for about 6 months and print intermittently (2x/wk is usual). I also have guitars and mandolins so we keep the house at a pretty steady 40+ per cent humidify and I have had only one clog which cleared easily during this period of time. I also bought a dust cover for the printer and use it pretty religiously whenever it is not in actual use. I live in the northeast US so the heating can make the air pretty dry, and it seems like the bonus is that the extra moisture in the air is better for you health.

Jeff

tsjanik

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 08:37:30 pm »

A report on my replacement 4900.  Epson's service very responsive and fast as reported by others.  I recruited a now former friend  :D to help me carry the clogged 4900 down, and the replacement up, a narrow flight of stairs.
The printer came with inks installed and a perfect, signed and dated nozzle check taped to the tray.  After installation, I tried a print nozzle check - nothing on the paper. I tried a print from the console, again nothing on the paper.  Auto nozzle check gave the following:
A power clean solved the problem.  The printer had traveled by air freight, so the low humidity and reduced pressure of a cargo hold may explain the clogging of every nozzle. Seems ok now, best of luck to all with a problem.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:07:09 pm by tsjanik »

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 02:18:43 pm »

Just how common is the clogging problem with the 4900?  After all, in their promotional literature, Epson expressly claims that the printer has a new "ink repelling coating for dramatically reduced nozzle clogging."  Is this just BS, or are those few who have experienced repeated clogging posting on this forum?

Rob

tsjanik

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 10:37:42 pm »

Just how common is the clogging problem with the 4900?  After all, in their promotional literature, Epson expressly claims that the printer has a new "ink repelling coating for dramatically reduced nozzle clogging."  Is this just BS, or are those few who have experienced repeated clogging posting on this forum?

Rob
Rob:

In my limited experience, I have not seen many reports of clogging compared to previous Epson printers. I can tell you that the Epson rep responded quickly when I told him that a clean did not clear the nozzles with "that is not normal".  He then suggested a replacement printer, which so far, is fine.

Tom

markrichardross

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 05:26:42 pm »

As a coda to my 5 clogged nozzle story, I purchased the Venta humidifier as recommended by a number of people in this post.  While I was waiting for the third replacement to arrive from Epson (all the previous replacements had the same clogged nozzle problem and no manner of cleaning/power cleaning would solve the issue), I had to leave my studio for three days.  I left the humidifier running.  Upon return I ran a nozzle check on replacement Unit #3, and lo and behold, most of the nozzles had "miraculously" cleared.  A regular nozzle clean cycle cleared up the  (very) few remaining clogs.  I now had the printer running properly and everything was as it should be.  Once again, I was a happy camper.  The output was just what I had wanted/expected.

I contacted Epson Pro Services again and told them that indeed, the humidifier "trick" had done the job and I no longer needed the replacement.  I related that the info I'd gotten had all come from this blog/community and suggested that LL would be a good place for them to learn what was really going on with their printers and glean some info on possible real-world solutions.  The rep took down all my info regarding the fix, including how long I let the unit sit in the now humid atmosphere of my studio (about 60 hours) and relative humidity (40%) prior to its being able to clear a clogged nozzle and work properly.  I must say that Epson was great through this whole process.

This solution may (or may not) work for others with this problem, but it certainly did for me.  (For the record, I had also tried the can of water solution, which did NOT work).  I appreciate everyone's ideas and help with this.  Thanks again.   :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:05:29 pm by markrichardross »
Mark Richard Ross

bwana

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 12:09:57 am »

please forgive the next naive remark/question but it is on the level of 'putting a can of water near the printer'.
the printer (3800) came in a big plastic bag. I have the printer sitting on some green foam bricks that i put in the bag (the kind you buy at a craft store for sticking flowers into. whenever i am done with a printing run, i tape up the bag. when i am not going to do any printing for a month or more, I throw a sopping wet towel into the bottom of the bag and tape it up around the printer. does this sound really stupid or just mildly demented? i cannot see the harm except the possibility of mildew growth-

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 02:06:47 am »

If it were me and I didn't like its looks I'd reject it and tell Epson it is unacceptable.  See if Epson will repaired on-site.  If not, I believe you also have the option of bringing it to an authorized repair shop.  Depending on where you live that may be a good option. 

Jim
Epson does not repair 4900's on site.

On a 4900 they may or may not ship a refurb printer, prob. depending on availability. It also could be with the 4900 just shipping new is easier than replacing parts. A refurb unit is pretty much factory new.  All key components are new (head, cap assembly etc.)  I would be surprised if you could tell it was ever used.  I also had a 7900 replaced, and no problems with the replacement printer.

tsjanik

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 06:03:46 pm »

Three weeks with the replacement 4900 and not a clog.  I don't even bother printing noozle checks anymore, well maybe, but not as often.

Tom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up