Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patagonia  (Read 3343 times)

Henry W

Patagonia
« on: December 08, 2004, 10:37:37 pm »

Hello Sergio,
The only person I am aware of with knowledge of that area is
Thom Hogan. His email is
His website is: http://bythom.com
He was a friend of Galen Rowell and is one of the great sources of relevant info.
Henry

I hope that helps.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
Patagonia
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 08:37:51 pm »

Thank you very much for your responses. I will most probably be staying at a hotel and doing day trips. I am going with my family, so its a mixed trip. Is there any hotel you recommend and that is well located? Can you do the day hikes on foot or do you need a car to do these? If so, do you know where car rentals are available in the area. From what I hear it is pretty remote.  

We decided after doing T. del Paine going into Calafate to Perito Moreno and the other glaciers. Any advice on that too?
Thanks.

Sergio

didger

Patagonia
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 09:52:42 pm »

in a mixture of camping and huts
What is the cost for staying at these huts?  Is Chile generally expensive to travel in by US standards?

I can't afford a Patagonia excursion any time soon, but it is on my list...

Julian Love

Patagonia
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 08:26:02 am »

The huts cost something in the region of 27,000 pesos full board (i.e. including a packed lunch) which at the moment is about GBP13. You can just turn up and pay....but they get busy (especially on the "W" which is much more poular than the circuit). It is best to pre-book them through Andescape in Puerto Natales and pick up vouchers before you go. If you need to make changes to your itinerary then the huts can radio ahead and tell the ext one along that you will be late etc. This worked for us in mid-December, but I gather that they get very busy in Jan and Feb so this may not be possible then.

To get an idea of the landscape, as mentioned Galen Rowell visited Patagonia several times. You can see some of his classic images here.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
Patagonia
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 07:52:33 pm »

I am planning a trip to Patagonia. I want to go to Torres del Paine, and after to Ushuaia and its region. I will be in Santiago in Chile for the first week. Any location ideas around Santiago and Patagonia for good photography? I will also be for 5 days in Buenos Aires.
Any ideas suggestions are welcome. Thanks,

Sergio

Julian Love

Patagonia
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 09:06:25 am »

I spent 6 weeks in southern chile in 2002 - the lake district and patagonia. 10 days were spent in Torres del Paine national park.

The whole park is spectacular, but there are some particularly oustanding features which should not be missed: the Torres del Paine themselves, the Grey Glaciar, and the Valle Frances.

There are two trekking routes, which take these sights in. The "circuit" which circumnavigates the whole Paine massif in take about 8 days, and requires a tent, and the "W" which covers the front side of the park, taking in most of the key sites in about 5 days and can be done entirely hut-to-hut.

I did the full circuit with a couple of side trips in 10 days, in a mixture of camping and huts. The size of your pack and the distances to be covered do limit your photography somewhat...i.e. no tripod and a limited selection of lenses to keep the weight down. I used an FM3A and three primes in a bum-bag worn in front, so I could access them easily.

If you take the "W" and stay in huts, you can carry more gear and take more time over your photography, as you only need to carry a day pack with lunch, water and a sleeping bag. The daily distances are similar, but as you are travelling light you go much faster. If you are planning this route, you need to book the huts in advance, especially in Dec, Jan or Feb. You can also book meals - dinner, breakfast and a packed lunch - at each.

The most common photographs you see in books are not actually taken from either of the routes, but from the southern edge of the park looking back over Lago Pehue or Lago Grey to the Cuernos del Paine mountains or the Grey glaciar. These are lovely views, but they are not nearly as spectacular as the ones you can get close up.

Are you planning on hiking/camping through the park at all, or will you be staying in one of the hotels and making day trips?

Julian Love

Patagonia
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 09:07:26 pm »

I don't know too much abou the hotels, as I didn't stay in them.

However, I do know that the closest hotel to the Torres themselves is the Estancia Paine, near the Laguna Amarga entrance on the East side of the park. The bus from Puerto Natales will drop you at the entrance and there will be a minibuus waiting to take you on to the Estancia. This is also the start of both the trekking routes. The Torres are a long round-trip day hike from here (c. 3-4 hrs each way). To catch them at dawn you need to stay at Refugio Chileno (2hrs) or at the campsite beneath them (1hr).

There are also a couple of other hotels on the southern side of the park, but I don't remember the names. Any guide book will mention them. There are buses that run a few times each day from the Laguna Amarga entrance along the south side of Lago Pehoe and Lago Grey that also stop at these hotels. There are nice views from here across the lakes, but the bus will not stop for pictures. You will either need to do day hikes or rent a car (probably from Punta Arenas - you are right, it is pretty remote).

Julian

Bruce Percy

Patagonia
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 07:13:20 am »

Hi Sergio,

I've been to Torres del Paine and I'm actually returning to Patagonia next April time.

I would strongly recommend that you go to Los Glacieres national park. It is just over the border from Torres del Paine, and there are some spectacular sights there. In the southern region of Los Glacieres is Perito Moreno Glacier - one of the major highlights of South America, and in the northern region of Los Glacieres is the Fitzroy mountain range, equally as impressive as Torres del Paine is.

In terms of travelling etc, distances are short, but times are long due to the awful road conditions (or lack of!).

I would suggest that Torres del Paine could easily take up a week or more of your time, likewise Fitzroy.

Galen Rowel has taken some superb pictures of this region.
Pages: [1]   Go Up