Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon in Dec/Jan  (Read 3023 times)

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Antelope Canyon in Dec/Jan
« on: December 05, 2004, 01:34:17 am »

My 1st trip to the Antelopes--there are 2--was on 26 Dec 2000.  Check Portfolio 1 in my Webshots album here.

You'll find not many people and will have lots of time.  The upper canyon is more accessible and maybe a little easier to fotograf, but they're both great.  Plan to be there by maybe 11am and spend 2 - 3 hours in each.  They're just a few miles from the middle of Page, AZ.

Search this site for lots more info on what you should and shouldn't take with.

gtal

• http://www.scenicwild.com
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 10:00:56 am »

Brent,

I'm sure you meant no harm by it, but you probably shouldn't be using Briot's image and bandwidth in this context without his permission.

The Page area is actually quite nice in the winter months with a couple of caveats:

1) It will be cold though if you're not bothered by it, it shouldn't be an issue
2) The sun remains very low so some images you've likely seen that require direct overhead light may not be possible or may present a very narrow window of opportunity
3) There's always a chance of overcast skies in winter that will make those "glowing wall" images non existent

Other than that, winter is not very prone to flash flooding (though always check the weather report for rain before going in), and human traffic should be at a minimum.

Guy
Scenic Wild Photography
http://www.sc

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 10:56:50 am »

I was there last Monday/Tuesday Nov 29, 30.  Absolutely you should make the effort to spend some time.  Lower is unguided so you can spend as much time as you like.  Upper is guided and you can't just go whenever - Antelope is a site for tours - call them and make sure they will be able to facilitate the time you want.  They  wouldn't give me a "photographers tour" even though I tried in advance - there was just me that wanted a longer time.  I was on a tour with 14 other folks, first thing in the AM, 9:30 and the light was sufficiently interesting.  I managed to stay just ahead of the group going in and out - so got my fill in the hour that I had.

Check out Horseshoe Bend while you are there.  

It will be a while before I manage to get my shots on my web site...

Brentbat

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 04:18:54 pm »

OK, Here's the scoop... I have been living in USA for the past 4 years but I am about to depart for my native Australia.

Recently I came across Alain Broit's stunning images of Antelope Canyon

So I am going thinking about trying to organize a quick trip out to Antelope Canyon for 3 or 4 days of photography.... Anybody know what it is like in Dec/Jan?  I'm not too bothered by cold, but I don't want to waste my time/money if it will be a washout.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Brent

Brentbat

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 09:26:37 am »

Thanks Jeffrey, some nice photos

I think I will go ahead and try to sneak a trip in before I leave USA.

Brent

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 12:23:15 pm »

Brent, thx for the compliment.  Antelope Keyhole is in the northern end of Upper, just BEYOND the climb-up-and-out steel stairs.  I've shot it a couple times since, but the light was not as glowing as during that 1st trip, so I keep that one.

Guy's comment about light and weather are correct; check the weather forecasts before you commit.  Fotogs definitely need sunlite above for those glowing walls.  And you won't get any of those boring-and-everybody-but-me-has-one sunlite-spots-on-the-floor pics in the winter, but who'd want one?
Pages: [1]   Go Up