Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade Questions  (Read 2403 times)

markymarkrb

Upgrade Questions
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:38 pm »

Questions:

Can you purchase a non-working H1 camera and be eligible for the Hasselblad H4X upgrade program?

Can a phase one back mount be modified to go from a Phase 645DF mount to a Hassy mount? cost?

Thanks,
Mark

JV

Re: Upgrade Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:47:18 pm »

Changing the mount of a Phase One back used to be $3K.  That was around 2 years ago. 
Not sure whether the price has changed in the meanwhile.
And Phase One doesn't really change the mount, you get a different back...

I have never heard about Hasselblad testing whether the H1 is still operational...
I also have no idea what they do with the H1 bodies...
Please take into account though that you only trade in the body, not the viewfinder, battery grip, etc.
A used H1 body tends to cost around $1K, the entire H1 system around $2-2.5K, sometimes less.

JV

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:06:11 am »

I just had a look on eBay, prices seem to have gone up slightly, probably since the H4X came out...
and there are indeed a few non-functional bodies out there as well, I get your question now...  :)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 11:51:27 am »

Changing the mount of a Phase One back used to be $3K.  That was around 2 years ago. 
Not sure whether the price has changed in the meanwhile.
And Phase One doesn't really change the mount, you get a different back...

I have never heard about Hasselblad testing whether the H1 is still operational...
I also have no idea what they do with the H1 bodies...
Please take into account though that you only trade in the body, not the viewfinder, battery grip, etc.
A used H1 body tends to cost around $1K, the entire H1 system around $2-2.5K, sometimes less.

Yes, I believe this is till the price, I asked a few months ago about that out of curiosity to my dealer (PhaseOne not drug).
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »

Hi Mark,

The H-system trade-in does not have to be functional for any of the Hasselblad trade-in programs (H4x and H4D.)

Keep in mind that you do want to keep the lenses (or purchase new/used) as the trade-in programs do not include a lens. We have a regular supply of used lenses and the For Sale forum on LL and hasselbladdigitalforum have a regular supply as well.

Overall it is a healthy ecosystem for anyone looking to add to their Hasselblad collection with active buyers and sellers.

Incidentally, here in the US, the H4x carries a hefty trade-in value towards the H4D family; so a photographer could plan equipment strategy of trading in an older H1/H2 for a new H4x body today, shoot with favorite digital back for a year, then trade-in for the then-current version of the H-system family later.

We have found the H4x to be the bridge for photographers who prefer the H-system lenses (fast autofocus, large selection) and may be over 30,000 - 50,000+ actuations and want to extend the investment in their current digital magazine. And it works out great for hedging against the technology curve over the next year as (nearly) the full expense is carried into a trade-in if desired.

It is hard to discover a catch on this one...

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:57:32 am »

Hi Mark,

The H-system trade-in does not have to be functional for any of the Hasselblad trade-in programs (H4x and H4D.)

John

Just wondering, if I purchased an H3DII-39 from the LuLa forum (private sale) does this still qualify for the upgrade program to an H4D-50? I read on the Hasselblad Global website that any H-camera must be purchased from the same country of origin to qualify for the 'Customer Care Program', warranty service, upgrades etc.

So if I buy the camera from overseas does this revoke any future H4D upgrade option with my local dealer :o

Cheers  :-\
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:09:10 am by KAHA »

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:00:00 am »

Hi Kaha,

[...]purchased an H3DII-39 from the LuLa forum (private sale) does this still qualify for the upgrade program to an H4D-50?

Yes. Upgrade/Trade-in program is for the Hasselblad owner; possess the equipment = you are eligible.

[...]purchased from the same country of origin to qualify for the 'Customer Care Program', warranty service, upgrades etc?

Customer Care and Warranty are country-specific; the delay in customs is significant and in some countries - prone to loss or high tariff. You are supporting your regional area when using the service center (meaning - with your support, the service center exists), and Hasselblad makes that part of the service warranty - buy in the US = service in the US. The alternative is waiting longer periods for any service work; not a popular option as you can imagine.

The new camera (as a result of your trade-in or upgrade) is under the same rule as selling a new camera and therefore local dealers sell it locally, not globally. Following this, one could buy a used camera anywhere (please be a smart buyer...scams are abound) and then locally upgrade/trade-in. If it is to good to be true, it probably is - caveat emptor!

So if I buy the camera from overseas does this revoke any future H4D upgrade option with my local dealer?

No. A provocative question: does your local dealer provide value in the form of camera advice, or shooting technique - perhaps workflow ideas - that have helped you in your craft? Enabled you to perform your photographic role more competitively in a creative way or business function? If there is value, you support that value source by investing with your local dealer. Knowledge has a cost.

Of course, if there is no value, then the argument is invalid.

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:45 am »

Thanks John, appreciate the reply!

Cheers  ;)

DeeJay

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:32 am »

So ridiculous you even need an older, even if unfunctioning body in the first place to be "eligible" for an upgrade. Why financially penalise or exclude new customers?

Yet another one of Hasselblads ridiculous moves. I'm sure the company HQ could be a set for the upcoming planet of the apes film.

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:42:14 am »

It's a shame as Rainer's H3DII kit was flirting with me LOL  ;)

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:17:37 am »

So ridiculous you even need an older, even if unfunctioning body in the first place to be "eligible" for an upgrade. Why financially penalise or exclude new customers?
Yet another one of Hasselblads ridiculous moves. I'm sure the company HQ could be a set for the upcoming planet of the apes film.

It's along the same lines as car dealers offering a "push, pull, or drag your old car in" trade. Their ads read - "We'll give you a thousand dollars trade on any car you can bring in." If you don't have a car to trade, there's always the possibility of buying a hundred dollar clunker to use as a trade-in. You would still come out ahead.

Same with the Hasselblad deal.
If you are ready to buy into the H4 system, it might behoove you to locate & purchase a beat-up MF body and nonworking DB to use as a trade-in. If I'm not mistaken, the trade-in deal runs for a few more months, so you've got time. In my opinion, it's certainly worth the effort, as you will ultimately save bigtime.

FWIW - I took advantage of the H4D trade just 2-3 weeks ago, from Hasselblad USA in NJ. Traded in a nonworking CFV16 DB, plus my 501CM and waistlevel finder. They sent me a new H4D-50. What I sent in for trade was worth far less than the more than several thousand US dollars I saved over buying this camera outright without a trade.

DeeJay

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 06:44:42 am »

So why can't they just drop the requirement altogether? I don't care for analogy's from other industries. This in an industry where people, small business have spent decades building up systems only for the manufacturers to go and make things difficult for us. It's like having a dodgy friend and there's no telling what they will do next.

Personally I will hold onto my 555 outfit which is a beautiful design and durability, and I have been building up for 20 years. I can't for the life of me understand why they dropped this design for the new one. It works wonderfully well with a P45 and OK with the P65, my H2 which is ageing terribly and is a headache at times to use and I will wait to see what other manufacturers offer in the coming out with. I wish the Rollei was Phase Mount and I wish there was a definite future support for it. Instead I just invested into a Leica M9 system that has replaced some of my use with the MFDB's and the move has been a revelation.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:46:58 am by DeeJay »
Pages: [1]   Go Up