Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wast Water...Last Light  (Read 2869 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Wast Water...Last Light
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:34:05 am »

The setting sun cast a shaft of light which illuminates the tiny farm house which provides scale, the mist rolls in from the Irish sea.

Wast Water...Last Light by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Wast Water...Last Light
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:48:56 am »

I wonder if you could make more of it. I'm just not sure about the blotchiness on the lake (is that just the mist), and have you lifted the shadows a bit much? Perhaps it needs the digital equivalent of a neutral grad coming down from the top left. But definitely the right place at the right time. It's worth a bit more work.

philipkenney

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:04:02 am »

I really like this shot. Great moment and love the warmth! You can tell its Ireland for sure. I agree with John's comments as well. The shadows are lifted a tad too much and the lake is a little hard to figure out what's going on (if the original capture has that then by all means leave it!). The great thing about this image though is that you have a great moment captured!

shaunw

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 10:16:09 am »

John

The ''blotchiness'' in the lake is a natural phenomenon caused by the breeze that was blowing, in areas of the lake where the water was moving (less reflective) it is rendered dark where it was still (highly reflective) light.

Have the darks been lifted too much? (subjective one?)...not for me (but yer poss for some tastes?) this one is for print hence i didn't want any shadows blocked the shadows have been lifted only slightly.

Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams

shaunw

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:18:10 am »

Phil

This is Wast water in the English lake district which looks onto the Irish sea

thanks Shaun

philipkenney

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:27:03 am »

Got ya. Beautiful regardless of where it is!

The shadows lifted are certainly a taste thing. Almost every critique on this image will be subjective because you've obviously nailed the fundamentals. Should of asked what the final output was going to be!

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:17 am »

Lots of really good stuff here. I like the lake's surface.
Scott

feethea

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:03:22 am »

:)Simply superb Shaun - well captured!

Barry

Dewi Sant

• Dewi Sant Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:53:14 am »

I love the shot, seen that view many times on my walks in the Lakes, I was there about 6 months ago but just walking the valley along Wasdale. The view from higher up Great Gable is stunning, must do that again one day.

The composition is nice but I find it a bit overdone in PP to be honest, it seems to lack some definition and the lightness around the lake edge doesn't look right to me.

Dewi 

John R

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 10:34:11 am »

I'm not sure what people are claiming to see, looks great to me. It reminds me that when I post an image where people claim it is overdone, underdone, etc, I ususally show the original and it is pretty much identical to the PP version. Less is more. Digital can be as much a curse as a blessing.

JMR

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 01:16:13 pm »

Hi Shaun
Lovely image. Great composition and I love the way you captured the isolated sunlit area. I'm afraid I also think the water looks quite strange. The halo type effect around the edge of the lake really stands out and as a result the reflection of the dark cloud looks too dark. I would agree with John that the shadows lack a bit of contrast (whether it be for print or not I would say)

These are all post production things and as you are the one who sees the print you can make the best judgment.

Well done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up