Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Training Videos  (Read 23881 times)

gnomore

Looking for Training Videos
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:31:44 am »

I am interested in learning the mechanics of using a digital camera. I was hoping to find an online video course or dvd that would show me. My wife has a nikon D300. What I am looking for is the specifics of if I see something I want to shoot, how to get that in the camera at the best way possible. I have been watching camera to print & screen which gives some very good information, but I still don't know what half the stuff they are talking about is. I don't understand histograms, exposure, iso, fstops, etc.

So basically I am looking for a resource that explains what all that stuff is, and most importantly how to use my cameras meter to determine which settings to put on. I want to take the camera out of auto. I want to know how to determine which ISO to use etc. I want to know when to use a flash, and how to set up lighting. How to use a separate light meter.

What I dont want the videos to focus on are the non technical side like what emotion were you trying to convey etc. I would like to focus on that stuff after I understand the technical aspects of using the camera, lighting, metering, exposure, expose to the right, histograms, how to tell if highlights are getting blown out, or the darks are getting clipped, lenses .... all stuff I heard on that camera to print & screen but did not know how they were determining that.

The D300 user manual is not much help, just shows how to change settings, not what they are. Any reccomendations on online video courses? Or possibly a book that would help?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:34:31 am by gnomore »

kingscurate

Re: Looking for Training Videos
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:32:33 am »

Scott kelby books are a good starting point,  I think he did a series of"introduction to digital photography".
I aint a pro

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:19:08 pm »

For beginners with Nikons, I send them over to Nikon's Digitutorial site: http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

ewanqbl

• www.appledistrict.com
    • Apple District
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:36:22 am »

Could you please post some other resources?

Not necessarily only for Nikon. I'm interested in a more general guide which explains in detail information regarding cameras, lenses etc.
My side project www.appledistrict.com

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:24:11 pm »

Take a look at lynda.com

Don

rambler44

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:11:22 pm »

Online classes will get you out using your camera with a weekly assignment.  You submit a few images which will be critiqued by the instructor as well as others in the class.  This is a hands on way to learn to suit all levels of photographers.

betterphotos.com

http://www.ppsop.com

For online videos that you can watch at your own pace, you purchase an annual subscription here:

http://kelbytraining.com/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:17:35 pm by rambler44 »

aduke

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:34:11 pm »

The Mindful Eye School of photography has a foundation series of videos http://www.tmelive.com/index.php/articles/17.html. Its been a while since I watched them and I don't remember quite how basic, but Craig Tanner has a lot of material on composition, camera techniques and the use of lenses and Photoshop work.

Alan

Andrew1

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:43:48 am »

The 2 DVD set I've used is from JumpStart

http://jumpstartguides.com/productsinfo.html

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:18:05 pm »

I am interested in learning the mechanics of using a digital camera. I was hoping to find an online video course or dvd that would show me. My wife has a nikon D300. What I am looking for is the specifics of if I see something I want to shoot, how to get that in the camera at the best way possible. I have been watching camera to print & screen which gives some very good information, but I still don't know what half the stuff they are talking about is. I don't understand histograms, exposure, iso, fstops, etc.

So basically I am looking for a resource that explains what all that stuff is, and most importantly how to use my cameras meter to determine which settings to put on. I want to take the camera out of auto. I want to know how to determine which ISO to use etc. I want to know when to use a flash, and how to set up lighting. How to use a separate light meter.

What I dont want the videos to focus on are the non technical side like what emotion were you trying to convey etc. I would like to focus on that stuff after I understand the technical aspects of using the camera, lighting, metering, exposure, expose to the right, histograms, how to tell if highlights are getting blown out, or the darks are getting clipped, lenses .... all stuff I heard on that camera to print & screen but did not know how they were determining that.

The D300 user manual is not much help, just shows how to change settings, not what they are. Any reccomendations on online video courses? Or possibly a book that would help?
See my post about camera clubs.

Kevin.
Kevin.

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:27:27 am »

Lynda.com is one of my favorites. A quick search reveals that they have twenty eight courses on how to use cameras in different situations - from foundations on up.

http://www.lynda.com/Photography-training-tutorials/70-0.html

dawgzang

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 04:32:37 am »

The cheapest way is to go to YouTube.com and search on each of the items you listed. You will get free videos that show you what you are looking for. I use these all the time for photography and computer questions I have. I also sign up for groups in Meetup.com. This can put you in contact with local people who can help you.

Just a thought.

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 06:13:09 am »

Several options listed so far are potentially very useful.
Nonetheless, the personal touch here is probably the easiest and quickest way to learn these things.

My suggestion is to find a friend or relative who knows digital cameras to guide one.
Alternatively, a camera club is also a fair option.

Depending on time and resoruces a short workshop aimed at individuals of your level can slingshot one's abilities and knowledge very rapidly.

Regards

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up