Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best focal length T/S lens to use with a Canon 5D MKII and a Canon 5D?  (Read 2656 times)

lcastric@gmail.com

What is the best focal length T/S lens to use with two full frame cameras,
the Canon 5D MKII and a Canon 5D converted to infrared
for a photo project involving the bridges and buildings of NYC?

I've read the excellent thread below which is very helpful.

Most my final images are multiple frame pans. Right now I'm wrestling between the Canon 45mm or
the 90mm. I already have the 1.4 TC.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Best focal length T/S lens to use with a Canon 5D MKII and a Canon 5D?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:23:55 am »

The 90 TSE is the best of the bunch.. though that 17mm is really good too.  Any reason you're ignoring focal length in your decision?
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

lcastric@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:40:12 am »

Thanks Steve.

No good reason, except that I'm so used to taking multiple frames for an image, to goose up the res and size for lg format printing, that a wide angle hasn't seemed desirable.
Perhaps with the 5DMKII, which I just got to replace my color 5D, there's enough pixels for more one frame wide-angle shots.

I suppose also that I'm thinking that with a 90mm I can get closer with more detail and less distortion using the multiple row technique. Does this all make any sense?
Thanks again.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:13:18 am »

Thanks Steve.

No good reason, except that I'm so used to taking multiple frames for an image, to goose up the res and size for lg format printing, that a wide angle hasn't seemed desirable.
Perhaps with the 5DMKII, which I just got to replace my color 5D, there's enough pixels for more one frame wide-angle shots.

I suppose also that I'm thinking that with a 90mm I can get closer with more detail and less distortion using the multiple row technique. Does this all make any sense?
Thanks again.

Yes it does.  The 90mm is the lens you want.  It's significantly better than the 45mm.  Actually, it's a very sharp lens with excellent optical qualities and almost zero distortion.  It should be perfect for stitching.  Even the bokeh is good.  If you get a good 90tse you'll never let it go.  It's one of the top 5 Canon lenses imo.. and by that I mean where a lens performs better in it's class than you'd expect for that type of lens.  MF is a breeze.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:29:12 am »

Another possibility with tilt-shift is to put the camera on a fixed tripod and use the shift axis to create a left-right or top-bottom pano pair for stitching.  You will get a classic wide angle perspective.

Not sure that a TS 90mm would pay off that well for architectural pano work, compared to just correcting the geometry of a normal lens in PS or the stitching software.  That's why you don't see TS lenses much longer than that.

PS I don't think the TC can be used with a tilted or shifted lens.

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:34:57 am »

90 mm TS is a very good lens.

Keep in mind though that with this lens tilting and shifting are not altogether independent of one another as with the 17mm and 24mm TS lenses.
If tiliting in the vertical then the lens will only allow shifting horizontally.
One can change this to allow tilt and shift in the same plane by unscrewing four small screws on the rear facing of the lens and then rotating one section 90 degrees and then re-assembling the lens. This can also be done by a technician if one is not confident.

In my opinion this arrangement is much more practical.

My $0.02

Regards

Tony Jay

Mary K

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 08:11:27 am »

PS I don't think the TC can be used with a tilted or shifted lens.

Canon teleconverters work fine with Canon T/S lenses - I regularly use the 1.4x with the 24mm and 90mm, and have also used the 2.0x from time to time.
Mary Konchar

MrSmith

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:06:25 pm »

the 45mm isn't in the same class as the 24(II) or the 90 that's why i'm selling mine and getting a 1.4x as the 33mm focal length with the 24 is more useful to me and the image quality is better.
the 90 is fantastic, i have to change the sharpening settings for this lens as my standard output sharpening is too much.

bill t.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 02:44:51 pm »

Maybe I just got a good one, but I personally think the 45 TS-E is right up there with my best lenses in the sharpness department.  Was there a design change or something?  It certainly is a useful focal length for stitching.

MrSmith

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 02:47:40 pm »

mine has C/A and is not as sharp as the 24II and 90. the online lens tests give similar results.

bill t.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 03:18:17 pm »

I can take out the CA with about 4 or 5 units in LR, which is not much worse than the standard 50.  CA seems to be symmetrical even when the lens is tilted by 2 or 3 marks.  I only shoot f8 or f11.  But I can see in the liveview that it wouldn't be terrific at f2.8.

lcastric@gmail.com

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 03:28:41 pm »

Thanks so much for the feedback. Looks like I'll have to go with one, probably the 90mm, and see what it can do.
Linc
Pages: [1]   Go Up