Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firewire for a laptop?  (Read 4421 times)

revaaron

Firewire for a laptop?
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:43:02 pm »

I'm looking to replace my desktop with a high-end laptop so I can take it mobile when I go to other towns to shoot.  I did the whole "bring desktop + all cables + 24" monitor" thing more than once and I'm not doing that again.  Anyhow, none of the laptops have firewire anymore let along the D shaped one that my Nikon Cool scan takes.  Anyone know of an adapter out there?

regfran

Re: Firewire for a laptop?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:01:31 pm »

lots of laptops have the smaller connector. It 's 4 pin. the bigger one on the older digicams is a 6 pin.  I've bought from these guys and they are great and you can get long cables.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/fcable44.html

regfran

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:09:11 pm »

I'm looking to replace my desktop with a high-end laptop so I can take it mobile when I go to other towns to shoot.  I did the whole "bring desktop + all cables + 24" monitor" thing more than once and I'm not doing that again.  Anyhow, none of the laptops have firewire anymore let along the D shaped one that my Nikon Cool scan takes.  Anyone know of an adapter out there?

My 17" Unibody MacBook's have firewire....
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Walter Schulz

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:21:23 pm »

As written above: There are laptops around with 4-pin FW. If you want to have a 6-pin connector you have to use something like "Sonnet FireWire 800 Pro ExpressCard/34" if your laptop has an ExpressCard connector. There are other manufacturers for such items. Google for "Firewire Expresscard".

Ciao, Walter

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:15:40 am »

If you replace your high end PC with a Mac, I would rather go with a 4 to 6 pin firewire cable (I get mine from the same place regfran suggests) than a firewire expresscard adapter for a couple of reasons;

- Firewire is on it's way out and driver support will surely follow for 3rd party cards (expresscards)
- I've found the expresscards to be expensive and the locking mechanism to be flimsy

Simplify your future troubleshooting, just get a couple cables.

-N

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:42:04 pm »

My 17" Unibody MacBook's have firewire....
...and he can keep his PC by splitting a part of the HD if he wishes! Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

But this post should move to Computers & Peripherals! What is it doing here? Somebody should mail to Mike.

revaaron

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:14 pm »

No way am I going MAC cause all my software (a lot of which I wrote myself) is on windows and I hate OSX UI. And if I was going to run windows, why would I spend twice as much for a slower machine? $2.4K for a I7-2760QM mac book pro when I can get the same processor or better in a Dell for $1.4K before I find any coupons. Plus, I'm waiting for the ivy bridge processors to be in laptops before I jump. How long before the macbooks get a i7-39xxQM?

I did just notice that my 8-month old work laptop has a 1394 4-pin port that I never saw.  I hope one of those cable converter so that the old firewire works. I guess I can try it out on my work laptop.

MrSmith

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:27:46 pm »

aren't most pc laptops firewire ports not powered unlike Macs? i know some people need the power for their digital backs and mobile hardrives.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »

Take a look at Dell Precision mobile workstation.  I've been using a M6400 for several years.

Don

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 04:20:40 am »

A couple of the high end thinkpads has firewire.

Otherwise a siig firewire card would be your best option. Its a pc express 54 mm card.

My T420 has a firewire 4 pin. And uses a core i7 (4 cores) and i've put 16gb of ram and a 256gb ssd in it and it's blazing fast.

With the extra slice battery i get about 17hrs of computing.

https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=LET420I7&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Says discontinued but its only at bh. Make sure your Thinkpad has firewire as some lacks it.

Good luck!

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:34 pm »

I use a Lenovo W500 that has a four wire firewire port. I use the W model for its display characteristics but there may be other Lenovo models with firewire.
Jack Varney

mediumcool

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 02:26:58 am »

No way am I going MAC cause all my software (a lot of which I wrote myself) is on windows and I hate OSX UI. And if I was going to run windows, why would I spend twice as much for a slower machine? $2.4K for a I7-2760QM mac book pro when I can get the same processor or better in a Dell for $1.4K before I find any coupons. Plus, I'm waiting for the ivy bridge processors to be in laptops before I jump. How long before the macbooks get a i7-39xxQM?

I did just notice that my 8-month old work laptop has a 1394 4-pin port that I never saw.  I hope one of those cable converter so that the old firewire works. I guess I can try it out on my work laptop.

Correction: MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control. Perhaps you meant to say Macintosh?

Good to see you found a FireWire port!  ;D
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Kerry L

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 08:49:51 am »

aren't most pc laptops firewire ports not powered unlike Macs? i know some people need the power for their digital backs and mobile hardrives.

Yes, this has been my experience. The small 4 pin is designed to connect to equipment like digi-cams that are self-powered. A straight 4 - 6 pin adapter didn't work for me in trying to use a CF card reader on a Sony PC.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

revaaron

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »

Correction: MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control. Perhaps you meant to say Macintosh?

Good to see you found a FireWire port!  ;D
funny comment since in my 9-5, I write automation for switches and I deal mostly with L2.

I just reflashed my work laptop. I'm going to try to connect it to my Cool Scan 9000 and see if that works. I just need to buy one of those converter cables.
Pages: [1]   Go Up