Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choice - CFV-39/50 DB or H4D-40 body??  (Read 4671 times)

Michael H. Cothran

Choice - CFV-39/50 DB or H4D-40 body??
« on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:28 pm »

For about the same price I can purchase a CFV-39/50 DB to use with my existing V system, or purchase a new H4D-40 body, but continue to use my V lenses with an adaptor. I shoot tripod-mounted landscapes, and sell at juried art & craft shows. My photo income is in the black, but would rate as "part-time" income at best. I do have SSA plus still work full time, so I am financially "comfortable." I have in the range of $20,000 I can spend.

Considering that I would have to use my existing V lenses with the H4D-40, thus nullifying most, if not all the electronic wizardry built into the H4D, is there much advantage to the H4D over a CFV DB?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. A third alternative??
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:04:26 pm by MichaelHCothran »

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Re: Choice - CFV-39/50 DB or H4D-40 body??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 03:50:27 pm »

Michael

As you shoot static subjects from a tripod, you would in my opinion gain very little from simply having the the H body without the benefits of the H lens system as well. In fact, if you already have a comprehensive V-System kit then you will also have the range of viewfinders and other accesories that you would have to re-purchase for the H (or are simply not available for that system, like a 45 deg prism). You will find, I would suggest, that the CFV-39 or 50 will integrate perfectly with your V-System and give you all the IQ you could possibly need matched to your existing Zeiss glass.

But then I would say that, wouldn't I?  ;)

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

JV

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:02:18 pm »

Michael,

The reasons why you would upgrade are auto focus, a built-in meter and TrueFocus.

At first sight it looks like you don't really need those.  If that is indeed the case I would stick with the V system.

Best, Joris.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:03:31 pm »

In the beginning you will not have much advantage.

But slowly you will sell your V lenses and buy a great 100mm portrait lens or a fantastic 28mm wide angle and have the "full monty".

When you eventually would sell it (in a couple of years), the H4D40 will be worth more than the CFV.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »

In the beginning you will not have much advantage.

But slowly you will sell your V lenses and buy a great 100mm portrait lens or a fantastic 28mm wide angle and have the "full monty".

When you eventually would sell it (in a couple of years), the H4D40 will be worth more than the CFV.

I don't know about that, Hasselblad H digital's seem to loose their resale value rather fast, unless you plan to use a PhaseOne / Leaf trade in program to actually get money out of the thing....in my experience at least..
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »

I don't know about that, Hasselblad H digital's seem to loose their resale value rather fast, unless you plan to use a PhaseOne / Leaf trade in program to actually get money out of the thing....in my experience at least..
Hassy H does look to loose a bit more value than the rest, I think its because of their "closed system" policy, people think of it as a DSLR because of that. In my view AF performance on MF shouldn't be treated as a priority, MF was always about creativity and AF goes along with "lazy photography". I like my Contax approach to AF, it's designed with it as a supplement of MF at a touch of a thumb button. Not that I would miss it much if it didn't exist at all. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 06:01:00 pm »

Hi Michael,

I think you will find strong arguments for each case:

H4D-40 - As you have mentioned will use the CF Lens Adaptor to accomodate your existing CF Zeiss lenses and provide lens data in the image (for more information on this specific process, have a read here under "Creating and using a 'My lenses' setting". Additionally, the H4 body will provide focus confirmation when manually focusing the lenses using the same contrast levels as the autofocus lenses to aid in accurate focusing. That is a real help for these eyes...also, slightly higher ISO performance over the equivalent CFV ISO range.

CFV-digital back - Has the advantage of immediate deployment on your existing "V" system (Which one(s), btw?) and will fit on a variety of sliding back adaptors for alternate usage. Price has about a 25% advantage compared to the H4D.

IMHO, the H4D-40 is geared more toward the future without significant investment as a great deal of superior (to the V-system) technology is already in place; autofocus lenses, intelligent operation for optical corrections, focal plane lock, built-in metering, and automatic operation such as interval photography and connectivity to the computer for direct control from the keyboard.

I have a dissenting argument against the loss of value statements and can cover that specifically with several use cases that are from a dozen resale transactions over the past 6 months.  In fact, this probably is the strongest statement to argue for the H4D-40 simply because the potential buyer audience is greater than a buyer who may only need a digital back for V-system; the H4D as a complete system will appeal to many more photographic applications.

An online trade-in calculator is here for Hasselblad USA clients (not in global values - my regrets!)

Good job on performing your due diligence, please consider us as a resource for your research.

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 06:06:17 pm »

Hi Michael,

I think you will find strong arguments for each case:

H4D-40 - As you have mentioned will use the CF Lens Adaptor to accomodate your existing CF Zeiss lenses and provide lens data in the image (for more information on this specific process, have a read here under "Creating and using a 'My lenses' setting". Additionally, the H4 body will provide focus confirmation when manually focusing the lenses using the same contrast levels as the autofocus lenses to aid in accurate focusing. That is a real help for these eyes...also, slightly higher ISO performance over the equivalent CFV ISO range.

CFV-digital back - Has the advantage of immediate deployment on your existing "V" system (Which one(s), btw?) and will fit on a variety of sliding back adaptors for alternate usage. Price has about a 25% advantage compared to the H4D.

IMHO, the H4D-40 is geared more toward the future without significant investment as a great deal of superior (to the V-system) technology is already in place; autofocus lenses, intelligent operation for optical corrections, focal plane lock, built-in metering, and automatic operation such as interval photography and connectivity to the computer for direct control from the keyboard.

I have a dissenting argument against the loss of value statements and can cover that specifically with several use cases that are from a dozen resale transactions over the past 6 months.  In fact, this probably is the strongest statement to argue for the H4D-40 simply because the potential buyer audience is greater than a buyer who may only need a digital back for V-system; the H4D as a complete system will appeal to many more photographic applications.

An online trade-in calculator is here for Hasselblad USA clients (not in global values - my regrets!)

Good job on performing your due diligence, please consider us as a resource for your research.

John

So your company is going to give people more money to say in the Hasselblad System and buy another camera from you.....thats not exactly the best way to measure re-sale value because thats just trade-in value, which as we have said is higher then if you were to sell it on the open market....and speaking personally I would buy the a used CFV50 for way more then I would a H4D-40, IMHO
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 06:24:28 pm »

Hi Brian,

Actually, you are not limited to the trade-in program - that is one of the ways to extend the value of your initial investment (whether Hasselblad, PhaseOne, Leaf) and the other is the free-market - as you have suggested - find a buyer and sell your equipment at at negotiated price; think of eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, your peer network...in one case, it is a matter of convenience (act now with the trade-in program), and the other (selling on your own) - patience. Neither is exclusive of the other.

I have to admit, I do wake up as a business owner and seek to trade my value for income each day, perhaps like many readers on the board :) So yes, I am actively working to trade my efforts, knowledge, and skills in exchange for our client's hard-earned money. It's their resource and we want to earn it more than our competitors, so we have to work smarter and harder to earn it.

I have not found that a trade-in program is the answer to having clients return to buy another camera from us, but consistently performing above-and-beyond service seems to be the best practice.

PS, I do have a CFV-50 in stock if you are interested :)

Stay Creative!

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 07:12:01 pm »

Hi Brian,

Actually, you are not limited to the trade-in program - that is one of the ways to extend the value of your initial investment (whether Hasselblad, PhaseOne, Leaf) and the other is the free-market - as you have suggested - find a buyer and sell your equipment at at negotiated price; think of eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, your peer network...in one case, it is a matter of convenience (act now with the trade-in program), and the other (selling on your own) - patience. Neither is exclusive of the other.

I have to admit, I do wake up as a business owner and seek to trade my value for income each day, perhaps like many readers on the board :) So yes, I am actively working to trade my efforts, knowledge, and skills in exchange for our client's hard-earned money. It's their resource and we want to earn it more than our competitors, so we have to work smarter and harder to earn it.

I have not found that a trade-in program is the answer to having clients return to buy another camera from us, but consistently performing above-and-beyond service seems to be the best practice.

PS, I do have a CFV-50 in stock if you are interested :)

Stay Creative!

John
Hi John, could you please inform me if the H4X body will be able to take the back of the H4D-200MS? By the way I feel that it was a great move to introduce that option, but I have to say that IMO Hass has to open the system further. The reintroduction of the CF backs (including 50ms & 200ms) and adapters and the offer of the H4X to all customers (not only as an upgrade), I feel that will be very beneficial for Hasselblad. I am personally using a 528c on a huge Contax 645 system (3 bodys, all lenses but the 350 and another 4 via adapters not to mention film backs, viewfinders, screens, ext.rings etc.), it's not easy for somebody in my position to invest in a closed system, I should be allowed to replace my back only with another multishot one and/or start with a new body and build a new system in multiple steps so that I can keep its functionality and be able to afford it! It's really simple logic isn't it? I've many times felt that Hass is obstructing customers from approaching it! The H4X was a good move but it's not enough. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm still undecided.

FWIW - I own a very mintish, and what I consider, very comprehensive V system - 501CM body with PME51 meter prism, plus the CFV "chimney stack" viewfinder, the original CFV (16 mpix) DB, Zeiss CF 40, 60, 100, 180, and 250 lenses, plus a few miscellaneous items, including two current style A-12 film backs. February, 2012 will mark the 40th anniversary of my relationship with Hasselblad. Seems like a fitting time to make a lasting financial move!! The CFV 39/50 DB would certainly be the cherry on top of a considerable amount of V equipment over the years. However, I have issues with using a "645" type back on a "square" camera. It just doesn't seem right to turn a V body sideways to shoot vertical, and downright difficult with a 45 degree viewfinder. It just ain't natural. Plus, I recently had to have the 250 lens serviced by David Odess for a broken aperture spring. This made me consider that all my V equipment may be coming of age where it will no longer be reliable, and parts may be harder to find. So these things weigh heavy on my mind when considering a major investment, like a CFV 39/50 DB, in an older, out-of-date system.

But I can certainly see where the H4D-40 without a modern lens might not be the better investment either. If I could afford one lens with the H4D-40 (specifically the 35-90 zoom), I would go the "H" route. It would be nice in the field to travel with one body and one lens. And while this camera/lens combo is no featherweight, it has to weigh less than what I'm currently carrying on my back. Perhaps I'll win the lottery...

Again, thanks to all who replied. Your opinions are appreciated, and all worth considering.

Pages: [1]   Go Up