Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Pen Types Effective on Baryta Papers?  (Read 2529 times)

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
Best Pen Types Effective on Baryta Papers?
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:50:04 pm »

Suggestions from anyone with experience of signing/writing on Baryta type papers would be appreciated. Ideally those featuring a range of (say) five or six colours as well as black. Printing ink is Epson K3. Thanks in anticipation.

howardm

Re: Best Pen Types Effective on Baryta Papers?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:58:21 pm »

I personally like the Sakura Glaze pens.

GEOFFREYJAMES

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:58:59 pm »

I am not being facetious,  but I always sign on the back with a pencil.  I have always found signing on the front a bit tacky, even though Edward Weston and others did it -- but that was long ago.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:11:16 pm »

Some of the "jelly roll" style metallic pens sign canvas pretty nicely, but not so sure about on baryta.  I use Pental "Sunburst" silver roller pens.  Goes down very nicely on textured surfaces, would probably adhere to most media surfaces except RC.  My roughly one year old window test canvas signature still looks good, with no running or noticeable fading.  The manufacturer claims they are "archival" without explaining any further.  Micron pens are also nice, but more limited because they only come in black or colors that are rather dark.

It may be tacky to sign on the print, but people who are out to buy "art" expect a visibly signed print.  It's part of the paradigm.  And I think there's a meme somewhere to the effect that unsigned prints are not really art.  And your customers may have heard that a relatively rare signed Ansel Adams print is worth a few ten-thousand dollars more than an unsigned one.  :)

Robcat

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »

I've tested a number of art pens and I think the Uni-Ball Gel Impact 1.0 mm is perfect for my needs (Harman and Ilford GF Silk). I use a silver one for B&W and gold for color. It looks like liquid metal and, unlike other pens, somehow makes my signature come out smooth and elegant  ;D.
http://www.dickblick.com has them
Rob P

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:49:39 am »

Uni Pin Fine Line (pigment ink) 0.2 or 0.1 works perfectly for me on Baryta-like and RC papers. On matte paper I prefer to use pencil.

Best regards.

Kerry L

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:30:13 am »

I use Pigma Brush drawing pens Sakura Color Products. There are 6-8 colours. Advertised as being "Archival quality ink – chemically stable, waterproof, and fade resistant" I've been using them for about a year so I can't say how true this is.

They've worked, without smearing, on Canson Baryta Photographique and Platine Rag. On matt papers I've continued to use a pencil. The pens are about CDN$4.00 ea.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 04:45:04 am »

Many thanks to all responders. Particularly those fans of Uni and Sakura. Have ordered samples from both to try out. Cordially, dk
Pages: [1]   Go Up