Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Wild Horse Canyon  (Read 2190 times)

Marco

Little Wild Horse Canyon
« on: September 24, 2004, 02:58:38 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Alan, I've been to Little Wild Horse Canyon a couple of time and always in summer, but don't expect to take there that kind of shots that you usually take in Antelope Canyon...the canyon, while in some passages it's much more narrow and dark than Antelope, is too "open" above, there's too much direct light entering and you don't usually have that "reflecting light" effect you were talking about...anyway there are some nice and very photographic polished stones on the canyon walls and it's a great hike too, especially if you combine it with the Bell Canyon loop (8 miles)...

Marco[/font]

gtal

• http://www.scenicwild.com
Little Wild Horse Canyon
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 12:53:51 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Marco is right that Little Wild Horse is not as deep and "slotted" as other slot canyons you may have seen images of (Antelope etc.) but you still can get some nice glowing images if you opt for longer focal lengths, making sure not to extend your frame too high that you get the sky in. The low angle of the sun should work in your favor in that the window of opportunity (with no direct overhead light) will be extended.
One minor correction to Howard's post - Mesa Arch is in the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park (not Arches).

Guy[/font]
Scenic Wild Photography
http://www.sc

alan

Little Wild Horse Canyon
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 08:35:56 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'm considering doing some shooting in Little Wild Horse Canyon as part of an Arches, Canyonlands, Goblin and possibly MV trip in mid-November. I never shot in a slot canyon. I am wondering whether or not there would be any direct sunlight in the slot at that time of the year where the sun is lower in the sky? Looking for reflected light onto the opposite wall.[/font]

howard smith

Little Wild Horse Canyon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 11:53:32 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']If you are looking for that "hot rock" look, try Meas Arch in Arches NP at sunrise.  It is an easy walk from the parking lot, even in the predawn dark.  The arch stands away from a cliff below, causing the morning sun do reflect up under the arch.  I was there last month and had the sunrise to myself, even though it seems to be weel photographed.  You might want to check it out during daylight to knowwhere to set up in the dark.[/font]

howard smith

Little Wild Horse Canyon
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 01:37:37 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']gtal, you are indeed correct.  They are not too far apart.  I was wondering around alot in August and sometimes my mind wandered in another direction.  Maybe that is why so few folks were there - everyone had been told it was in Arches.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up