Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If there is a desire to clean HP 70 heads  (Read 2458 times)

Ernst Dinkla

If there is a desire to clean HP 70 heads
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:32:18 am »

Much of the damper + head functions of other printers is combined in one piece in the user replaceable HP 70 heads that are on the Z2100, Z3100, Z3200, Z5200, B9180, B8850.

Thermal heads are less affected when air gets in, the "steam" pumping can get rid of additional air. Thermal heads like HP's Z types also contain more of the damper function (sieves) so when exchanged you get a fresh damper too. Interesting if compared to the hassle of replacing a damper set in an Epson x900 model. If there is still a desire to clean a $ 65 two channel head the following PDF shows how:

www.hefgermedia.ca/files/Cleaning_HP70_printhead.pdf

Exchanging an entire head set in a Z3200 model is $ 390 and in a Z2100 $ 260. It can be done per head though and there is no need to do it per year, in many cases you will still see an OK for its condition after 5 years in use. The warranty is long expired then but it prints OK and the firmware says it is OK.

Edit: I do not think I will go that route of cleaning when the printer says the head is no longer OK. Depends on the ML inks used though, if it is low then the nozzles should still be fine and it might be a good decision. Too high and there will be wear on the nozzles not worth cleaning that head, there were numbers given for what the head could withstand, I have to look that up.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:55:47 am by Ernst Dinkla »

chichornio

Re: If there is a desire to clean HP 70 heads
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:41:38 pm »

Good tip Ernst! Thanks for sharing. Remember the issue that I had yesterday with the magenta-yellow printhead ("cannot print in Canson Rag Photographique" topic)? Could this procedure clean the printhead and be usable again?

namartinnz

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:31:52 pm »

Thanks Ernst for the information. After changing my Z3100 carriage belt and star wheel lifter motor this should be relatively straight forward to do.

Neal.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 06:06:35 am »

Did I reply on that message? I recall reading it. It can be ink running from the other channel into the yellow by an external path and that usually indicates a problem on the capping station with too little waste ink pumped away or an overfilled magenta cart and/or a near empty yellow cart. You get the picture, one ink channel fills the other through both their nozzle sides.Worse is a problem where internally in the head a membrane is leaking. The last will not be solved by taking the head apart, it needs a new head, the first should be solved by cleaning the capping station and checking its function. Print a large area of yellow, if the color becomes more citron yellow at the end you most likely have no fault in the head. Both problems happened on Epsons too, that is where I had the experience.

Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

dunesurfer

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:14:51 am »

One of the best tips ever posted.For the guys close to TECHNICIANS AND SUPPORT,fine,for others,like me,support needs to fly in,from another country.Cleaned two heads of friends already,after erading this one.Ok,not here,but when it was posted the first time.

chichornio

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:12:48 am »

Did I reply on that message? I recall reading it. It can be ink running from the other channel into the yellow by an external path and that usually indicates a problem on the capping station with too little waste ink pumped away or an overfilled magenta cart and/or a near empty yellow cart. You get the picture, one ink channel fills the other through both their nozzle sides.Worse is a problem where internally in the head a membrane is leaking. The last will not be solved by taking the head apart, it needs a new head, the first should be solved by cleaning the capping station and checking its function. Print a large area of yellow, if the color becomes more citron yellow at the end you most likely have no fault in the head. Both problems happened on Epsons too, that is where I had the experience.

Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Thanks Ernst for your help. I didn´t had time to check what happened with the magenta-yellow printhead. Because I was in a rush and I had another set of brand new printhead to replace it, I just did that, and the z3200 started working again perfectly, with the right yellow on my matte prints. It looks to me that the membrane it´s broken, because when I pulled out the older printhead, it was magenta and yellow ink mixed in the printhead. Whenever I have time, I will clean the printhead externaly (without opening) and see what happens printing a full yellow patch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up