Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 1092567 times)

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out
« Reply #1360 on: March 07, 2013, 02:54:36 am »

I agree with Dennis - I think Jim installed his wiper assy cock-eyed.  The machine likely detected this and did a hard stop, probably because it wouldn't retract properly.  I think if Jim rolls the wiper assy back into position by manually turning the drive gear back by the pump and cap assy he will be able to get the wiper back into view, so he can re-install it.  Should be an easy fix I think so I've been directly coaching Jim through email about the process of taking half his machine apart, in the living room, while his St Bernard is watching.  All I asked for in return was the video.  :)

iladi

« Reply #1361 on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:09 am »

you may have a cart that loses pressure. or a bad chip.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:03:40 am by iladi »

jmlamont

Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out -- THANK YOU!
« Reply #1362 on: March 07, 2013, 09:41:33 am »

Thank you all for all your help with this problem. I especially want to thank Eric. I could not have solved it without him and would not have even dared to try.

As I write this, my printer has now gone through the final Head Alignment and it appears all is well. After taking the machine apart and re-installing the wipe blade assembly, early this morning, it took two Normal Cleans to get a Nozzle Check without breaks. The first Nozzle Check had almost no ink printing at all; second almost all ok but still a few breaks; third perfect. Elated is an understatement; I had resigned myself to likely losing the head, and hence the machine, since it had not been able to cap itself for roughly 10 hours because of the wiper assembly issue.

The problem may have arisen last night when I think I may have installed the new wiper assembly under the Flushing Box rather than to its right hand side. There is a gap there that is very similar to the gap for the wiper assembly, except that the assembly doesn't quite flush align in it, just as it didn't for me last night. Installing the wiper assembly this morning in the correct gap on the other hand was extremely straightforward (that is, after I had partially taken the printer apart with Eric's remote guidance, to rotate the assembly down into position), with absolutely no tendency to mis-align. Perhaps after I took the old one out last night and stepped aside to get the new one, I confused where to put the new one.  If that is the explanation, I am astonished it did not break the machine outright since both gaps move and installing the wiper assembly under the Flushing Box would presumably prevent the Flushing Box from traversing its full trajectory. Anyway, things appear to be back to normal, and I now have a new wiper blade installed.

Once again, thank you all, and especially Eric.

Blue moon

« Reply #1363 on: March 07, 2013, 10:29:53 am »

Hi Everyone
just finished second 15 day auto test today..no printer rocking , no printing......k3 inks.....daily start up....7800...
16 celsius 56 humidity.....cold dry room....
Absolutely perfect auto test.....first go....and each days start up was sweet.....knew there would be a good test...
Could be eating my words about rocking....
What a beautiful printer Mr Epson.......

Hi everyone
Just completed 3 rd 15 day auto test today ....NO PRINTER ROCKING.....k3 inks ..daily start ..7800 ...17.5 celsius ...57 humidity...cold dark dry room as usual..
NO PRINTING ....during 7800 test...

Anyway auto test was NOT good....in fact i could not get a clean auto test at all.....machine shut down without clearing the head.....had to wait until next day to get a clear auto test ..which i will admit happened quickly enough...
I have not had this experience when i was mildly shaking printer regularly....
Already the "printer shaking "side of the camp is slightly ahead of the "no printer shaking" side...with over half the comparison test over....
To be honest not looking forward to the last two 15 day tests...time will tell....
2 more 15 day auto tests for me to come to a personal conclusion as to whether printer rocking is a distraction or not...

Garnick

« Reply #1364 on: March 07, 2013, 02:04:56 pm »

Hello All,

Thought I'd add a bit to my ongoing saga of the 9900. As you are aware, Ive been awaiting yet another service call. My first call to Epson for this latest issue was placed a week ago yesterday and the service tech finally arrived about an hour ago. So that's a week and a day after the first call. Hey...just saying. I was originally thinking I would post this outside of this thread, but then decided it might get more input here.  

Just a short recap of the present situation. About a week and a half ago I noticed a light band on a print about 1/2" from the lead edge. Ran a nozzle check and everything was 100%, so another print and the same thing again. Now, at this stage I'm going to cut to the chase. Suffice to say that after trying everything the manual has to offer for banding issues and then talking with Epson and sending them a test showing the problem as well as a perfect nozzle pattern, the service call was ordered. And to the point of this post - one of the first things the service tech noticed and questioned me on is that fact that I was using a couple of "expired" carts. Now I can't say that his comment was in any way surprising. I can say that I've been using expired Epson carts on my two 7600s for many years without issue and on the 9900 as well. However, with all of the service calls I've had on the 9900, I don't recall the cart expiry date ever being mentioned. Perhaps this is some sort of new edict from Epson to make sure their cart sales are maintained. Cynical...who, me? I realize this is something that's been covered in the past, but most replies were of course anecdotal by nature. I suppose what I'm looking for here is some replies from those who might have experienced issues that were proven to be directly related to using expired carts. The explanation from the service tech(echoing that from Epson obviously) was that the ink can settle and cause a type of "sludge" in the print head once the expiry date has been exceeded. I suppose that to some extent that explanation does make some sense, although I have used carts in other Epson printers, 4000,7600s and 9900 for many for many years that were past their 'best before' date. And I'm reasonably certain that routine is quite common through this community as well. However, be that as it may, some actual evidence of a relationship between expired carts and print head problems would definitely add some credence to this claim. When the Tech came in this morning I first ran a nozzle check and as usual it showed no problem at all. My next test of an 8x10 neutral grad image showed very noticeable horizontal banding, the reason for the original Epson call. The Tech performed a number of other tests and then finally installed the new print head. Problem solved! Not sure why, but it works. I would love to know if Epson ever runs any sort of diagnostics on 'dead' heads to perhaps discover the cause if their demise.

Anyone experiencing issues with expired carts, please reply. Anyone still using expired carts without noticeable problems, please reply.

Oh yes, one more interesting note here. Well interesting IMO. I have a humidifier running close to the printer and try to keep it above 40% when possible. I asked the Tech his opinion on what effect humidity has on these printers, expecting him to say that it must be maintained at a certain level. His response was actually rather cavalier, as he said that in his experience humidity levels are not terribly critical. Go figure!

Thank you for your patience.
Gary        

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:56:01 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Blue moon

« Reply #1365 on: March 27, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »

Hi Everyone
Finished another 15 day test (no 4 of5 ) without any pigment stirring...just daily turn on...no printing either...
7800 fired a blemish free auto patch on its first effort without any difficulty ....very cold in ireland 16 celscius about the average without agressive heating....really surprised at how the printer recovered itself from the last auto test which was the worst test in about a year of not printing....ink in the printer behaving like ink in a cartridge....
Some of the older printers really require very little attention....its truly amazing.....they are hardy machines..
Seems to me most of the problem with printers is coming from poor hygiene techniques by both Epson and our good selves..especially me..
Delayed Photoflo tests until now.....will have results definitely by the time last auto test happens in 10 days time..
Matt

highway0691

« Reply #1366 on: April 10, 2013, 03:32:04 am »

Planning on replacing head on 7900. Have watched Eric's brilliant tutorial on vimeo. Before I buy head I need to know where to get the servprog.exe needed as outlined on end of tutorial. Does anyone know where to get it? Thanks

enduser

« Reply #1367 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:50 pm »

A mysterious .exe file.  Other hardware such as disc drives and flash memory controls use the same file name.

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #1368 on: April 11, 2013, 11:43:27 am »

Most interesting news I have is of the first X900 terminally clogged printhead actually being cleared!  This particular user contacted me through MYX900.com asking for advice about his clogged 4900.  We were working out a plan that would involve me lending him my cleaning carts so he could run solution through his machine, when he tried one last ditch effort on his own.  He ran a series of "Initialize Cartridge" procedures on his 4900 which took a serious amount of ink - but holy mother wouldn't you know it this eventually worked for him.  His 4900 is now printing clear again..

There's a WTF moment for you!

highway0691 contacted me offline and I directed him where to go.  He's all set.

I get contacted offline often now with different users experiencing different problems.  Some from here, others from MYX900.com.  I've sent my custom nipple plate around the world a few times by now too - for people now swapping heads on their own using the video.  So far everyone who has attempted the head change has been successful.  I never charge anyone for the nipple plate, it's more of an honor system.  I mail it out, they use it for the head swap then mail it back, and always they donate to the cause whatever they feel the help was worth.  The last time I mailed the nipple plate out kind of sucked though - after a bunch of friendly emails back and forth I sent it to a troubled 7900 user in Australia.  Things went dead after that, I get no responses now and I never got the nipple plate back.  No big deal, I have another and I don't plan to stop offering it up. 

Anyone needs help, you know where I am.

highway0691

« Reply #1369 on: April 12, 2013, 09:58:50 am »

Hi Eric - nipple plate. Is there an alternative thingo that I could whip up at home? Or is the nipple plate an essential item that cannot be replicated? Cheers Mate!

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #1370 on: April 14, 2013, 11:24:28 am »

It's not essential.  If you're doing a quick head swap there's only a brief moment the lines are open.  If it'll be longer though, you need to plug the lines.  A nipple plate is not the only way to plug the lines, but it's the best way I have found.

Garnick

« Reply #1371 on: April 14, 2013, 01:22:00 pm »

Most interesting news I have is of the first X900 terminally clogged printhead actually being cleared!  This particular user contacted me through MYX900.com asking for advice about his clogged 4900.  We were working out a plan that would involve me lending him my cleaning carts so he could run solution through his machine, when he tried one last ditch effort on his own.  He ran a series of "Initialize Cartridge" procedures on his 4900 which took a serious amount of ink - but holy mother wouldn't you know it this eventually worked for him.  His 4900 is now printing clear again..

There's a WTF moment for you!

The last time I mailed the nipple plate out kind of sucked though - after a bunch of friendly emails back and forth I sent it to a troubled 7900 user in Australia.  Things went dead after that, I get no responses now and I never got the nipple plate back.  No big deal, I have another and I don't plan to stop offering it up.  

Anyone needs help, you know where I am.

Two things Eric.  Where would one find the "Initialize Cartridge" command?  I suspect in maintenance mode, but I haven't done much there except for cleaning the wiper.  I suppose I should peruse that section further and find out what might be of interest, but of course not initiate any procedure until I have first researched the possible ramifications.

Now to the Nipple Plate THIEF!  That is simply SHAMEFUL, and I know that most everyone on this forum would agree with that statement.  Of course that doesn't do anything toward getting it back to you, and I know you wouldn't be the one to "OUT" that member, but perhaps a friendly word to the forum moderator would be the first step.  Get that person out of here, QUICKLY.  Perhaps some may see this as an overreaction, and of course everyone has a right to their own opinion.  That's mine and I stick by it!  We do NOT need people like that here, and until I'm proven wrong through some mistake in shipping etc, that shall remain my opinion.  Good luck with that Eric.

Gary
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:10:33 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

pixeldoppelganger

« Reply #1372 on: April 18, 2013, 02:28:14 pm »

Hi Forum,

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this to, but I've been loosely following the thread since it's inception... but faded off...

I called Epson recently to find out IF my 9900 head was to die, could I purchase a head replacement and for how much money.
Here's the response from Epson America

>>>>

Joyce_Thacker@ea.epson.com

to me
Hi again, I got a bit more information. The price for the print head is $1,299.00 however they are currently out of stock with no current ETA.

Joyce

>>>>>

I've sent a follow up email.  No stock and no idea of replacements??
2 Epson tech supporters told me they are now keeping a tight control on every 9900/7900 head, due to their technology.. they don't want it getting out
of their control

Nice, huh?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:15:59 pm by pixeldoppelganger »

highway0691

« Reply #1373 on: April 20, 2013, 02:39:55 am »

Hi Forum,

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this to, but I've been loosely following the thread since it's inception... but faded off...

I called Epson recently to find out IF my 9900 head was to die, could I purchase a head replacement and for how much money.
Here's the response from Epson America

>>>>

to me
Hi again , I got a bit more information. The price for the print head is $1,299.00 however they are currently out of stock with no current ETA.

Joyce

>>>>>

I've sent a follow up email.  No stock and no idea of replacements??
2 Epson tech supporters told me they are now keeping a tight control on every 9900/7900 head, due to their technology.. they don't want it getting out
of their control

Nice, huh?

I've just ordered a new head for the 7900 and I'm told the eta is 35 days. So this may be why.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:47:11 pm by highway0691 »

enduser

« Reply #1374 on: April 20, 2013, 02:52:59 am »

That "ea.epson.com"  doesn't lead  anywhere.

pixeldoppelganger

« Reply #1375 on: April 20, 2013, 09:37:01 am »

Ok, thanks on the ETA update.  I'm surprised you received an answer... as currently they have no answer for me...

The email from Joyce is correct. I've been dealing with her since last year on faulty 700ml cartridges. She handled the
replacements and shipping.

I contacted her when Diana TenCate would not return my calls.  I've been told Diana's in the support department at
Epson's Indianapolis location and handles the 9900 heads.   Still waiting on her to contact me about a purchase...

mhakansson

« Reply #1376 on: April 24, 2013, 01:52:38 pm »

Great thread this, thanks for all good info and effort. It made me change a printer head on a 9900 after I tried different cleaning methods suggested in this thread. Worked like a sharm. Only did two c2 cleanings and nozzlecheck was OK.
So when a 7900 had the same problem and no cleaning methods worked I changed the head but after several cleanings including powercleanings only half of the nozzels worked. Ordered a damper assembly(Selector Unit) and following the service manual  I wrapped some paper aroud the tubes. Cleaned the o rings with windtex and then I took away the paper from the tubes, it hade sucked out quite amount of ink of some tubes. With wisual air pockets. Put it all together and did one powerclean. No ink at all on the nozzle check. Did some other cleaning and again powerclean. Nothing! I can see on a tube with lot of air in it nothing hapens. Finally I did an initial fill and wasted a lot of ink. But it didn't help at all. No ink on paper.
I need your help. What can be the problem?

Garnick

« Reply #1377 on: April 24, 2013, 02:32:52 pm »

of their control

This is obviously a total sham.  Absolutely ridiculous!  The only thing Epson is trying to protect is their relationship with Decision One.  Personally I will never deal with D1 again.  They have been extremely careless with their database and have lost all of my contact information(including address) twice, as if I didn't exist.  During the three year warranty on the 9900 I have had to deal with them far too many times unfortunately, so the fact that they lost all of my information is inexcusable.  Or perhaps it was done purposely, who knows?  Notice I haven't mentioned the D1 techs.  The two fellows that I have dealt with were, for the most part, efficient and fairly knowledgeable concerning the 9900, but the practice of throwing the same parts at it repeatedly was not what I would expect from a service company or from Epson.  I hope when the day arrives that I'm in need of another new print head(the fourth one) there will actually be one in stock from my local supplier.  I'm on my own now, so every morning I push the power button and wait to see what the latest breaking news might be.  So far it's been good news and hope that continues, but experience is the best teacher and I have learned to expect just about anything when it comes to this printer. 

Gary         
Gary N.

Denniswcr

« Reply #1378 on: April 25, 2013, 10:38:03 am »

mhakansson

I'm no expert but have you checked to see if the cartridges are pressurized.  The 7900 uses a pressure system to get ink into the heads.  You should hear the pump run at startup and then stop when the system is at pressure.  Perhaps there is a leak  in the pressure line somewhere.

Dennis
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:40:48 am by Denniswcr »

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #1379 on: April 25, 2013, 11:15:54 am »

I only "know" what I've been told, and by now I've been told a lot about these printers, and Epson, and these X900 heads.  Considering why Epson now so closely regulates who they sell replacement heads to (and who they don't) - here's what I've been told:

Unless you can give them the serial number off your machine, and it checks out on their end, they won't sell you a replacement head.  Why not?  Apparently you get a pretty sweet deal on your head when you buy a new Epson.  Other manufacturers who use X900 heads in their machines have to pay Epson a whole lot more for them.  So....  think about it for a sec and it'll all make sense.  It's not their technology they want to protect, that's what patents are for.  It's the Epson user discount they're trying to protect.  I've taken these heads apart, pretty impressive stuff inside.  $1,350 is a bargain in my eyes.

mhakansson - until your lines are clear of air pockets, your missing nozzle problems are most likely further up stream than your head.  Do you remember if there were air pockets in your lines before you replaced your head?  Gotta find the source of all that air.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 77   Go Up