Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 1092770 times)

tomsud

Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out
« Reply #760 on: July 12, 2012, 04:24:08 pm »

Bonjour Jean-Christian,
Proper maintenance on this kind of Epson machines here in  Franceand specialy in  my region is REALLY hard to find!
And sorry for my wrong calculation euro in dollars ... that's a while since I have bought in the usa ... and I do not watch currency movements closely. ::) ::) ::)

Ok thx again Eric  I will send you an email soon! ;)

For the print head model :f 191010 or f 191040 f (new model) I received an offer from a dealerfrom poland  who sells  new heads for 721 euros
  1 euro = $ 1.23 = $ 886.83  ;D ;D ;D , no shipping costs for the head , I will call tomorrow (I have the night to learn Polish ...) :-[
Otherwise it will be Germany, but must  decide tomorrow
I also through the intermediary of a forum on the plotters in belgium get the advice of a technician who knows  the Epson 9900, he did not think the print head can be defective after only 82 prints...(heu in fact i have just 100 prints  >:( I found a way to display the number of pages printed in the maintenance menu! it would have been funnier if it had stuck after 666 impressions ;))
I also find hard to believe ! that a piece as young as it can break whithout any warning before, but I really did every test possible, exept the reset of the mother board that you can not do on this machine to my knowledge.
So  tomorrow i purchase the new  head

tomsud

« Reply #761 on: July 14, 2012, 09:26:13 am »

hello,
The new print head is on the way, thank you to Erik for all the infos.... 8)
However, one thing worries me: what has blown a head of only 100 impressions ....... I did not want to sit the new without really understanding what happened!
I found an idea on a Chinese site but the automatic translator does not work  well with the Chinese, then the result is nearly incomprehensible ... he talks (the Chinese guy) about short circuits in cables and overvoltage in the head during the cycle cleaning............................. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
the link is: http://www.dfmdyj.com/archiver/tid-50.html or here is the text about the 7900/9900 fatal error 1A39.

epson9910/7910/7710/9710 报错 1A39 Head error (打印头错误)
最近有客户epson 9910/ 7910 经常会出现 报错 1A39(打印头电压过高)

分析:1.打印头缆线是四根 如果没有插进过测试 会报1A39,请拆好所有缆线
          2.如果自己私自拆下来过打印头 用水或酒精 冲过打印头 可能打印头主板 短路了
          3.打印头在大量清洗中途,突然断电 又可能烧坏打印头电路
          解决方法:
      测试:找个可以出墨水的旧打印头,装上看,如果可以进入正常模式 进行打印头清洗 和打印测试页,测试出原打印头烧坏 依然报错可能是缆线短路
      解决:  更换打印头 及缆线

If anyone speaks Chinese it could help me!  ;D

Thanks !

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:32:32 am by tomsud »

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #762 on: July 14, 2012, 10:59:30 am »

My wife tells me I speak Chinese all the time.  Maybe I should give it a shot..

tomsud the guy you want to talk to is HAL9000

He's actually a member on Luminous Landscape - his screen name is LFPTECH, and I think he might even be Chinese.  Talk about a home-run.  Look him up and send him a personal message.  He chimed in on this thread back on page 36.  Chances are he can tell you why your head failed.  Please let us know what happens.  Good luck with HAL

tomsud

« Reply #763 on: July 15, 2012, 03:40:32 am »

Hello Eric and hello to all,
I will send a PM to HAL9000 to tell him about my 9900 odyssey,  I've seen his posts on this forum is a repairer and dealer parts it seems.
Yesterday I checked (again)  the board assy hands 1, 2, 3 and tensions of the main board, everything looks ok!

In fact i was not personaly right  in front of the tracer when  the error comes, but a  friend who  was in the studio  told me that it was arrived at the beginning of a cleaning cycle
 I reflect on that.... ???  because the mysterious text in chinese talk about something like that.
The new print head will arrive middle of next week I think.
I am also frightened by the amount of ink loose  when i have to power on the machine for checks ! of course  I've disabled all cleaning possible! except the start one that you can not stop ....
Meanwhile as photography is my  job ! I need sometimes to print  (thank you god !!! only for now  in medium format!) I re-use my "little" Epson 1400 six color, which also cost me a fortune in ink! but at least it prints!
Today i'll will try to find an old client who is Asian and ask him  if he can read Chinese (he is from asia....but where .....vietnam thailand corea ...china ???)
 see then the next episode!

Have a nice day! or night!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:25:23 am by tomsud »

tomsud

« Reply #764 on: July 17, 2012, 12:45:38 pm »

Yes !  the translation of the text in Chinese is done !

It is  question of:
-Checking  of the cables which feed the head
-Precaution to be taken during the cleaning of the head with some special liquid or...water...alcool.... (maybe i should try with some wine   ;D ;D ;D red or white ?)
-And because connections are make with  very long computer cables type it  is difficult to verify them perfectly so  it is recommended to change all of them and to try with an old operational head before put a brand new head...
- A short circuit in one of the 4 cables can cause(provoke) a fusion(merger) of the head.... :'( :'( :'(
Translation made by an old Chinese!!! 8)

Of course i have no new cables here and  the  only old head  that I have is the broken one
 the new print head  can be here thursday...'ill see how far i can go with my cable check, And if I have doubts I am going to order a set of  new cables.... ::)

bhuddleston

« Reply #765 on: July 26, 2012, 06:11:46 pm »

Thanks so much Eric for EVERYTHING you have done, experienced in order to share with all of us. I have read this entire thread and I feel comforted in what I have done, tried and taken apart :D And thanks to everyone else that has shared info and problems in this thread as well.

I have a problem with my 9900 that seems similar to what you started out with. My 9900 which is of course out of warranty has what I am assuming clogs in my PK/MK.

I had started a thread here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=68971.0 but then found this one and started to read.

First let me start of by saying I am in the oldest part of a library on a university campus. I have had my 9900 for about 3.5 years, no problems, great prints. I love this machine (well until now). I print several times a week big and small, matte and photo. I do not print on any fabrics. Just photo paper and matte presentation paper. On rare occasion I do print on the poly-synthetic vinyl. I only use Epson inks and paper. Early on I tried some other branded paper and had so much problem with settings that I switched back.

Now luckily enough I have never had any problems with the air in my area until (even being built in the 1950s) until now. Starting this past may my air went from being 65 degrees F to being between 82-87 degrees F.  Then it went back and forth forever until now, I am back at 65 and suppose to stay (so I have been promised). I am saying all of this to say I feel like this has begun the problems with my precious (yes im a LOTR fan).

So I started out with some cleaning cycles "naturally". Pairs, full clean, SS, nothing helped nozzle check stayed exactly the same. I put a wet sponge in over night, nothing. I have taken the machine apart basically and cleaned the wiper blade, which after seeing pictures of yours, mine actually looked okay but I am still planning on replacing it. I cleaned around the caps, etc...
I even managed to take the thing apart to get to the head ( I am not skeered, lol, I am a woman that lives to take junk apart!) My head looked okay to me but I have no idea what a clogged head looks like and I am guessing not many people do since you cannot really see it lol. I cannot wait till you take yours apart.
Now being that I work for a University the budget for me is not great LOL, im serious. So if I tell my boss I need to buy a head for $1200 he is going to flip but if it has to be done....
I am trying everything in my power to not have to do this of course. I obviously have no problem tearing in to this machine, I have not even screwed it all back together just waiting for something else to hit me to try. I have let it sit over night off after a cleaning, nozzle check no change. I have tried various prints to work through air and what-not, no change. I have noticed that if there is alot of black of course that is where you see the banding but if something is very colorful you do not see it.

I would appreciate any ideas, help, thoughts anyone has at all. I have tried several things I have read in this thread except for the overnight soaking of my head because I do not have cleaning solution (yet). I have some windex and warm water, that is it.

Thanks again everyone
B

tomsud

« Reply #766 on: July 30, 2012, 04:35:44 am »

Hello all
Here  news of my “adventures” with my 9900, but first  I would like to answer bhuddleston in the preceding post (I use a translator on line because in the morning I speak only Chinese, it is early here in France thus excuse for the errors) my opinion is that the problem is not (too much) serious, makes Poly-propylene-film  has tendency  to melt slightly with heat, therefore the microphone-cells on the head pièzo are stopped ( only at a given temperature) there was deposit of adhesive (cellulose)  therefore to pass a sponge  on the head will change nothing!!! it is stuck! and with dust inside moreover!
As regards my print head on my 9900 it arrived, I assemble it tomorrow, but ...... I did not find the source real of the breakdown! so......

bhuddleston

« Reply #767 on: July 31, 2012, 09:25:37 am »

So what do you suggest? Is there a way to get it unstuck or do you think I will need a new head? Do you think I should try Eric's soaking method?

thanks

fetish

« Reply #768 on: August 14, 2012, 02:05:21 pm »

epson9910/7910/7710/9710 报错 1A39 Head error (打印头错误)
最近有客户epson 9910/ 7910 经常会出现 报错 1A39(打印头电压过高)

分析:1.打印头缆线是四根 如果没有插进过测试 会报1A39,请拆好所有缆线
          2.如果自己私自拆下来过打印头 用水或酒精 冲过打印头 可能打印头主板 短路了
          3.打印头在大量清洗中途,突然断电 又可能烧坏打印头电路
          解决方法:
      测试:找个可以出墨水的旧打印头,装上看,如果可以进入正常模式 进行打印头清洗 和打印测试页,测试出原打印头烧坏 依然报错可能是缆线短路
      解决:  更换打印头 及缆线

Ok i'm gonna do a direct translation. i'm not gonna be responsible for the factual accuracy in the article.

Possibilities analysis:
1: there are 4 electrical connection points for the print head. if any one of them is not connected properly, it'll generate a 1A39 error message, so check all the connectors.
2: if you removed the print head yourself, and have used water or alcohol to clean the print head, you might have short circuited the main print head circuitboard.
3: there is a chance that during a SSCL or power clean cycle, there is a power outage, that may possibly destroy the print head's circuits.

Solution:
Try to connect another (older) print head and see if it works. if it does work, enter into cleaning cycle and do a normal print. from there you can determine if you'd need to change a new print head or whichever connector / circuits.

hope that helps.

tomsud

« Reply #769 on: August 17, 2012, 12:42:28 pm »

Hoooo................. yes thanks, think i understand my prob !!! and i'll will get a power regulation system! that a  power outage ! capisto ! compris ! understood !!!  merci ! gracia mille ! thks

The Ink Guy

« Reply #770 on: August 18, 2012, 05:57:38 am »

First Things First !!!

Especially Eric and all those who have contributed to this post 

A BIG THANKS  !!!!!

It was a great learning for maintaining 7900 with immensely valuable inputs.
Certainly gives us the confidence to maintain and use the machines.

Regards

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #771 on: August 22, 2012, 01:26:09 pm »

So what do you suggest? Is there a way to get it unstuck or do you think I will need a new head? Do you think I should try Eric's soaking method?

thanks

Sorry I just got this, sometimes my thread updates end up in the toilet (spam folder).

First don't freak out I doubt soaking your head has hurt anything.  Remember, my genius buddy and I put our head through a very intricate maze of water based/chemical based/Simple Green based cleaning procedures, some of which involved soaking for 24hrs, others which involved sucking fluid through the head in reverse, etc - none of which helped or harmed our head in any way at all.  Both the clogs and the clear nozzles remained as they were.  The trip to Canada completely crushed our head but whatever, we had already written it off before shipping it.

HAL suggested to me this special fluid which is rumored to be from Epson themselves.  I have it, but have not yet tried it. 

Our race season is in full swing and quite surprisingly we are achieving results which suggest I am not only faster than I really am, but also less than half of my age, which has been rather inspiring.  My free-time focus is distracted as a result. 

So irresponsible, I'll get back to work soon I promise

bhuddleston

« Reply #772 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:09 pm »

HAL suggested to me this special fluid which is rumored to be from Epson themselves.  I have it, but have not yet tried it. 

Where or how do we get this "special fluid" :)

bhuddleston

« Reply #773 on: August 22, 2012, 01:50:43 pm »

Oh also let me share that I call the epson people and the guy i spoke with gave me the number of the person to call to purchase a new head for my 9900. He also gave me the part number and said it was $1132.12. That was this past friday, August 17th. We called monday to order the part and they said that beginning August 2nd the head had gone up to $1299 :o
What's insane is I found a brand new 9900 from a company online that was selling the machine for $1500!

Anyway my head and wiper assembly is on the way! I cant wait to get it installed and running. I will keep you all informed :)

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #774 on: August 22, 2012, 08:55:13 pm »

LFPTECH (HAL) is your source for the cleaning fluids.  You can email him directly or by doing a member search on this site.  Either will get you the same address - lfptech@yahoo.com

I'd get on it if I were you.  Supposedly the longer your head stays clogged, the longer it's going to stay clogged..

bhuddleston

« Reply #775 on: September 10, 2012, 10:25:04 am »

Okay, I have a question. I know that in this thread you have discussed some things to do as PM or general up-keep.
Is there a list somewhere of all the things that you should be doing for or to your printer on a regular basis to keep it running well?
does that make sense lol?

thanks
b

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #776 on: September 10, 2012, 01:11:03 pm »

It's been quite a while now I've been considering creating a "Sticky" for the first page of this thread - maybe considering your request we should create two!  One giving a power-points summary of key points in this thread, the other giving key maintenance tips. 

Does anyone know who to contact about creating "stickys" on this forum?  I'd be happy to do the summary.

As for your regular maintenance question bhuddleston, for sure I will only scratch the surface here - many others here are far more knowledgable than I am.  But I'll give it a go for you;

Wiper Blade:  check it, clean it, change it
Humidity:  40-60%
Print regularly:  I have a test print of estimated swatches of each ink color that I run through our 7900 every 2-3 days, which helps keep it from clogging but it is NOT perfect.  Like someone suggested when I initially posted the test print image here on Luminous Landscape, this image would be more effective if it were made from rip program which exclusively called for each channel to fire.  My test image does not do this
Cleanings:  inevitably, no matter how well you take care of your printer, you will have clogs to clear.  I printed a perfect 24"X80" print Saturday night, which made me feel great about flushing our printhead of any old ink.  Wrong.  I had a clog to clear Sunday morning.  What I CAN offer you is advice on "how" to clear routine clogs in your X900 printhead.  Print a nozzle pattern, turn the machine off then restart it in serviceman mode, scroll down the serviceman cleaning menu until you get to specific channel pairings, select the lightest cleaning (#1) of that pairing and run it, restart printer in regular mode, print a nozzle pattern.  It has been my experience that this method wastes the least amount of ink during cleanings.  Someone, I can't remember who, suggested this method deep inside this actual thread.  It works.
Ink Storage:  I met this printer guru guy from San Francisco a while back.  Supposedly printing is all he does.  He's a genius in his own mind from what I can tell.  Anyway I asked him about using Epson inks past their expiration date, which many people suggest is fine to do.  I figured while I had him in front of me I'd ask him too.  He said, and I quote, "Store them in the refrigerator.  Not an issue."

bhuddleston

« Reply #777 on: September 10, 2012, 01:19:08 pm »

Thanks Eric for the list of tips. This helps out alot. I do think it would be wonder to start a list as you suggested. I know it would be very beneficial to people other than just me :)

I need to get a gauge that tells me the temp and humidity level for the room my printer is in. Most of the time it stays at about 68 degrees or so.

Also do you suggest turning off the auto clean option?

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #778 on: September 10, 2012, 01:31:58 pm »

Yes I have mine off, and I know many others do as well.  It puts more responsibility on you, which is a decision only you should make, but it opens up the opportunity to save you a lot of ink

Bob DeBellis

« Reply #779 on: September 10, 2012, 11:56:19 pm »

Hi All,
Thanks for the informative blog generated by loads of pain. It is quite overwhelming.
I am recently the victim of a 7900 printer nozzle clog after returning home from a 2 wk vacation. I kept the cost of the vacation to a minimum, driving to New Orleans from South Florida with a buddy sharing expenses. After I arrived home I realized I should have purchased travel insurance for my 7900 printer. My printer is coming up on 2 yrs old and has had very little use, most of it being cleaning cycles and nozzle prints. There has been perhaps 15-20 prints made due to my introduction to digital photography learning curve. I always check the print nozzles and do cleanings as needed. I've contacted Epson supported and although they are very kind they offer no solutions, liquid or otherwise, only the services of overpriced Delusion 1. When I found out the likely cost from Delusion 1, I nearly went into cardiac arrest. Epson has added insult to injury by not allowing me to purchase parts and not giving me access to the Servprog software. I'm willing to fix it myself and am also capable.
I'm very angry with and disappointed in Epson. When I read the brochure about the print quality, I don't recall any warnings about having to be a commercial user or the printer will fail you warning. This is a problem with the printer design and they should fix these without cost as this shouldn't be happening, period.
Does anyone know where I can get parts or the servprog.exe software?
Thanks
Bob D.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 77   Go Up