Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 1092919 times)

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out
« Reply #240 on: February 06, 2012, 12:22:32 pm »

The "Ranking" process required to assure your Epson 79/9900 gets along with your new head is simple to follow.  You enter the letters and numbers in the order they appear on the sticker glued to the head - from upper left to lower right, until but INCLUDING the last digit in the grouping which falls in the place of in this case, the "%".  So for the head pictured just below you would enter from "H" all the way to "%", then disregard "C1R.AH".  Here is a screen-grab showing the rank logging procedure as it is described in the manual:

This is a picture of the "Ranking Tag" on our original 7900 printhead.  As you can see, easy to log - from the first "H" to the last of the qualified digits, in this case "1", there are 45 characters - like there is supposed to be.

This is a picture of the Ranking Tag on our replacement "7900 printhead".  As you can see, not so easy to log - from the "O" to the last of the qualified digits, in this case "*", there are only 42 characters.  Incomplete ranking info.  Both Steve and I suspect this particular head is not for a 7900 at all, even though it is identical in every other aspect that we can see.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:34:18 pm by Go394 »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #241 on: February 06, 2012, 03:47:54 pm »

Hard to imagine which other printer it could be, the x900's are all the same I think. If one channel on that head is without any nozzles you got an 11880 head but that should be visible on the nozzle side.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #242 on: February 06, 2012, 03:51:41 pm »

I don't know for sure, but I think the 4900 head may not be the same as the 7900 head.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #243 on: February 06, 2012, 04:32:41 pm »

Mark,

You could be right, the German price list shows another order number for the 4900 head and a slightly different price.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

chaddro

« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2012, 04:35:07 pm »

Eric,

That is a QR code on the head (the 3 squares and squiggly marks) ... use a QR reader and see if it gives you the proper numbers for registering your head.

-chadd

Randy Carone

« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2012, 04:49:52 pm »

When I scan the QTR it reads as follows:
0H6A6460QVTSWZUUYRTXUVVTRUQQSVTSVVZVUXXWW*MQMSLNNLLLMLPMNMLPMN.....F85291A010060202916AB.

I hope this info helps.
Randy Carone

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

The instructions guide you to enter all characters up to and including the "*".   From your scan Randy, it looks like we entered all that we can enter, and that we did this correctly.  I do not know what all those extra characters stand for.  Maybe part #s?  Model #s?  So much of this is still a mystery.  But it won't always be.  I believe our answers are drawing nearer by the moment.

Please excuse me but the current stale-mate of this thread reminds me of a scene from Jason and the Argonauts.  I can't avoid the looming feeling that by people who already know the answers to the riddles we face today, we are being watched...

chaddro

« Reply #247 on: February 06, 2012, 06:03:32 pm »

I did some digging. The 11880 head uses a 42 digits. The 9880/7880's appear to use a 40-digit id.

So, it is simply the wrong head.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:07:57 pm by chaddro »

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #248 on: February 06, 2012, 06:08:00 pm »

Awesome find Chaddro.  How did you come up with that?  Do you have an 1180 manual? 

Again, awesome find.  That's another hurdle under us.

Farmer

« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2012, 07:38:20 pm »

That also means that success in certain channels doesn't prove that the ribbon cable isn't a problem - they may not connect/fire in the same order.
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #250 on: February 06, 2012, 08:07:25 pm »

Phil, what are you referring to here?

Farmer

« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2012, 10:01:39 pm »

If the second head wasn't a head designed for that printer, then Eric's note that the second one printed the channels that the first one didn't, doesn't prove that the cable is not the culprit.  Indeed, if the first head had say 4 failing nozzles (always the same ones) and the second head also had 4 failing nozzles (always the same ones) you might very well find that the different head had a different electrical order for the heads, so a broken cable could be quite feasible.

Of course, in this specific example, a second hand 18 month old head as the replacement isn't a good yardstick by which to compare because it may have it's own failings.

Basically, because it's not the right head, you can't read into it that, the fact it appears to fire nozzles that appear not to be firing in the original head, means that the cable is not faulty.
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2012, 10:29:52 pm »

Basically, because it's not the right head, you can't read into it that, the fact it appears to fire nozzles that appear not to be firing in the original head, means that the cable is not faulty.

Up to that sentence I'm with you. Then I got tangled up. I think you're saying the cable may still be faulty even though the second head, which is an incorrect one, fires nozzles that appear not to be firing in the first head. Right?

Anyhow. the more I read in this thread from highly experienced and knowledgeable people such as yourself, the more I'm convinced this case needs systematic, hands-on expert diagnosis, if that's still possible in light of all that has transpired.

Farmer

« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2012, 11:40:15 pm »

Up to that sentence I'm with you. Then I got tangled up. I think you're saying the cable may still be faulty even though the second head, which is an incorrect one, fires nozzles that appear not to be firing in the first head. Right?

Anyhow. the more I read in this thread from highly experienced and knowledgeable people such as yourself, the more I'm convinced this case needs systematic, hands-on expert diagnosis, if that's still possible in light of all that has transpired.

Right! :-)
Phil Brown

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #254 on: February 07, 2012, 02:16:36 am »

My idea is to get this head analyzed by someone, or something, that has intimate knowledge of these heads and this technology.  I am actively trying to make that happen.  Might be a dream, but then so was printing at 24" wide.  Look how close I came to that...

Ultimately I would like us all to know exactly what we are up against considering clogs, maintenance, and successful use of these x900 printers/heads.  Right now our knowledge seems a bit blurry.  We should be able to improve on this.  After all what good is it to be told your head is bad by a service tech, if you aren't told exactly why it is bad, or how exactly it went bad.  You'll just end up there again.

...and Dan Berg, thank you for trying to get "Dano" to chime in on this thread.  I just read your blatant thread hijacking in his "Epson Exhibition Canvas Recommendations" thread.  It seems he ignored your request but it was a great gesture by you to stick your neck out like that.  Thank you

Trust me I am a determined little %&(*#$$.  We will get answers.  It would be great if they came from Epson themselves but I am not getting the impression that will happen.  If push comes to shove I will take this head apart with a razor blade and microscope
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:58:25 am by Go394 »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:31 am »

Eric,
Actually Dano personally  called me and we talked on the phone for sometime.
He is very limited on what he can say on a very public forum as you can understand.
Behind the scenes he just might be the guy that can help with this?

jeverton

« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2012, 10:35:54 am »

Dan,

Did you have any exchange of ideas with Dano on a preventive maintenance plan for the Epson Stylus Pro printers?  If so, what was his perspective?  I have to presume – just like with an airplane the pilot would expect a maintenance schedule to keep flying.  Therefore, with a professional printer, there should also be a documented prescriptive maintenance scheduled – beyond the internal printer notifications – perhaps something written in a user’s manual?

Jeff

dgberg

« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2012, 10:42:18 am »

Jeff,
Sorry,we did not get that deep into this issue.
Just wanted to make sure he was following along,and he was.
All we can hope for is that he now passes this on to someone in the know.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:21 am »

Jeff, this idea of a "preventive maintenance plan" has surfaced elsewhere in this thread. When I got to thinking about it, it struck me that perhaps it isn't really feasible. Look at it this way. When manufacturers design sophisticated machinery like this, you must assume that they think carefully about maintenance, and what parts of the machine should be user-serviceable and which not. Think of the number of things you buy where there is a notice in the manual or engraved on the unit itself saying "There are no user serviceable components in this product", or "The opening of this panel by unauthorized service personnel voids the warranty" - all to the same effect - intended to keep people with no training or inappropriate training out of the innards. Whatever maintenance they do think is safe for most normal untrained users they include in the manual. Having seen what I've seen in this thread and perusing the reference materials people have made available here, my sense of the matter is that Epson has most likely decided very consciously what is user serviceable and already provided for it - as laid out in the manual, the software and the LED panel. I personally would not even attempt to change the wiper blade in my 4900 if that ever became necessary for example, as straightforward to the unsuspecting that may sound, because of what needs to be done to access it, and the risk of expensive collateral damage I could do trying to save dollars on a service call. There are economies that are real and economies that are false, and the theory of comparative advantage actually has practical merit.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:56:56 am by Mark D Segal »

dgberg

« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2012, 11:10:04 am »

Jeff, this idea of a "preventive maintenance plan" has surfaced elsewhere in this thread. When I got to thinking about it, it struck me that perhaps it isn't really feasible. Look at it this way. When manufacturers design sophisticated machinery like this, you must assume that they think carefully about maintenance, and what parts of the machine should be user-serviceable and which not. Think of the number of things you buy where there is a notice in the manual or engraved on the unit itself saying "There are no user serviceable components in this product", or "The opening of this panel by unauthorized service personnel voids the warranty" - all to the same effect - intended to keep people with no training or inappropriate training out of the innards. Whatever maintenance they do think is safe for most normal untrained users they include in the manual. Having seen what I've seen in this thread and perusing the reference materials people have made available here, my sense of the matter is that Epson has most likely decided very consciously what is user serviceable and already provided for it - as laid out in the manual, the software and the LED panel. I personally would not even attempt to change the wiper blade in my 4900 if that ever became necessary for example, as straightforward to the unsuspecting that may sound, because of what needs to be done to access it, and the risk of expensive collateral damage I could do trying to save dollars on a service call. There are economies that are real and economies that are false, and the theory of comparative advantage actually has practical merit.

Mark,

I think what we are discussing here is a wiper blade change "Out of warranty"
If you add a k for thousand to your save dollars comment it changes everything.
Very little chance you would get Decision One out for a service call for much less than a grand.
I agree I would not touch a thing while this is covered by Epson.
Today with no warranty I'll change that wiper in a heart beat.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 77   Go Up