Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 1092804 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2012, 06:04:37 pm »

Hi Phil, yes, that makes sense. I do intend to get in touch with Epson Canada about the servicing situation; some firms do come up in a search, with no indication about whether they are authorized Epson service facilities, or have technicians specifically trained on these printers. If anything, this thread has demonstrated the usefulness of having knowledgeable and useful support close at hand for when small repairs or maintenance tasks come up that make a huge difference to machine performance.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2012, 07:46:48 pm »

David, thanks, they are in Markham, which lies Northwest of Toronto proper. I do not believe they are an Epson-authorized printer repair facility.

jeverton

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2012, 11:59:11 am »

Progress report:  

We lost so much ink in the first and second failed DIY clog attempts that we have to wait for new carts to show up mid-week before we can charge this machine.  At least now it's together though.  Almost.

Eric,

I truly appreciate the updates and progress you are making with the printer... As I might just be heading down the same road shortly.  Are you going to stay with the "official" Epson inks or do you plan to use a different source?  Where did you find the Pemla EDI Cleaning fluid for the head?  What was your final mixture of fluid and distilled water? 

Jeff

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:54 pm »

Thanks Jeff.  I have yet to operate this printer smoothly or successfully with the Epson inks, so most likely I wouldn't experiment with other inks at least until I do.  At this point I have no knowledge on alternate inks.  I found the Pemla EDI cleaning fluid as a result of one of my seven million online searches for help cleaning Epson 7900 print head clogs.  That's where the "Anthony" contact came from.  His email is some number of posts above.  As for my other contact, where I found the great prices on the pump and cap assembly, that was a result of one of my three hundred ebay searches. 

I need to get better at searches..

I was instructed to dilute the Pemla cleaning fluid to the following ratio:   15% Pemla to 85% distilled water.  I was then told to pre-heat the solution before pouring it into the cleaning carts, because apparently warm solution cleans better than cold. 

Keep in mind though, this cleaning cart and solution procedure was not successful for us.  But the solution definitely WAS successful every other way we used it.

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:55 pm »

UPDATE:

I called Epson.  Asked them for a wiper cleaning assembly.  They gave me the part number, and three telephone numbers to the only (3) official Epson parts distributors in the US.  I called every one of them.  Are you ready for this?

NO ONE STOCKS EPSON 7900 WIPER CLEANER ASSEMBLIES

Here are the three numbers they gave me:

1 - Oregon - Compass micro
no automated menu nonsense - human answers the call.  Horrible website, call instead.
2 - New York - National Parts Depot
annoying automated menu nonsense, just press 5 to get where you want.  Crap website, just call instead.  *NOTE:  if you are lucky like I was, the hottest telephone operator on the east coast simply melts you into submission.  You will order every part they have.
3 - Georgia - Vance Baldwin
best website of the bunch.  Don't order the wiper from them, they have a $15 minimum order - the wiper cleaner assembly is less than that.

Of the three Epson parts distributors, I went with Compassmirco.com.  They sell the wiper cleaner assembly for $13.  The price I quoted in a previous post, $16, was from my Pemla contact, Anthony.  Now I understand where he gets his parts from - he had told me direct from Epson, which I now understand is impossible.  While I had Compassmicro on the phone I told them about this thread on Luminous Landscape, and how important the wiper cleaner assembly is to the 79/9900's successful use.  They said they might stock them in the future.

I ordered FIVE wiper cleaner assemblies - part # 1504179.  Why five?  Just in case any of you guys want one now.  If so send me $13 plus $5 shipping, I will mail it to you in a $5 usps flat rate box.  It'll get anywhere in two days for that amount.  I will have them Friday, 2/3/12

Eric
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:33:30 pm by Go394 »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2012, 01:35:04 pm »

UPDATE:

NO ONE STOCKS EPSON 7900 WIPER CLEANER ASSEMBLIES

Eric

Eric, in a way, this may be very good news - because if more people needed them it would be a moving item and the distributors would stock them. :-)

Now that doesn't help much when the odd order comes in that DOES need one and it's not there, but.......moving from the particular to the general, you see what I mean.

na goodman

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2012, 01:49:56 pm »

I've ordered from CompassMicro for years, I think I have listed them on this site before for parts. Years ago I actually ordered Epson's cleaning fluid from them - came from Japan at the time. I still have the gallon jug. They have always been a good company to deal with. I can't wait for that first print, wish the ink would arrive.

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2012, 01:54:08 pm »

Eric, in a way, this may be very good news - because if more people needed them it would be a moving item and the distributors would stock them. :-)

Now that doesn't help much when the odd order comes in that DOES need one and it's not there, but.......moving from the particular to the general, you see what I mean.

Actually I see this as an indication of a problem.  Which kind of makes sense.  I think if more people KNEW they needed them, they would order them, and replace them regularly - which could possibly lead to less people having frustrating, time and money wasting clogging issues which actually get worse sometimes with cleanings.  But they don't know they need them, like my friend Dan who I got this 7900 from, so they don't order/replace them - which is likely why none of the US distributors stock them.  You see the condition of the wiper on this 7900 I got from Dan.  And Dan knows printing.  He has a 9900 as well.  He takes care of his equipment too.  Trust me I can tell from the condition of this 7900 I bought from him.  But his wiper cleaner assembly was completely shot.  My bet is, Dan had no idea it was shot.  My next bet is, Dan is likely checking the wiper cleaner assembly on his 9900 right now.  My third bet is Dan will order a wiper cleaner assembly today, even if his 9900 doesn't need one.  How do I know this?  Dan is also a carpenter - we all think alike..

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2012, 02:28:23 pm »

Yes, that is indeed another way of looking at things - if people don't know what they need, they wouldn't order it and the business wouldn't be there. Raises an intriguing question about how much of the total trouble one sees reported isn't due to this one relatively simple factor? And just think of it - as a result of this thread there will probably be a run on wiper blades.............  :-) and even a resale market......:-) Life can be fun!

chaddro

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »

I checked my wiper assembly on my 9890 last night. The menu's are slightly different.

This is such a simple procedure that I'm surprised Epson buried this in service mode instead of making it user replaceable like the cutter. I have less than 300 prints on my 9890, but there was some nice dried crusty ink on the back of the wiper blade.

I don't know if it is the same as the 9900/7900, but after replacing the wiper assembly and closing the lid, the head returned to home position and the machine acted like I'd pressed OK.

gwhitf

« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2012, 02:51:34 pm »

I appreciate all this great information. I am fighting clogs in a 7900 also, in the LLK.

There is an alternative cleaning method, if you're willing to enter Service Mode. Below "Maintenance" is "Cleaning", and you can clean, or super clean, or clean with colors. I choose to clean only my LLK, and even within that mode, there are four choices: CL1 through CL4; I am assuming degrees of intensity.

The same bars are missing in each and every nozzle check. Frustrating. Cannot blast thru them.

Eric thought that maybe cleaning thru this Service Mode might use less ink. I have not solved my issue, but I thought it worth reporting about this Service Mode option.

To enter Service Mode, power down the printer, then hold down MENU RIGHT, and PAPER DOWN, and OK, and then power it up, and then let it go thru some paces, and then choose MENU.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »

Actually I see this as an indication of a problem.  Which kind of makes sense.  I think if more people KNEW they needed them, they would order them, and replace them regularly - which could possibly lead to less people having frustrating, time and money wasting clogging issues which actually get worse sometimes with cleanings.  But they don't know they need them, like my friend Dan who I got this 7900 from, so they don't order/replace them - which is likely why none of the US distributors stock them.  You see the condition of the wiper on this 7900 I got from Dan.  And Dan knows printing.  He has a 9900 as well.  He takes care of his equipment too.  Trust me I can tell from the condition of this 7900 I bought from him.  But his wiper cleaner assembly was completely shot.  My bet is, Dan had no idea it was shot.  My next bet is, Dan is likely checking the wiper cleaner assembly on his 9900 right now.  My third bet is Dan will order a wiper cleaner assembly today, even if his 9900 doesn't need one.  How do I know this?  Dan is also a carpenter - we all think alike..

Yes we do think alike. I have not checked this one yet but it is now on my mind.
If the ones you have will fit my 9900 I will buy one. Let me know.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:09:06 pm by Dan Berg »

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2012, 04:57:51 pm »

Yes we do think alike. I have not checked this one yet but it is now on my mind.
If the ones you have will fit my 9900 I will take one. Let me know.

I bought one of the four extras with you in mind, Dan.  I'm confident it's the same part but I'll cehck for you.  In fact the 7900 & 9900 seem to share a lot of the same parts.

multigary

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2012, 05:35:56 pm »

Hi Eric,
I have only been a silent observer of your journey through the inner world of the 7900 printer, but I would like to say "thank you" for having the patience and fortitude to figure this problem out.  All of us 7900 owners will benefit greatly 
as a result of your efforts, and you deserve to be commended!
If you still have a wiper blade available, I'd like to take you up on your offer and buy one from you. And I'm keeping my fingers crosse that your printer will be working flawlessly soon!
Thanks.     Gary 

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2012, 06:28:51 pm »

If the ones you have will fit my 9900 I will buy one. Let me know.

Confirmed, Dan.  The wiper cleaner assembly, part # 1504179, is the same for both machines - Epson 7900 and Epson 9900.  I'll put you down for wiper cleaner assembly #2 of my spare 4.

Jeff = #1
Dan = #2
Gary = #3
#4 is available or I'll keep it as a spare

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »

Well, I'd love to jump in for a wiper blade too!

I've been mesmerized by your description of the journey through the 7900 - thanks for keeping us all informed on your progress!

clic

• Jean-Christian Rostagni Official Site
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2012, 10:30:57 pm »

I appreciate all this great information. I am fighting clogs in a 7900 also, in the LLK.

I am writing an article for Photo Technique magazine on the reliability of the x900 printers with an emphasis on the clogging disease, typically with LLK, that some of these printers have.  "gwhitf" you seem to be one of those users, and I'd like to hear from you off line if you can spare a couple of emails.  That is true for all the others who feel that their machine has been affected as well by what I describe.

You will find ways to contact me on this page: http://jean-christian.net/about/page5/page5.html

Eric, I am one of your numerous fans, and I hope that your problem is not the one I am writing about.

Jean-Christian Rostagni

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2012, 11:57:50 pm »

Jean-Christian, thank you for the kind words.  

By now I am warming up to the reality that what initially drove me to share this journey of my genius buddy and mine, may actually come to fruition - people other than the two of us will benefit from our definitely bold, but possibly stupid, journey.  

Oddly, this is not the first bold but possibly stupid journey that we have undertaken together.  The first one landed us a hair shy of 11,000 feet with just half a water bottle between us.  If we survived that one, we will likely survive this one too.

... I hope

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:59:22 pm by Go394 »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2012, 02:45:59 am »

Is there any relation between the clogg frequency per channel and the order of channels wiped?  For example the LLK channel more often mentioned, is that one of the last or one of the first to be wiped?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2012, 03:23:39 am »

Is there any relation between the clogg frequency per channel and the order of channels wiped?  For example the LLK channel more often mentioned, is that one of the last or one of the first to be wiped?

That's an on-the-ball thought.

.. I like your thinking

*EDIT:  Looked at my images of the head from the back, before it came off.  Best I come up with is this.  Doesn't look like LLK is on either outer bank, right or left..

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:45:12 am by Go394 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 77   Go Up