Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 1092485 times)

mhakansson

Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out
« Reply #1380 on: April 29, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »

mhakansson - until your lines are clear of air pockets, your missing nozzle problems are most likely further up stream than your head.  Do you remember if there were air pockets in your lines before you replaced your head?  Gotta find the source of all that air.

No there were no air pockets before, as in the picture in service manual page 98 I wrapped some paper on the tube ends when I replaced the Damper(Selector). When I removed the paper to reassembly the tubes on the Damper unit It had sucked out quite a lot of ink to it so some lines where empty of ink 2-3" from the end.
When I did the powerclean and later initial fill the lines didn´t fill up at all, there were still empty lines.
What can be wrong?

highway0691

« Reply #1381 on: May 03, 2013, 10:45:03 am »

I'm in the process of replacing the head on my 7900 and this has only been possible via Eric's generous sharing of his knowledge. When I say I'm in the process I mean waiting... waiting... waiting for the head to arrive from some magical place where Epson store their mythical heads which takes 35+ days to get to me and that's good apparently as I personally know an Epson dealer who has also helped me.

Now 35 days of non-operation is an expensive wait. 35 days of not having prints ready to sell (that's how my business runs mostly) I find this very arrogant on Epsons part making loyal customers wait, I've been using Epson printers, ink and media for 10+ yrs. Should I need a new car part, a new blade for my framing guillotine, service to my Canon Cameras or a new computer part I wouldn't have any issue waiting a week or 10 days but 5 weeks?

Had I known this from day one of the breakdown I would've just bought the Canon 24 inch printer. I have done my homework on Canon and with the same problem I could have the same print head replacement problem sorted for less than half the price and changing print heads by users is not only plain common maintenance, it's about the same complexity as changing an ink cartridge. Also print heads are on shelves of dealers and most users keep a spare anyway.

So regrettably I've committed to the print head purchase as I paid (and found out about the 35+ day wait later) but as soonas I have a good enough excuse to jump Canon's way I will do with no hesitation. The final straw for me was personally viewing some prints from a Canon 24 inch printer - they're awesome!!

membrane

« Reply #1382 on: May 09, 2013, 03:29:26 pm »

Alan

THE PHOTOFLO  MIX
Remember your recommendations for the above

6 parts water
2 parts isopropyl
2 parts glycerol
1/2 part photoflo

What do you think of the photoflo concentration in my attempt as follows   ...ps.   .i am in no way going to hold you responsible for any destruction that i can manage...i am already set to install a new head ( its 250 dollars for the 7800 if i blow the current one to bits )

8 parts Epson Cleaning Solution for aqueous inks.....footnote #1
2 parts isopropyl  footnote #2
1/2 part photoflo
Warm rather than cold solution......

Footnotes
# 1.  Composition of Epson clean solution for aqueous inks is :
Dietheylene glycol.               < 45%
Proprietary organic materials 0- 5%
Glycerols.           About.            15 %
Water.                                      Balance

# 2. I read somewhere this week that bacterias love to eat glycols...you may be able to confirm that......anyway i thought i would then go back to your original recommendation to include isopropyl in the mix as i believe it likes to eat bacterias !    

Thanks for any advice you might offer and your help up to now as well

Matt

Where can you buy a new print head for a 7800 for $250?  I'm tired of fighting my 7800, I think it might be time to just change the head.

Thanks

worldburger

Great Thread, where/how does one fill the capping stations?
« Reply #1383 on: June 10, 2013, 01:27:28 am »

Wow, what a great thread.  Wish I had this a few years ago when I had to have the local repair guy come out to replace my original 7900 printhead.

I got through page 5.  Where are the capping stations?  They are invisible to my 4000 and 7600 trained eye.

I'm trying to find the capping station to put solution in it in an attempt to fix my clogged Green (blank thru many lines in a nozzle check printout)

Green looks like this:
--------------
--          ---

---
--------------

Also, anyone have a link to the service manual or can PM me a copy?

Cheers and thanks,
David

Blue moon

« Reply #1384 on: June 12, 2013, 08:39:40 am »

Where can you buy a new print head for a 7800 for $250?  I'm tired of fighting my 7800, I think it might be time to just change the head.

Thanks
Sorry not to get back to you earlier...
Unicomp.co.uk
If you live in the States....they will not post to you...
Ps its euros not dollars !
Thanks

hugowolf

« Reply #1385 on: June 12, 2013, 08:50:27 pm »

Sorry not to get back to you earlier...
Unicomp.co.uk
If you live in the States....they will not post to you...
Ps its euros not dollars !
Thanks
That would be 'mail', if you are in the States. I still have to correct the wife, who uses 'torch' for flashlight, much to the amusement of the locals. She is from the US but did her graduate work in the UK.  :)

Brian A
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:12:21 pm by hugowolf »

Blue moon

« Reply #1386 on: June 13, 2013, 04:51:05 am »

That would be 'mail', if you are in the States. I still have to correct the wife, who uses 'torch' for flashlight, much to the amusement of the locals. She is from the US but did her gradute work in the UK.  :)

Brian A
Thanks Brian
Will remember that when next i chat with my American mates

;D

plui

« Reply #1387 on: June 14, 2013, 06:06:08 pm »

Was about to start printing 60 inch again after almost a year of only printing at 24, 36 inch width.  Then I remembered Juggler's belt broke because too much tension (possibly from lack of use):

page 66 of this thread:
"So the warning here is release your head and slide it through it's range.  If it feels like butter you're alright.  If it doesn't, you need some lube.  Exactly what lube, and how much, is something we need to find out."

The procedure to release the 11880 print head is found on page 312 of the "Pro 11880 Field Repair Guide".  It slightly different process than the x900...
Here's a link to the field Repair Guide 16mb.pdf  http://hotfile.com/dl/118283068/7b918f2/pro11880fg.zip.html

DO NOT POWER OFF WHEN THE DISPLAY SAYS "POWER OFF"!!! OPEN THE 11880 FRONT COVER FIRST, THEN POWER OFF.

Once its shutdown and your 11880 door is open, you can manually slide the print head carriage along the rails to the far left and see if there is any noticeable resistance --mine was like butter, so I slid it back to the right , closed the door and powered up (with a new roll of 60 inch canvas).

Thanks again for the tips Eric, et al.

disneytoy

« Reply #1388 on: June 14, 2013, 08:45:10 pm »

I'm a fine artist and am getting close to purchasing a 7900 here in San Diego, CA. I'll primarily be printing Fine Art Rag paper, 24" rolls. What is the real world print time of say a 20x30" print? I'm trying to get an idea because we usually print 15-16 images from a 50' roll. Just want an idea of the time involved. If it makes any difference, I do all my printing out of lightroom.

Thanks.

also any 7900 or 9900 owners in San Diego area? Would be nice to know someone local.

Marc~

nairb

« Reply #1389 on: June 14, 2013, 11:16:10 pm »

I've just spent the last few minutes searching for postings/threads where someone mentioned they were potentially not going to be able to purchase a replacement 7900/9900 print head in Canada.

Does anyone know what happened with this? Are these replacement print heads available to purchase still (especially in Canada)?

I've recently come across a 9900 with a possibly clogged/faulty head that I could buy for potentially very little and perhaps try to repair. But if I can't get the parts....

Thanks

jferrari

« Reply #1390 on: June 15, 2013, 07:36:47 pm »

That would be 'mail', if you are in the States. I still have to correct the wife, who uses 'torch' for flashlight, much to the amusement of the locals. She is from the US but did her graduate work in the UK.  :)

Brian A
Right, that's why we get our mail from the Mail Office. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to push my frame into the lift so's I can hoover my flat. Oh no! I left Lorrie in the lorry! :D
Nothing changes until something changes.

hugowolf

« Reply #1391 on: June 15, 2013, 09:22:09 pm »

Right, that's why we get our mail from the Mail Office. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to push my frame into the lift so's I can hoover my flat. Oh no! I left Lorrie in the lorry! :D
It is getting a little off topic, but I will play; it is Saturady night:

There are arbitrary things, that have no significance, like the left/right driving and light switches working upside down. Then there are very strange differences, like those between bills and acts of congress and parliament. But surely the greatest difference is the act of tabling.

No one in Europe would have the space to even consider a table a form of storage. So I was extremely confused, when fresh off the boat three decades ago and trying to understand the US political system, to hear of proposals that where tabled, and seem to have been shelved. To table a motion, in English, would be to put it on the table for discussion, if it then went nowhere, it would be shelved.

Then there is the system of weights and measures in the US, which is invariably called English. And yet 20 ounces is a pint, not 16. One of my few lingering problems is when I order a pint and it comes in a glass that would only be 16 oz if filled to the brim and actually only holds 14 ounces*.

As Julia Child said (and perhaps she was quoting predecessors): a pint is a pound the world round, but only in America.

I could quote Wilde, but I’m sure you have heard it before. I am just glad I am a polyglot, I do both English and American – but, unfortunately, I am good at neither.

Brian A

*Told to me by a German friend, when discussing the markings on the side of the glass: In England, if the beer doesn’t come up to the pint measure etching on the side of the glass, after the head dies down a little, you take your glass back to the bar and you ask (and will be given) a top up – right up to or beyond the legal marking). Are ya, he said, if the beer wasn’t filled to the legal mark in Germany, the police would be around in three minutes and the bar closed down.

jferrari

« Reply #1392 on: June 15, 2013, 10:31:28 pm »

It is getting a little off topic, but I will play; it is Saturady night:
Off topic, perhaps, but I was running a few prints on my Epson while I posted. I had just taken all of my cartridges out for a shake and was subsequently presented with a clean nozzle check. Gonna be a good night, Tater.
Nothing changes until something changes.

worldburger

« Reply #1393 on: June 18, 2013, 01:47:59 pm »

Could someone please post a link to the 7900 service manual?
I'm unable to find it online...

worldburger

« Reply #1394 on: June 18, 2013, 01:57:59 pm »

How do you get the capping station to reveal itself on the 7900?

Rather I will tell you that the next thing the Epson manual, and anyone you call and ask advice from, suggests is to replace the "Capping Station".  Here we go again right - WTF is the capping station?   Here is the capping station:

Blue moon

« Reply #1395 on: June 19, 2013, 12:33:08 pm »

Actually

TO DISPROVE my agitation theories and consequent paranoia ,i will now do a 75 day test with 5 autos AND NO GENTLE PRINTER AGITATION during this test period ....with zero printing of course...the only factors left in the equation this time will be  TURN ON every day and epson k3 inks as usual....i should in theory come back with the same auto results (80% Autos clear first time or even 100% clear first time..) that would then indicate that autos without agitation is at least as efficient or more efficient than autos with agitation....
Will let you know auto results after each 15 day interval so  that the 75 days doesnt feel too long...

Hi Everyone
Finished my 75 day "DO NOT ROCK THE PRINTER ' test couple of months ago....been away a lot so did not get around to analysing results until now...
The last  15 day test on the "no- printer shake "cycle turned out poor.....making two of the 5 "shake free "exercises rejects as against only 1 minor reject when i was shaking the printer on its test period...so my verdict is that shaking the printer did not do any harm and non -shaking the printer did not do any good....
One of our contributors wisely pointed out that the dampers would pick up sediment before it got into the head. right on.....but if printers are left idle for a long time it may be that ink might coagulate from damper to nozzle.....just guessing.....also i wonder with you guys using 900's  if the 360 nozzle unit is a more refined filter system than its damper is able to filter out?  Also a lot of us have said that you cannot see sludge in the ink carts so there must not be a sludge...but maybe there is still a degree of separation of pigment that we dont really see with the human eye but which the refined piezo system regards as stale or sour or sludgy ink....and will not co-operate with us as a retaliation...in other words the printer maybe has to deal with inks that are degenerating from good quality back towards stickier ink quality...only Epson know this for sure.......
Back to my humble 7800....
 autos since the non shake testing has ended are also poor.....i may have made life difficult for myself doing this test in the first place....what i would say is that light users of their printer should occassionaly rock the printer but not the cartridges individually..heavier users are going through their inks faster and can forget this type of exercise imo...i have a few days of a window to go at photoflo and windex before heading off to Scottish Highlands and Bergen Norway with a camera under my arm.....poor me ....what a boring life !
funny thing is   there is an offer of 750 euros to trade in the 7800 against a canon 24 inch....Canon that does its own shaking...i must be mad in the head not to run with it.....what sort of hold has Epson got over me ?. off to Erics website now to make sure i dont mess up on the head removal

graphicjoe

« Reply #1396 on: June 23, 2013, 12:26:56 pm »

I just spoke to an Epson person. She was very good at going through the possible costs if I let Epson techs repair my 7900. The range of costs cited by the person that I spoke to was between $150 and $2000. I did not give my credit card number to this person as I did not want to give Epson a blank check to use in emptying my credit card account. As you can imagine, I am very interested in this thread and give much credit to the OP. I am usually able to repair problems of the kind described in this thread. Age and various injuries have caused my back to be in about the same shape as my 7900.

I generally respect copyrights. However, my respect for Epson has reached a nadir. Epson seems to be quite willing to take advantage of its customers, and I do not want to enrich Epson. I only wish that my 7900 was as reliable as my 7600. The 7600 had its share of problems, but they are as nothing compared to my 7900. Good luck to those of you who who get out their tools and start digging around inside of their 7800 printers.

Joe

Blue moon

« Reply #1397 on: June 23, 2013, 06:41:41 pm »

I just spoke to an Epson person. She was very good at going through the possible costs if I let Epson techs repair my 7900. The range of costs cited by the person that I spoke to was between $150 and $2000. I did not give my credit card number to this person as I did not want to give Epson a blank check to use in emptying my credit card account. As you can imagine, I am very interested in this thread and give much credit to the OP. I am usually able to repair problems of the kind described in this thread. Age and various injuries have caused my back to be in about the same shape as my 7900.

I generally respect copyrights. However, my respect for Epson has reached a nadir. Epson seems to be quite willing to take advantage of its customers, and I do not want to enrich Epson. I only wish that my 7900 was as reliable as my 7600. The 7600 had its share of problems, but they are as nothing compared to my 7900. Good luck to those of you who who get out their tools and start digging around inside of their 7800 printers.

Joe
Joe
thanks for encouragement and hopefully you will be back on track with your 900 soon....

yes Eric is amazing and has been a breath of fresh air to all us...

Matt

Blue moon

« Reply #1398 on: June 24, 2013, 06:21:45 pm »

Hi everyone
More failure....
PHOTOFLO 200
ISOPROPYL
EPSON CLEANING FLUID

ALL MIXED TOGETHER...NOT WORTH A CURSE IN TERMS OF UNBLOCKING A CLOGGED  NOZZLE !!

Alan thanks for helping with the compound advice ...appreciated...very rigourous test indeed...no damage done at least...

Will try a good dose of SIMPLY GREEN NEXT
IF THAT FAILS WILL GO ON TO ...
HOUSEHOLD AMMONIA AND ISOPROPYL MIxture

CALLING MY MATES IN THE STATES....WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE MAIL ME A VERY SMALL BOTTLE OF WINDEX...WILL REFUND WHATEVER COSTS ARE GLADLY....THAT WILL BE MY FINAL BASIC FLUSHOUT ATTEMPT...
So far I can only advise people not to waste good money on cleaning gimmicks....including Epson cleaning products....it may be that my bad three nozzles are electrical failures that could never be cleared  by any cleaning products....but I will see this exercise right through to the bitter end !!
KEEP YOUR WIPER BLADE CLEAN AND MOIST...YOUR PARK STATION THE SAME ...
DETERMINED MORE THAN EVER..
MATT

amc-photo

• AMC Photographics
« Reply #1399 on: June 25, 2013, 09:06:11 am »

Windex is just Windolene anywhere else in the world. I don't think it will fix a dead channel.

I own 10 Epson large format printers. 5x 7890 - 3x 9890 - 1x 11880 - 1x 7800

If you completely loose a channel and can't get it back with SSCL, colour pair cleaning, power cleans etc, you are unlikely to get it back without getting a new print-head installed.

Our 7890's have all been fine, the oldest one is nearly 3 years old and they are all in constant use in our busy LFP print shop. The 9890's are another story, all bought around 2.5 years ago. One is on it's third print head, fortunately the second one was fitted while still under warranty.  The first time the cyan channel went, the second time it was magenta. Another is on it's second print-head (cyan channel went). The third one is still going OK but I know it will most likely need a new print-head within the next year.

We also had a 9700 that was not able to be fixed as Epson had no print-heads in the UK. That one lost the cyan channel permanently. I gave it to our service engineers for spare parts.

I just had the third print-head fitted in one of them this morning and spoke to our service engineer asking him why the print-head always needs replacing every time we have totally lost a channel. He said that basically, the channel loose the ability to draw ink through. Doing cleaning pushes (or sucks) the ink through at more pressure than when printing. So although you may get a a few nozzles printing after doing intense cleaning, it is unlikely to fire those nozzles during normal printing. He said he didn't know why this happens, it just does and always with these *900 and *890 machines.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 77   Go Up