Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time slice  (Read 3172 times)

churly

Time slice
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »

I have a bit of a fascination with moving water and the associated controlled chaos.  Every slice of time is different.

Chuck Hurich

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Time slice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:18:20 pm »

What's up with that magenta cast? Your favorite?

churly

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »

Slobodon - As I've pointed out before I am red-green color blind and have a hard time seeing the color cast.  I'm trying to figure out how I am introducing it in the conversion and I appreciate that it has been pointed out, otherwise I would probably never know. So to answer your rather caustic question - yes, I guess it is my favorite but I obviously don't see the world the same way as you.
Chuck Hurich

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:46:16 pm »

Did not mean to be caustic... it was an open-ended question. People tend to have a favorite tint... mine is my own version of sepia, or warm-tone black and white... sometimes, though very rarely in my case, a bluish tint, or Selenium Tone in LR presets (and that is the one I suggested for your previous post... though it also turned magenta... now I understand why).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:42:15 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:52:19 am »

I like the relatively and unexpectedly sharp texture of the flowing water.
Scott

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:09:40 am »

Very nice image. As another R-G defective, I didn't notice the magenta cast until Slobodan pointed it out. Are you toning it some after converting to B&W?

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 02:30:13 pm »

If I'm not mistaken you've probably toned it the same as the image with the ice on the water in your previous post. Once there is a tone it it, there will be a chance of a colour shift when uploading it to the web. The other toned image had a magenta colour cast also. I proof the images in CS5 before uploading them and tweeking the colors but if you are color blind that probably isn't possible (which must be a right pain for you)

Your image on your computer probably looks perfectly fine. :) Maybe worth considering if you do decide to get into toning images is to use Nik software's color efex pro. There is a really cool tool for toning, whether it be sepia, Selenium or whatever. It handles the toning very well and you'll know it will be as you want it. It's a great bit of software with loads of other cool tools too.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 03:06:32 pm »

I quite like it (apart from the cast!) but for me, the rock doesn't stand out enough. I have to look hard to see it, and its solidity versus the flow (slow or fast) of the water seems to me the purpose of the image.

Jeremy

churly

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 05:44:42 pm »

Slobodan - my sincere apologies and thanks for pointing the cast out.

I haven't had time to sort through what is causing the cast but am looking forward to doing so.

Eric - nice to id another one of the 5% here a lula.  I am interested to hear that you have dealt with the same issue.

Cheers,
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 08:55:23 am »

Colour cast aside...its not doing an awful lot for me iam afraid, there is little separation of tones or tonal range, a close up of water running by a rock would have to offer something of interest/unusual for me, if your currently interested in this sort of thing iam sure it tells a story/has a message for yourself?
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

francois

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 03:18:01 am »

I also have a slight problem with this image. My eyes either stay in the lower part of the image (the flow part) or go up around the upper part with the rock.
Francois

churly

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 05:51:24 pm »

I don't think this image merits more discussion - besides the tint issue it, is flawed in that there is no resting place or focal point as pointed out by Jeremy and Francois.  But folks did take the time to comment, which is much appreciated, so I want to explain the concept with the hopes that someone might have some suggestions on how to get there.  I have a professional and personal interest in complexity, non-linear dynamics and heterogeneous systems.  What I was trying to get to in this image is the idea that with the exception of the rock, everything in the image is in motion and the motion is totally heterogeneous.  The thing that fascinates me is the range of patterns and details of the motion in all of the individual domains. That is what I was trying to capture.  Conveniently the bubbles in the water provide nice tracers to track the motion. 

Anyway, I posted the image because I find the details of the image interesting (they make up the narrative) but I agree it doesn't transmit or invite you to explore the details and in fact ends up looking like uncomfortable chaos. 

So, I welcome any thoughts about how one might construct such an image to provide a comfortable path into the details and to encourage the viewer to explore the details.

Cheers,
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 06:06:45 pm »

I am red-green color blind and have a hard time seeing the color cast.

I recommend this book on color correction if you really want to know how to "see" the color in your images. While a large portion of the book is about fixing/repairing images, the methods used and the methods of utilizing the info panel to measure local and global changes in an image will last a lifetime.
~ CB

churly

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:01 pm »

Chris - thanks much for the recommendation.  I have it on order.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich
Pages: [1]   Go Up