Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom / IQ180 color problems  (Read 2552 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Lightroom / IQ180 color problems
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:22:05 am »

When using Lightroom to work with my IQ180 files, almost all of my images appear much differently in the library panel or the filmstrip than they should once I have done any adjustments to them.  Mostly it seems they have a consistent over saturation and magenta/red tint. If I step back through the history, at no point in time did the image every look like what I end up seeing in the library module or on the filmstrip, so it don't seem to be preview file problem.

If I select an image in the develop module, Lightroom 3 shows me a loading screen and then it will render the correct image.  The filmstrip preview will then be corrected as well.  If I move to another image and back, the color is again incorrect, and again it will "load".  Lightroom 4 is very similar, except I don't get the "loading" message ... it appears nothing is happening but then several seconds later the image will change to the correct rendering.

I've tried all kinds of things, even going to the point of discarding the preview file and forcing previews to be rebuilt.  It seems it only happens to images where I change the white point/color, but I haven't fully tested this to verify it and as I mentioned, at no time in the history is the white point/color anything close to what is displayed in the Library module.

I've tried a few other things, but nothing I do gives me correct previews in the library module or filmstrip.  any thoughts would be appreciated.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: Lightroom / IQ180 color problems
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:13:52 am »

Wayne,
Same thing here!  Except for me it is a small percentage. I keep thinking there must be some adjustment that is common to those files that exhibit this behavior, but I can't figure it out.

Dave

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:19:49 am »

You are right; it is associated with setting the white balance.  I guess the reason why I said it is only a few for me is because most of mine are tiffs converted over from C1. 

Even the histogram shows a strong magenta shift until you force it to create the working view, i.e. either zoom in Loupe mode or go to Develop.  At that point both the image and the histogram correct themselves.  I even have a situation now where I zoomed into an image, the view and histogram corrected, but now when I click on that image in Grid, it looks ok but the histogram has the magenta shift.  See below.  Image 156 is selected.  Note the histogram is way off compared to the image.  Before I forced the "working preview" the image color looked similar to the one in the bottom right (#164).

This screenshot is from LR4b, but LR3 does the same thing.

Dave

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:06:20 am »

Another IQ180 user has also contacted me about this issue.  I'm now trying to investigate and see what the problem is (obviously it's in the Library preview rendering, but I don't know why yet).

Wayne and dchew, would you be so kind as to send me at least 1 IQ180 raw test file?  If you prefer, you can contact me offline at madmanchan2000@yahoo.com.

Thanks.
Eric Chan

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:52:59 am »

Eric,
You bet.  Traveling today but I will get it to you either tomorrow or over the weekend.

Dave

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »

Thanks to Wayne, Dave, and others who contributed test files.  These helped enormously.  I have now tracked down the issue and it will be fixed in the next Lr release.  Thanks again.
Eric Chan

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:52:38 pm »

thank you  thank you thank you

you are awesome :)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:01:20 pm »

you are awesome :)

Careful Wayne, you're gonna give Eric a big head...
(well, if Eric had that tendency, which he doesn't :~)

cbjuland

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 09:18:13 pm »

Is there anything that can be done now within LR3 or Bridge CS5 to deal with this problem, or is switching to Capture One the only current solution?

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 08:48:45 pm »

Keep in mind this problem only appears in the Grid view.  It "fixes" itself in the Develop module, and also in Loupe mode if you zoom to force a new rendered view.  While I agree it is annoying, I wouldn't say it warrants changing your workflow, whatever that may be.  Especially since Eric's statement about it being fixed in the next LR3 update.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up