Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you were purchasing a new MFD camera today, which would you choose?  (Read 22925 times)

Anthony R

Re: If you were purchasing a new MFD camera today, which would you choose?
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2012, 08:28:56 pm »

Thanks again everyone. Now I'm really torn on the H4D..

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2012, 03:45:56 am »

my contax with a p65+ on it is the best system I've used. Ive had two attempts at liking an H1/2 phase kit, and I just don't like it. The lenses render unusually, and it seems very plastic and unbalanced (with a zoom). even though i have had many years with the H1 i would still struggle with the menus.
the contax is completely intuitive, everything is where its suppose to be. real dials, dedicated single purpose buttons and leavers. its amazing how design has gone backwards with the new cameras the last few years.

the contax with a full frame back shooting a frame a sec (or almost twice that with sensor plus), fast lenses and a battery grip the contax is hard to fault for me.
if only i could justify a IQ 160 i would be in heaven. it costs the price of a decent used car to upgrade to the nice IQ nice screen, but really , when i use the contax its in a full production setup and everything is tethered and the theres an iPad setup right beside me.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2012, 04:15:42 am »

my contax with a p65+ on it is the best system I've used. Ive had two attempts at liking an H1/2 phase kit, and I just don't like it. The lenses render unusually, and it seems very plastic and unbalanced (with a zoom). even though i have had many years with the H1 i would still struggle with the menus.
the contax is completely intuitive, everything is where its suppose to be. real dials, dedicated single purpose buttons and leavers. its amazing how design has gone backwards with the new cameras the last few years.

the contax with a full frame back shooting a frame a sec (or almost twice that with sensor plus), fast lenses and a battery grip the contax is hard to fault for me.
if only i could justify a IQ 160 i would be in heaven. it costs the price of a decent used car to upgrade to the nice IQ nice screen, but really , when i use the contax its in a full production setup and everything is tethered and the theres an iPad setup right beside me.

paul
+1 for the Contax, but the OP requires a New camera... Rrgards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2012, 10:28:15 am »

I've been using Phase One for a few years now, first the AF and now the DF. Phase One/Mamiya bodies are perfectly acceptable, they do the job, but they're just difficult to love in the way that the Hasselblad V or Contax 645 could steal your heart and make you forgive any shortcomings. With Phase One/Mamiya bodies the shortcomings just keep niggling away at you.

The Phase One dealers keep gossiping that an entirely new body is coming. So maybe they'll improve that so-so focusing screen and the plasticky feel, but I guess there's nothing they can do about the "screwdriver" AF.

I also use a Linhof M679cs. It's magnificently engineered, but IMO technical cameras and digital backs will remain an unhappy marriage until proper live view comes along. Then again, those same gossipy Phase One dealers say the IQ180 is the last of it's type before Phase One switches to CMOS, if so that'll probably fix the live view problem.

The real bottom line is that we're still some way from the "end of history" with MF digital, so no matter what the dream outfit is today there's every chance it'll soon be something else tomorrow!

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:56 am »

+1 for the Contax, but the OP requires a New camera... Rrgards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

why do people have to buy new cameras? especially when the new cameras don't offer hardly any more?
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:23 am »

Yeah, some old cameras are still way ahead of some of the new ones.  The contax you like is one of them, but also Rollei 6008AF is now pretty old but still offers a lot.  What about the Fuji 680?  There's a neat camera you can't even get now.   But the Hy6 is a big advancement over the 6008AF and  the H bodies have continued to evolve.   Curious to see if Phase/Leaf/Mamiya bring out something really new this time or not.
Rolleiflex USA

bcooter

why do people have to buy new cameras? especially when the new cameras don't offer hardly any more?

Before I say anything, I'd suggest buying the system I like more than just need.  You can make almost any high end camera do what you want, but if you don't enjoy it, it doesn't make you happy, or like they say with cars, if you don't turn in the parking lot and take a second look at it, then I'd keep looking.

The problem with a lot of cameras, especially, some of the older ones is the ability to find someone that has them all where you can test them in the way you work, or want to work.

That being said, I pretty much agree with Paul on "why new" in some instances.

I'm not a luddite and have been doing digital for a long period and don't long for times past,  but with learning 10 camera menus, probably 50 programs, It may or may not have improved my photography, though it has positively eaten into a good 35% of my life.

It's funny, i've shot about a trillion images with the Canon's and Nikons and unless I use them for 2 days I still have to pause and think, oh yea that little wrench means __________.  Each new model is just different enough to be a little less intuitive.

I can go months and not touch the Contax(s) but pick them up and start shooting in a minute.

Back on topic.

If you do consider a Contax be aware that the viewfinder with a prism is rather small, (kind of like the Mamiya) but if your shooting horizontal with a waist level finder it's quite large.  Also the cameras never break on their own (at least my 4 haven't) but it's easy to break a few things, like always cover the rear curtain for the shutter or some assistant will stick a thumb through it and never travel with the prism on or pick the camera up by the prism because the little clips that hold it on will fracture and you won't get a decent connection and once you put a digital back on the camera, like all things digital everything must connect.

That's the downside, the upside is the lenses are brutal sharp, fast and the camera and lenses and inexpensive.    You can buy backups cheap and if you look around you can find repairs when needed.

The only other downside is there is no fast 110 autofocus, like the H series.   110 to 120 is a sweat spot for a lot of our work and the macro works fine, but you have to manually focus and that's a skill set that is getting lost.

Also there are no leaf shutter lenses, but since 95% of our work is now with HMI's or fast strobes, the ability to sync fast doesn't concern me that much.

None of that matters to me because I like them, you'll find others with the same opinions of Rollei's, v series blads, RZ's and Fuji 680's.    Along with Contax, these seem to be cameras people enjoy as cameras.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:18:51 am by bcooter »

drevil

hands down, contax 645 + p1

i chose the contax because of some amazing work a friend is doing with film only. still i need to get to his level though!
later i got the p1  p45+, its just a killer combo with some very very sharp lenses and nice bokeh rendering.

Graham Welland

Personally I'd wait and see what Photokina has to offer. It might be nothing but who knows there might be enough of a game changer announced that would change what's the 'best' MFD camera or perhaps make what is currently available more affordable/available used.

Personally I'm vested with Phase One DF & Alpa STC with an IQ160/P25+ and a backup Aptus 65 but I very, very, VERY nearly sold up to go to the Leica S2 system because of the glass. Leica might be one of the vendors who'll have something new - I stress MIGHT. The one thing I have found over the years is that with MFD the glass is the most important thing.
Graham

FredBGG

If you were purchasing a new MFD camera today, which would you choose?

A Fuji gx680, a film back and a scanner.... even an Epson V750 would do.

Big clear viewfinder either prism or waist level rotating backs for shooting vertical and 50mm to 500mm lenses all with tilt and shift, as well as extremely close focus.

But the main reason is image quality that goes beyond manipulation in post with the output of a sensor.

MFD just has too small of a sensor for it to be worth the bother considering just how damn good the D800 is.

If I want the look of a larger capture area I'll skip MFD and go to a 6x8 negative and a scanner.

That is my idea of digital medium format. An SLR that is a close as I can get to my 8x10 camera.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net

I also have the SINAR Hy6 with the emotion 75LV.  What back are you using; I'm thinking about the new LEAF Aptus II 12,
wondering about how to connect to Hy6, since many of the pre-owed are the wrong fitting for the Hy6.

Jerry Reed

Gigi

• some work

get the AFI 12. Its configured for the Hy6.
Geoff

yaya

• http://yayapro.com

Geoffrey is correct, the back has to be an AFi-II back. You cannot mount a "normal" Aptus-II 12 on a Hy6
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

jackmacd

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2012, 11:09:14 pm »

I see you shoot hair.
That would suggest you are shooting strobes?

Since you are starting from scratch, I assume you have no legacy lens problems?

I then would try all the options, but unless I missed it, no one has suggested Leica S2?
Once they finally get CS lenses, I would find a 1/1000 sec synch attractive, and I like that their batteries last forever.

Given the cost of any MFD system, I would be prudent to rent all they systems and see which one you like to use. All give great results.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2012, 07:55:45 pm »

Yes I agree with the Leica S2. It is a game changer in "little" MFs world (not the D800, really, you can forget). It is a game changer because it is smaller than a D3x/D4, rugged (very, even splash proof) and the viewfinder is awesomely spectacular. It is a system but absolutely not closed like hassie or PO (sorry guys I know there is some aficionados over here), because of the files. You export in DNG file format directly in LR (given with the camera). The DNG is the universal RAW file, made by adobe for adobe apps.

You also have the choice. Leica lenses are ... leica lenses :) Perfect or close to be. With the H - adapter you can fully control Hassie lenses too  :o

I'd go for S2 + one spare battery + APO MACRO SUMMARIT-S 120 mm f/2.5 (and mabe the 35 mm) Unfortunately I bought a BmW and it is useful too  :P But sure when money flaw again the S2 (or S3) will land in my studio.

But, as NB already said, try and test it. Test the systems and choose the one who fit correctly in your hands and, most important, in your feelings.

Only you can have the final word and we are just the little demons, teasing you on your shoulder ;)
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up