Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for lighter weight Fine Art paper similar to Silver Rag Museo or EEF  (Read 1881 times)

museumbrich4d

I love Crane Silver Rag Museo and even Epson Exhibition Fiber. But I have so much trouble loading the paper on my Epson 3800 that I am looking for the same type of surface but with less weight. I only have problems loading the heavier paper. No problems loading luster, glossy or enhanced matte. Only the fine art papers are giving me hell.
Can someone suggest a fine art paper with less weight that uses PhotoBlack?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

You might try cleaning the rollers of your printer to see if that improves things.  I have a 3880 and have never had a problem with Silver Rag (printed some images on it just yesterday; 13x19)

museumbrich4d

It mostly has to do with the curling but I just can't get the heavier paper to feed correctly through the 3800 and I have tried all the feeds. Just too many misfeeds and it drives me nuts.

Alan Goldhammer

It mostly has to do with the curling but I just can't get the heavier paper to feed correctly through the 3800 and I have tried all the feeds. Just too many misfeeds and it drives me nuts.
It's been my experience that Museo papers are the flattest around and stay that way after months of storage (Hahnemuhle papers are the worst in this regard).  You should visibly see the curl if in fact that's the problem and you and gently roll the paper against the curl to straighten it out.  That might be worth a try.  If you really want straight paper, try Ilford Gold Fiber Silk.  I have never seen it curl and I do a lot of printing on 13x19.

Hope this helps.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

I originally posted a recommendation for Canson Rag Photographique 210, but then zapped it because it was not photo black.  But what the heck, it makes very rich images on matte paper only 1 mil thicker than Enhanced Matte, and I am sure it would cause no problems from curl.  It's the thinnest paper I know that makes rich looking prints, of an artistic bent rather than the in-your-face RC way.  Comes in all the standard sheet sizes, also rolls.

museumbrich4d

bill t.: Thanks for the post even with it being MK. I will take a look at that paper. I have become too frustrated with the other papers.
Do you use the Canson profiles for Canson Rag Photographique 210 or did you get a custom profile. Other posts are not favorable on Canson profiles.
Thanks again for the info>

Alan Goldhammer

bill t.: Thanks for the post even with it being MK. I will take a look at that paper. I have become too frustrated with the other papers.
Do you use the Canson profiles for Canson Rag Photographique 210 or did you get a custom profile. Other posts are not favorable on Canson profiles.
Thanks again for the info>
I've tested the Canson profiles for Plantine Rag and Rag Photographique (Epson 3880) and they are not bad.  My own profiles were a little better in some regions and those are what I use.  
Alan

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

I don't use Rag 210 very much, but the Canson 8300 profiles seem fine, no dramatic improvements over mine although my profiles do seem to produce better deep shadow detail.  That might be because I favor moderate inloads whereas the Canson profiles tend to lay ink down much thicker in the dark areas.  The Canson profile probably gives a better d-max than mine, but mine have better separation in the darks.  According to me.

But look, don't want to mislead, it's still a matte paper, OK?  Although under glass you could hardly tell.  And it also comes in a 310 weight that might be a lot more curly, so just take note.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:03:12 pm by bill t. »
Pages: [1]   Go Up