Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom to Bridge - opening files  (Read 6722 times)

BertWaife

Lightroom to Bridge - opening files
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:38:48 am »

I want to open a lightroom picture in Bridge.  I found that Bridge has the web functionality creation tool that is suitable for my needs.  When I export them in Bridge it sizes them properly for me and creates sub folders that makes it  easier to deal with.  But I want the added flexibility of going from the 'library' view of LR and be able to move the file straight to bridge and then keep adding files that way.
Drap and drop doesnt seem to work.?
thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom to Bridge - opening files
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:44:59 am »

A lot of Lightroom users barely bother with Bridge any more - just for file types that Lightroom can't import. Lightroom has Web functionality that is similar to but better than Bridge.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:56:06 am »

Lightroom is not designed to "talk" to Bridge as LR completely replaces Bridge. Except for pgn files, anything you can do with photographs in Bridge, you can do more smoothly and efficiently in LR including what you've described. Here is a possible workflow that might help out...

• In LR, select the photos you would normally want for the "web functionality creation tool" you describe for Bridge;
  • Click on "Export";
  • In Export, you can set the filename, size, resolution, compression, sharpening,watermark, metadata, etc., etc. You can even specify which folder you want the images to be saved to or leave it as "Choose folder later";
  • Aside... with a plugin like LR/Mogrify, you can even add borders, text and a watermark (e.g. below);
  • More importantly, though, once you have the exact settings you want, you can save them as an Export Preset (see "Add" on the left of the Export dialogue box). If you need to update the settings at a later date, simply right-click on the Preset and choose "Update with current settings";
  • With a Preset made, you can simply select the images in Grid view of Library, right-click on one of them and, in the contextual menu that pops up, click on "Export" and choose the Preset you've made.
Once the Preset is made, your workflow becomes, essentially, one-step or one-click, which is what Lightroom was designed for.

Of course, there is also the Web gallery module, but I'm sure you've already explored it.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BertWaife

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:29 am »

Staying in LR would be better.  I am trying these suggestions.  I created a smart collection for the files that I want to batch export.  If I color label these files 'purple', how do I use that to have them automatically added to the smart collection?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:16 am »

I created a smart collection for the files that I want to batch export.  If I color label these files 'purple', how do I use that to have them automatically added to the smart collection?

Color Label is purple...
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

BertWaife

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 02:15:04 pm »

I want these files to be copy's of the file that is in the Library and in this collection I create I want them to be exported and re named, re sized.  How do the 'purple' label files show up in the smart collection?  I have tried a few and they are not automatically showing in the collection?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:40:39 pm »

If you create the smart collection, using the criteria Andrew described, images marked with the purple label will automatically appear in it. Are you confident you know the difference between smart and dumb collections? I'd also suggest you take a collection now, before making your real selection, then go straight to Web and output a gallery onto your desktop, just so you see the full process. Once you've done a dummy run, it'll all be more obvious.

BertWaife

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 03:08:50 pm »

I guess I am missing something, because I am right clicking on a file, highlighting label, purple.  I am getting a purple outline around the photo, but they are not showing up in the smart collection I created.
any walk through of the steps would be appreciated.
thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:20:55 pm »

The purple outline indicates you've got that bit working. So create a new smart collection - in the Collections panel, click the + and smart collection will be an option.

In the criteria area, Label Color / Is / Purple.

That's it.

John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 03:24:56 pm »

And answer this - are you confident you know the difference between smart and "dumb" collections? If purple-marked images aren't showing up, it may be because you have a regular or "dumb", not a smart collection as you think.

BertWaife

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:40:35 pm »

ok, I was only able to do it in a collection that was defalut with LR.  The smart collection I created doesn't have the 'edit collection..' when I right click.
I thought I was using 'smart' when I created collection.  I will review, but I am sure I did use smart, and not 'none'.
thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up