Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoot me (three images)  (Read 4229 times)

michswiss

Shoot me (three images)
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:10:12 am »

I know I suck at landscape but who cares.  Here are a few countryside images that kept me as close to urban as I could at the time.  I've stuck to colour as, well, I'm not after an ideal. Rather that walk in the rain.

1)

2)

3)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:19:23 am by michswiss »

degrub

Re: Shoot me (three images)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:15:29 am »

i really like the cascade of trees to the vanishing point in the third image. Well done composition !

Frank

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:26:13 am »

Number two for me please- I like the "intimacy" of it. I wish we could've seen a bit more of the house though.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:10:24 am »

Jennifer, You don't "suck" at landscape. All three are very well done. I'm with Frank. I like all three, but the compositon in #3 is exceptional. The trees and the slope of the hill make a triangle pointing toward the distant fence,  a repetition of the first two fences. I think it's very good work. I'd like to hear what Chuck K, our landscape expert in residence, has to say. Bet he'll agree with me.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

francois

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:23:06 am »

#3 winds hands down for me. The rythmic repetition of trees and fences is wonderful.
The other images don't' suck at all but I prefer #2 to #1.
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:03:32 pm »

Hi michswiss,

1 and 2 are OK, but the skies in both are rather too blown out for my liking, but compositionally I find #2 works a little better than #1, as the road leads the eye through the scene, although it does then take the eye out of the scene, but none the less it takes the viewer on a journey.

#3 is a much better image than the other two, both compositionally - with the repeating and diminishing theme of the trees, and with the sky retaining some colour, although there is quite a bit of a halo around the tree branches on the first two trees, where perhaps you have been dodging a little too enthusiastically, but you could easily cure this by selecting on colour range in the sky, then switch to the clone tool to put some colour back into the sky around the tree branches, without cloning over the branches themselves.

And finally and for what it is worth, the old guy who seemed to know everything that sat in the back corner of the club I used to go to and throw out pearls of wisdom to all us newbie’s, said "fences, walls and barriers etc, that cut across the foreground of the image, stop you progressing satisfactorily through the image", but I don't find the fence(s) too much of a distraction here, does anyone else?

all the best

Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:12:00 pm »

Jennifer, You don't "suck" at landscape. All three are very well done. I'm with Frank. I like all three, but the compositon in #3 is exceptional. The trees and the slope of the hill make a triangle pointing toward the distant fence,  a repetition of the first two fences. I think it's very good work. I'd like to hear what Chuck K, our landscape expert in residence, has to say. Bet he'll agree with me.
Jennifer,

I agree with everything Russ says. These are nice and they all show some of the spunkiness of your city shots.
What I like especially about #3, for instance, is the fact that the trees have attitude and personality. If, for example, the nearest tree weren't leaning a bit to the right, as if in conversation with the next tree, the scene would be much less interesting.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

jalcocer

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 07:26:59 pm »

#2 is a nice picture, specially like all the combination of colors and the smoke coming out of the house, but #3 is more appealing to me, the greener of the grass and those trees make it really good

michswiss

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:33:07 am »

I think I'm beginning to understand how the halo's are showing up.  I'm very much a minimalist when it comes to PP.  Everything, with extreme exception, is done in AP.  Even then, it's not in PS.  I need to limit the use of mid-constrast enhancements on high values and learn some new stuff.

Still, if I allow myself to respond to my surroundings in the countryside in the same fashion as I do in urban setting I might find a voice on the land.  So to speak.  Interactions between the subjects, aware or not add to the dialogue.  I'll be working to turn this into people stuff over the next few years.  I just need to bake a few more brownies for the locals.

Next set has no counterpoint.  Just stuff.  Even less life.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:34:11 pm »

I think I'm beginning to understand how the halo's are showing up.  I'm very much a minimalist when it comes to PP.  Everything, with extreme exception, is done in AP.  Even then, it's not in PS.  I need to limit the use of mid-constrast enhancements on high values and learn some new stuff.

Still, if I allow myself to respond to my surroundings in the countryside in the same fashion as I do in urban setting I might find a voice on the land.  So to speak.  Interactions between the subjects, aware or not add to the dialogue.  I'll be working to turn this into people stuff over the next few years.  I just need to bake a few more brownies for the locals.

Next set has no counterpoint.  Just stuff.  Even less life.

All Armstrong needed was a single note...

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:35:01 pm by Rob C »

fredjeang

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:43:20 pm »

Number 3 has a post problem with the whites within the trees branch and the rest of the sky. It's too obvious and IMO needs a redo.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 01:39:59 pm »

Fred's right. Happily, it's an easy redo.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jalcocer

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 02:33:48 pm »

Fred and Russ are right about the redo, now that I look at it more closely. Can you tell me if that green of the grass is the real deal? it's so appealing

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »

Although I agree with the comments about nos 2 and 3, I rather like the first. It looks English (or Welsh): where did you take them?

Jeremy

fredjeang

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 05:09:17 pm »

Fred and Russ are right about the redo, now that I look at it more closely. Can you tell me if that green of the grass is the real deal? it's so appealing

I agree with Russ. The overall composition of #3 is very good. The trees alignement perspective is great, the grass tone, the horizon, the fences and how well all those combined etc...I like this image.

michswiss

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:56 am »

Here's a redo of #3.

Pages: [1]   Go Up