Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A simple portrait of Claire...  (Read 1963 times)

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
A simple portrait of Claire...
« on: January 24, 2012, 03:54:43 am »

Claire photographed early in the morning on her way to work.......for a B&W version have a look here http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/2012/01/philippolis-portrait-of-claire.html

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:24:21 am by ivan muller »

michswiss

Re: A simple portrait of Claire...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:55:59 am »

I think this is a really nice idea that just needed a little extra compositional work.  You stepping back three steps and her forward one.  Slightly higher for the camera position would be nice too. She should relax her left arm with the handbag just a little and take a slightly less passive stance.  Still, I like the honesty of the shot. Keep to colour this time.

The harsh take is that it's too two dimensional and the horizontal lines are distracting without separation.  The composition is too tight on the major elements.

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:44:23 pm »

To the contrary, I feel that the image is highly commendable and honest in a quite current way.

A portrait is not just about the posture and placement of the subject, it should also communicate something of who they are and what they feel.  It is great just as it is.  Far too often we are presented with images of people hidden behind layers of imposed cliché from the snapper.

Cheers,

Walter

Edit:  Having gone to the blog and looked I stick to my rule of thumb that colour is often extraneous information.  The Black & White speaks more strongly for me, although the strident colour of the wall and the drips on the pavement do make quite a statement,  My question whether that additional statement adds or detracts to Claire.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:52:36 pm by WalterEG »

jalcocer

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:22:32 am »

It's a nice picture, like the contrast, would like to see just a close up to the face with the blue background and maybe her one step away from the wall, but it is a good picture, the flower on the hair I think is a nice touch.

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 11:42:08 am »

Thanks all for replying...I  include the original pic as a reference. As you can see one step forward and she's down a step, which I don't think will work. Of course one can say crop tighter but I wanted a full body shot...And anyway even if there was space in front , I think I would have kept it as is, also the wall with the stripe was a peculiarity of the small towns.... Regarding Michswiss detail improvement suggestion...well ...these are my personal images and I like them to have flaws. I prefer the subject to choose his own 'posture' or 'pose' without much interference from me...now if this was a commercial pic for say a magazine , well then of course that's probably how I would shoot it...but with these I like to be hands off, this is not a fashion shoot or a corporate portrait, so if the sitter is a bit uncomfortable, that's fine by me, that's how he/she is in front of my camera. With these images I normally average about 6 exposure, with Claire I only did five, I try to keep it as short as possible. What attracted me was her size(lets be honest) and colourful clothes, I thought she was very beautiful yet she somehow lacked a bit of self confidence and yet she agreed that I could take her photograph..........and somehow the colour image works beter for me.....

Kerry L

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:20:04 pm »

Ivan,
This is a nice shot of Claire. She is relaxed and comfortable, she is herself and not posed. It's got a "classic" look about. After looking at the B&W on your site, you've made the right choice in staying with colour.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

WalterEG

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 04:42:16 pm »

Ivan,

I far prefer the uncropped image and in its full glory I do prefer the colour image.

It is refreshing to encounter another soul who thinks the same as me with regard to over-directing natural shots.

Cheers,

W
Pages: [1]   Go Up