Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling Triptych?  (Read 1201 times)

Johnny_Boy

Selling Triptych?
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:55:20 pm »

I am doing a bit of market research for my new art photo business. I just downloaded the Camera to Print & Screen 2011 and watched the Andrew Collett's segment where he showed a large triptych on his gallery.

My question - are you guys selling any triptych? Do people like that stuff?

I personally do not like them, as I think one gigantic print looks more impressive than three medium size prints that splices my picture up. However, I am also learning from experiences from folks like Bill T. and Alain Briot that what YOU think be the best seller or not is often wrong. So, just because I personally do not care for that format does not mean people feel the same.

thoughts?  

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Selling Triptych?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:01:46 pm »

In one instance, we did a triptych, cutting one image into three, to solve a problem in an installation (light switch).

Recently, is was a triptych that a customer wanted with interchangeable flat-mounted canvas panels that they could switch-out for the season. If the customer is willing to purchase the photo, I'm willing to listen to what they want and then sell it to them.

For my own work, I do a lot of pairing of images and then matching up multiple images that when installed, are basically diptychs and triptychs and sometimes printed on on panel of canvas or paper. Not all images will work this way, but the groupings that do and printed as a single piece look pretty nice on the wall.

Why not take an image that may work well, print either two or three panels and put it on the wall and see what you think and what your customer thinks.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
Re: Selling Triptych?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »

I sell a ton of smaller tryptichs. my average client purchases one to three large pieces and almost everyone who buys a large piece buys a trio. My best seller is a 5x7 trio framed into one frame. it's been a fabulous upsale. once a client has chosen their focal piece they can easily add a trio for their bedroom, bathroom or whatever - adds $300 to my typical order. I do all of these smaller scale pieces in a few standard frames with a 6ply museum mat and standard glass, my cost is between $60 and $89.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up