Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 HP Utility  (Read 1651 times)

hjsesq

Z3100 HP Utility
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:21:46 pm »

Had been bed ridden for some time and was unable to use my Z3100.  Now attempting to use and have been having problem with printer software so I uninstalled and then reinstalled Driver and Utility.  Presently unable to open Color Center as well as other apps in Utility.  Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Harris

Harris J Sklar

namartinnz

Re: Z3100 HP Utility
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »

Swtching  the printer off then on will get Color Centre working usually. Has happened to me in the past.

artobest

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:51:38 am »

I agree, switching the printer off and on at the back usually sorts out those annoying Color Centre problems.

hjsesq

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:57:12 am »

I have tried turning the printer off and on and have also re-booted the Mac but still nothing happens.  Any more suggestions?
Thanks,
Harris
Harris J Sklar

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:34:03 pm »

Be sure to power off the printer, wait a minute, and then power it back on (there is a switch by where the power cord is located on the back of the printer) and then wait for it to display “ready” at the LCD panel. My experience is that just using the power button in front doesn’t solve the problem in this kind of case.

Sometimes after doing the above, the printer is still non-responsive. In that case I’ll reboot the computer. That solves it 99% of the time.

Check that the IP address of the printer is what you expect it to be. With mine, the IP address is on the front LCD panel. Once you see it, ping that address. If the printer is on it should respond.

An alternative to above is to open a web browser and put in the address of the printer. In my case it’s on http://10.0.0.253 but in your case it will almost certainly be different.

If for some reason it doesn’t respond to any of the above, check that the network cable is connected properly. Remove and then re-seat the cable on both ends and listen for the click as the cable seats into the socket. Re-test after that. If it still doesn’t respond, try replacing the network cable.

hjsesq

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »

I tried all the things recommended by everyone but to no avail.  Called HP for support even tho warranty had expired (just 10 days before problem appeared) and for $39.00 was able to get service.  Was on the phone yesterday for 4 hours with a tech and when I told him I had to leave he said he would call me back today and asked what was the best time to call.  He called me today and finally got it all resolved.  Turned out it was a software problem which I had suggested to the tech initially but he insisted we go through a number of checks.  So after 6 fruitless hours for only $39 I am back in business.  Thanks for all the suggestions.
Harris
Harris J Sklar

Lorenz

• http://www.l-arts.de
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 05:37:09 pm »

Hi Harris,

what OS are you using? Any kind of Windows - then I have no solution.

Mac OS 10.6 or 10.7 – then read on :-). Have had exactly the same issue several times in the past (we have a couple Z-series printers around). The following instructions worked for us every time...

Please note - English is not my native language and some translations might be off a little :-)

1) open system settings
2) select printer & fax devices
3) find your z-series printer in the left section
4) right-click and select "reset print system" NOTE this will delete ALL printers (which you will need to reinstall later)
5) click on the "+" symbol and add your z-series printer using bonjour (!!!)

this will force the hp utility to talk to the printer "the hard way"...

6) now you will be able to use/start color center either directly or as an icon within hp utility

Had to use this little "instruction set" myself just yesterday to "reinstall" that missing "calibrate new media" icon that got lost over the last few days...

Cheers,

Lorenz

PS just for reference – find below the "official" germany version as I received it from hp

Sehr geehrter Herr,
die Lösung zu Ihrer Service Anfrage bezüglich der Erstellung von ICC Profilen lautet wie folgt:
Öffnen Sie die Systemsteuerung -> Drucker & Fax Geräte -> Linke Spalte Übersicht der installierten Drucker -> den DJ Z2100 mit rechter Maustaste anwählen und das Drucksystem zurücksetzen.
Dies löscht alle Drucker Treiber und temporäre Druckjobs !
Anschließend den HP Designjet Z2100 wieder hinzufügen -> Allgemein -> Verbindungsart "Bonjour "
Nun sollte im HP Printer Utility wieder die Funktion "Neue Druckeinstellungen für Medien" zur Verfügung stehen.
Mit "Erstellen" startet der Assistent zu Erzeugung eines ICC Profils.
Sollten Sie noch das "HP Easy Printer Care" verwenden, empfehlen wir, dieses zu entfernen.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Ihr HP Designjet Support

hjsesq

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:55:07 am »

Hi Lorenz,
Thanks for your help.   I do have Mac OS 10.6 but got the problem resolved with help from HP service for $39.00.  However I will make a copy of your suggestions so I can use them if this problem should arise in the future.  BTW, Have had the printer for over 3 years with the extended warranty which ran out about a week before I had this problem.  Seems like that happens with all the appliances we have under warranty - right after it expires there is a problem.  Could this be what is called  "planned obsolesce?

Again, many thanks,
Harris
Harris J Sklar

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:01:38 am »

Good to know it got worked out! You didn’t say originally that you are using a Mac.

>Could this be what is called  "planned obsolesce?

Since the product is not obsolete, but only not under warranty, the answer is "not exactly." But because computer equipment is in fact the state of the art in engineered or planned obsolesce…….
Pages: [1]   Go Up