Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GX680 back in high demand, I,II or III is the best buy?  (Read 14701 times)

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr

There seems to be a high demand for Fuji GX680 again. This can be easily explained: 1. Cameras and lenses are at "silly" costs for their superb quality 2. It is the only SLR with extensive Shift/Tilt/swift movements 3. It has been proved very reliable and there are plenty in superb condition, obviously because they are not used out of the studio much. 3. There is high compatibility with MFDBs, via inexpensive adapters. 4. It can provide high flash syncs for those that are using focal plane shutters on their other MF. 5. It can do multishooting (4x and 16x) with the right MFDB back and thus maximize the stills photographer's capabilities. 6 It can use 6x8 film if somebody pleases.
  However the prices of the 3rd version are more then 2 times more than the first two versions, with no real advantage to it (certainly none with a MFDB) and the 2nd version is sold higher than the first with no advantage whatsoever. The battery issue has long been solved and if somebody would consider film, surely he wouldn't shoot less than 6x8 for maximum quality and FOV retainment. Why do photographers pay much more for the later version if there is no benefit from buying it? The demand seems to rise, do you think that prices will rise? Is a stitching adapter for MFDBs to be expected from the Chinese? Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Peter Devos

Re: Fuji GX680 back in high demand, I,II or III is the best buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:39:50 pm »

I really hope that prices keep rising. I sill have a Mk1 body and a 180mm 5,6 and a 250 that are only catching dust these days :-)
Some people do not like to MC Gyver a 9 Volt battery adapter so they buy a Mk3 :-)

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:53:28 pm »

I really hope that prices keep rising. I sill have a Mk1 body and a 180mm 5,6 and a 250 that are only catching dust these days :-)
Some people do not like to MC Gyver a 9 Volt battery adapter so they buy a Mk3 :-)
Hi Peter, care to trade with my Sinar P2 that I have listed? (this is serious, send me a PM). The solution to the battery is much simpler: Cut the battery open, clean it inside and then wire 6 rechargeable NiCads into it! You may now glue back the top to the base of what was the original battery, but don't use a strong glue, you'll need to reopen it whenever the NiCads die again. The "new" battery will charge on your charger and if the NiCads are of 1500mA, you will have a battery that does better than the original for ....12Euros! Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Peter Devos

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:04:01 pm »

I would really love to do so..... if i also did not have a P2 with lenses next to my Fuji GX680 :-(

EinstStein

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:02:27 pm »

GX680 is an excellent platform for film. The large image size and the perspective control are very unique compared to other MF platforms. Be warned through, if you want to use it for digital.

Like other cameras without geared control, you need a very good skill for precise manipulation. It's very possible you don't.  You might find the focusing is never right. due to the lens design, you could also find unacceptable color shifting and light fall-off in the edge. Digital backs without micro-lenses could help. Of course, you can also use SW to correct it. But that's not the same if compared to the lenses designed for digital.

One thing for sure, you'll like it to be in you backpack. I can assue you it helps to build a strong back,

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:43:31 pm »

GX680 is an excellent platform for film. The large image size and the perspective control are very unique compared to other MF platforms. Be warned through, if you want to use it for digital.

Like other cameras without geared control, you need a very good skill for precise manipulation. It's very possible you don't.  You might find the focusing is never right. due to the lens design, you could also find unacceptable color shifting and light fall-off in the edge. Digital backs without micro-lenses could help. Of course, you can also use SW to correct it. But that's not the same if compared to the lenses designed for digital.

One thing for sure, you'll like it to be in you backpack. I can assue you it helps to build a strong back,
I use the GX 680 with three lenses (65, 125 & 210) for the last three months with my Contax 645 fit imacon 528c back on it, via a chinese adapter. It has replaced my Sinar P2 work in stills and the painting reproduction I was up to now doing with my Contax 645 and Zeiss 120 macro combination in microstep 16x. The focusing is dead accurate, the lenses are as sharp as the Contax-Zeiss 120mm f4 macro, there is no vignetting whatsoever (how could it be on a 37x49mm sensor  ???). Color shifting? :o The lenses are so neutral that they beat the Zeiss in painting repro, the profile down to the final print needs far less fine tuning now, with the Fuji on microstep you won't recognize the 1:1 size print on 390 canvas from the original oil on canvas painting, if you will stand only a yard away from both, no matter  the size of the original! Backpack?  :-\ What do I have the Contax (3 bodies) with all lenses but the 350 for?  :D Cheers, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

DeeJay

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:28:22 am »

I had the MK 1 version, 65mm, 135mm and 180mm lenses, backs, bellows, finders, extension rails for some years. Incredible camera and lenses. The only problem was the size which I found is far too limiting. I "downsized" to an RZ which looks like a dwarf in comparison.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:56:22 am »

I had the MK 1 version, 65mm, 135mm and 180mm lenses, backs, bellows, finders, extension rails for some years. Incredible camera and lenses. The only problem was the size which I found is far too limiting. I "downsized" to an RZ which looks like a dwarf in comparison.
I Agree! The Fuji IS NOT the solution for all MF photography, its rather a superb supplement for MF users to extend their creativity. Its biggest advantage is that somebody can keep his MFDB at his GP camera's fit (Mamiya AFD, Contax, HasV etc.) and add things like stills, bellows-macro, shift/tilt/swing, that would anyway require a tripod for... and all that at a cost that is absolutely silly for the solutions and photography aspects it will supplement. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
Pages: [1]   Go Up