Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter 2012  (Read 1134 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Winter 2012
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »

Winter here in southern Ontario arrived on Thursday, just in time for my Winter Workshop. By tomorrow, it will be gone again with highs of 9 degrees C and rain. Very depressing.

Here is a photograph from the workshop yesterday made just metres from the parking lot. A dramatic start to a beautiful day. We ended spending the first hour just in this area enjoying the changing light as the sun rose over the moraine.

I shot this and other scenes both as single images and as series for use in HDR. To my eyes, the single images processed in Lightroom came up looking more "natural" looking (more consistent with the way I visualized it) than did the HDR photo processed through PhotomatixPro. I'm not a big on HDR to begin with, so I'm not surprised. As it was, the contrast range was pretty much within the sensor range + highlight headroom.

To see more photos from the various participants, have a look at my blog: luxborealis.wordpress.com.

--Terry
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:02:57 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Kerry L

Re: Winter 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:16:24 pm »

I shot this and other scenes both as single images and as series for use in HDR. To my eyes, the single images processed in Lightroom came up looking more "natural" looking (more consistent with the way I visualized it) than did the HDR photo processed through PhotomatixPro. I'm not a big on HDR to begin with, so I'm not surprised. As it was, the contrast range was pretty much within the sensor range + highlight headroom.

Well done, good sky and texture in the white snow.

I'm not a fan of HDR processing. It seldom looks natural and is only worth trying when the image dynamic range is greater than the capabilities of the sensor. I'd rather sacrifice the shadows.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

jalcocer

Re: Winter 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:23:19 am »

I love the sky and really like the color on the grass that comes through the snow in the ground.
Pages: [1]   Go Up