Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Karoo landscape  (Read 3741 times)

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
Karoo landscape
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:11:35 am »

I made a three day 1600km journey to the Freestate in December last year. The idea was just to explore and make photographs. I found this scene one afternoon between Colesberg and Philippolis.....a quite typical afternoon thunderstorm brewing on the horizon.  More about my journey at http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Karoo landscape
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:05:23 am »

Years ago, I remember one of my photographs in juried show being criticized for being "too symmetrical", "too perfectly aligned". I realise that, compositionally, we are to avoid putting things in the centre of the frame, but you know what – sometimes symmetry and centrality work – this is one of those times.

Ivan, you've made a wonderful photograph that captures the essence of a hot afternoon in the Karoo. And if anyone thinks that this looks too much like some lonely road anywhere, I must disagree. This has the feel of Africa. Perhaps its the lack of a verge or the clarity of the air or the shapes of the hills or the type of tarmac or not any one thing but a combination of them.

Wonderful - thanks for sharing. It immediately takes me right back there.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:44:18 am »

you know what – sometimes symmetry and centrality work – this is one of those times.

+1.
Makes me want to get back in the hot car, feel the warm air roar through the windows, and get over to the storm.
Scott

Kerry L

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:25:25 pm »

Years ago, I remember one of my photographs in juried show being criticized for being "too symmetrical", "too perfectly aligned". I realise that, compositionally, we are to avoid putting things in the centre of the frame, but you know what – sometimes symmetry and centrality work – this is one of those times.

Ivan, you've made a wonderful photograph that captures the essence of a hot afternoon in the Karoo. And if anyone thinks that this looks too much like some lonely road anywhere, I must disagree. This has the feel of Africa. Perhaps its the lack of a verge or the clarity of the air or the shapes of the hills or the type of tarmac or not any one thing but a combination of them.

Wonderful - thanks for sharing. It immediately takes me right back there.

Sometimes breaking the rules is a good thing, like in this instance.

A while ago I shot some images of Lake Superior. Someone asked me why I placed the horizon in the middle. All I could think to say was " because that's where it is".
"Try and let your mind see more than you

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:58:40 am »

Really enjoyed the image.

I am originally from South Africa but now reside in Australia.
It does bring back memories.

Regards

Tony Jay

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:47:08 am »

Terry, thanks for a very thoughtful and eloquent comment, I appreciate it a lot....I must confess, that being the lazy photographer that I am, symmetry often happens in my images... :)

Tony, thanks! I often think the reason so many of us immigrate to Australia is because of the familiarity of the 'Blue gum' trees....

Scott, agree even if is only to get back into the air conditioned car...this specific day temperatures were 38degrees C...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:35:23 am by ivan muller »

jalcocer

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:20:08 am »

I love the clouds, and the loneliness of the road

feethea

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:08 am »

+1 from me. Striking image. Well done.

Barry

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:06:09 am »

Classic comp....i thought it was infra-red for a moment  the grasses by the sides of the road are so white/light...superb cloud formation...a timeless image well done.
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

francois

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 03:22:20 am »

It's a very nice image… Sometimes, symmetry and simplicity is so good!
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up