Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fill light and LR4 Beta  (Read 2031 times)

sriraja

• Fine Art Prints by Srini Raja
Fill light and LR4 Beta
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:43:08 pm »

I was a heavy user of fill light & blacks in LR3 and they helped to create a 'punch' in my images.

But with LR4, I am struggling to bring the same punch. I agree the whites, blacks, highlights and shadows help me set the ends easily, but I cant bring the magic I had in my work.

Is anybody else facing a similar problem like me?

Would really appreciate your ideas on how to adapt the FL/Blacks combo in LR4.

Thanks in advance.

Srini

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Fill light and LR4 Beta
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:53:46 pm »

Would really appreciate your ideas on how to adapt the FL/Blacks combo in LR4.

First off, quit trying to bring LR3 PV 2010 experience to LR4 Beta PV 2012. You need to learn hot to use the new controls from scratch...Shadows is not the same as Fill Light...it's much better. But...you really need to nail the other settings such as Exposure and Contrast and not rely on Fill Light to bring out the deeper shadows. So, try to nail the Exposure & Contrast before trying to use Shadows (or Highlights). Also, pop over to Parametric curves and adjust Shadows and Darks to fine tune.

sriraja

• Fine Art Prints by Srini Raja
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:00:08 pm »

Thanks Jeff. The new thinking has been helping a lot for a lot of photos, which were unusable with LR3.

But there is something about fill light, the way it attenuates the colors, I've not been able to do with exposure/contrast/curves.

Hopefully, I will figure it out as I use LR4 more.

schitti

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:02:20 am »

If this new features are so much better, why are they not implemented in Camera Raw ??

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:06:12 am »

If this new features are so much better, why are they not implemented in Camera Raw ??
They will be when camera RAW is updated. I don't think Adobe have ever released beta versions of ACR, so you'll have to wait until it's feature stable and released. At a guess, it will be one of the "compelling" reasons to upgrade to PS CS6 later this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up