Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Textures  (Read 6759 times)

churly

Textures
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:02:50 pm »

Quite at the other end of the spectrum from Josh's berg but another view of beauty in ice.

Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

Re: Textures
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:07:50 pm »

Very graceful. Subtle colours. Peaceful.
Scott

John R

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:00:19 pm »

Superb. There is beauty and interesting subject-matter everywhere, not just in grand landscapes.

JMR
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:04:25 pm by John R »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:24:00 am »

Beautiful. All the elements work: the graceful curve of the ice, its reflection, the reflection of the clouds, the colours.

Jeremy

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:16:01 pm »

Gorgeous - tactile and cold with a tension that is palpable.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:37:20 pm »

Dare I suggest a B&W version, perhaps tinted blue, to keep the sense of cold?

Kerry L

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 02:05:38 pm »

Well done, too often the small details are passed by.  I like the delicate cloud reflections in the water.

As Slobodan sugests B&W from the nearly monochrome would be interesting.

"Try and let your mind see more than you

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:09:24 pm »

Dare I suggest a B&W version, perhaps tinted blue, to keep the sense of cold?
Plainly you do! I'll wait until (if) churly posts a b&w, but I have to say that I'm sceptical. I think it benefits greatly from the subtle colours.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »

Plainly you do! I'll wait until (if) churly posts a b&w, but I have to say that I'm sceptical. I think it benefits greatly from the subtle colours.

Jeremy
I'm skeptical, too. The color works just fine for me (and I generally prefer B&W).

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:00:21 am »

I haven't seen the B&W, but I'd probably vote for it as is...

Mike.

P.S. Off topic and highly irrelevant, but the image reminded me of this: Sculpture in Motion
If your mind is attuned t

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:33:52 am »

It looks so delicate....I don't know what format you used to capture it with and the web can never do it justice, but this is the type of image I image one would haul out the old 8x10 for... :)

churly

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 06:49:50 pm »

Thanks everyone for all of the comments.

Ivan - just an APS-C so limited resolution.  Perhaps it was an advantage in this case because despite the the rather placid look, the wind was howling and my hands were entirely numb after standing out for only 45 minutes.

I did a B&W version with a bit of blue tint as per Slobodan's suggestion and ended up with a slightly bolder interpretation.  Personally I like the hint of color but it's a close call.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:31:44 pm by churly »
Chuck Hurich

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:05:49 am »

I did a B&W version with a bit of blue tint as per Slobodan's suggestion and ended up with a slightly bolder interpretation.  Personally I like the hint of color but it's a close call.
I'd definitely keep the colour.

Jeremy

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 11:02:58 am »

Churly, here we never get snow or ice so I have no idea what cold weather is like...! On my monitor it looks a bit magenta though.... but whatever you decide B&W or colour its still beautiful and well seen...

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 09:09:02 am »

I too prefer the colour version.

A niggle: the texture at the top seems a little soft. Is that intentional, or would you (if you could) make it sharp throughout? Just wondering.

Scott

feethea

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 11:31:03 am »

Colour version for me too. I think it works equally inverted, i.e flipped on its vertical axis, - the ice looks as a white swan/ bird in flight with its dark persona directly underneath.

Barry

churly

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 05:43:44 pm »

Ivan - I assume you are talking about the original having a magenta cast.  I don't see it but frankly I don't put too much stock in that as I am color deficient in red-green.  I find it pretty hard to get the white balance just right on these ice images because the ice takes on the color of everything around and it is hard to identify a neutral gray.  I shot this by setting the white balance with a Lally cap which some claim is a bit cool.  I don't think I have done anything else that would give it a cast.

Scott - this was shot at 195 mm at f9.5 (APS-C) which is pretty much the sweet spot.  The idea was to make the light part sharp.  When I processed it I had the same niggle as you.  The thing that really bugs me is that I would normally make another version with a smaller aperture but this is one of the last shots I took that day and as I said before is was cold enough that my hands were beyond numb.  I've got to get a better pair of gloves for shooting in the cold.

Barry - good idea!

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:02:46 pm by churly »
Chuck Hurich

churly

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 05:56:23 pm »

Ivan - after Slobodan's comment on a more recent posting, you were clearly talking about a cast in the B&W.  I'm trying to get this sorted out.  Thanks for alerting me.
Cheers.
Chuck Hurich

jojo1490

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 12:55:08 am »

It's very artistic and beautiful!!! Especially done in ICE!!! :) B&W also works, but I also prefer the colored version all the details just flow together...

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 09:50:04 am »

Churly,

I like your original color version best. But then, I'm also red-green color deficient, so what looks good to me (in color) may be off to people with normal vision.

After some good photographers mentioned to me that the skies in some of my landscapes were a bit too magenta (they looked blue to me), I adopted the following policy: If the scene is one that "ought" to look realistic, taken outdoors in daylight of any sort, I generally set the camera to "Daylight" color balance and choose "As shot" in Lightroom, and don't try to fiddle with the color sliders. On the other hand, if it is an abstract image, I will shamelessly play with the colors until I like them.

For monochromes, for a while I was printing using Epson's Advanced Black and White mode, with the tint sliders set to give what I thought was a reasonable approximation of the color of selenium-toned B&W wet darkroom prints, but recently some good photographers have complained that my prints looked "too purple" (of course they looks B&W to me), so I'm going back to straight black-and-white for my monochrome prints.

It's too bad you and I can't provide viewers with a special filter for them to look at our images through that will let them see the images they way you and I do.

Anyhow, I like your image. To me the color one works just fine. I suspect the black-and-white version would work just fine, too, if presented in pure neutral gray-scale.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up