Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 Speed  (Read 1952 times)

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
LR4 Speed
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:39:13 pm »

Hello

I have been having a look at LR4 with my last couple of sets of photos. I am liking the new features in the develop module but I have been finding that all adjustments are slow. By that I mean if I pull the shadows slider up there is significant lag before anythings changes on the image. After moving a couple of sliders the process becomes slower still. This is quite a contrast to LR3 where the changes are near instantaneous. Is anyone else finding the develop module slow?

I'm running OS X Lion on a 2011 15" MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM.

stormyboy

Re: LR4 Speed
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:41:56 pm »

Check here in the official Lightroom 4 beta forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/lightroom4?view=discussions

Tom

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:15:31 am »

Yes, it's painfully slow on all platforms at the moment. Hopefully once out of beta it will be optimised and faster, but bits are so, so slow I'm not convinced they'll be good even out of beta.
Given the "we'll use the latest OS versions" attitude, it's a shame LR4 isn't making any use of GPU power when so many of us have powerful graphics cards used by other Adobe software  idling away doing nothing.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:04:16 am »

Yes, it's painfully slow on all platforms at the moment. Hopefully once out of beta it will be optimised and faster, but bits are so, so slow I'm not convinced they'll be good even out of beta.
Since you have absolutely no idea how much the debugging code is, or may be, contributing to the perceived so, so slowness, that is a spectacularly pointless comment.

Jeremy

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 04:21:19 am »

Since you have absolutely no idea how much the debugging code is, or may be,
I've tested a lot of beta software in the last 15 years and, most relevantly, I've used every public beta of Lightroom. I'm used to some bits being slow and getting faster on release code, but some of LR4 is spectacularly sluggish and based on past experience that poor performance won't be corrected in the first actual release.
I doubt if even the designers will know how well it will perform until the release code is confirmed, then there'll be the maintenance releases to try and get some bits usable on the bottom spec machines. Just like LR3 went through.

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:31:17 pm »

Thanks, there's some good stuff to read there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up