Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Flash Color, Saturation and Contrast Shift  (Read 6572 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Adobe Flash Color, Saturation and Contrast Shift
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:36:48 pm »

It appears to me that Adobe Flash displays images with increased contrast and saturation, and cause some color shifts, relative to the way the images appear in Photoshop, Lightroom or Mac Preview, as well as when viewing the individual images in Firefox and Safari. Is this completely unavoidable? With some images, I have tried reducing the saturation of certain colors, or overall, and this seems to help sometimes, but I can never get as close as I'd like. The images have the sRGB profile. I am viewing on a 2.5 year old iMac, calibrated with an I1 Display 2. In the end, I know that most viewers are never going to see the images on the Internet exactly as I have intended them, due to considerably less-than-ideal viewing conditions, so I try not to get too worked up about it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Adobe Flash Color, Saturation and Contrast Shift
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:43:26 pm »

Not all products (software) that create flash galleries and such are implementing color management. For example, Lightroom 3’s Flash galleries don’t, LR4 does. I see the same issue with my LR3 Flash Galleries on my wide gamut display because if this.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

David Eichler

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:17:17 pm »

Not all products (software) that create flash galleries and such are implementing color management. For example, Lightroom 3’s Flash galleries don’t, LR4 does. I see the same issue with my LR3 Flash Galleries on my wide gamut display because if this.

So, what I am seeing doesn't necessarily have to occur with Flash. What I have described occurs with Flash website providers such as Livebooks and Foliolink, as well as with SlideshowPro for Lightroom. My current website is by Livebooks, and I generally like the look (except for the issue I am referring to) and the great back-end functionality. Does anyone know of providers of high-quality template website providers that offer comparable functionality to Livebooks, without these issues?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:14:08 pm »

David, you're right in your observations of the mismatches and this is a known issue. Don't use Flash for your web galleries. Create them in Lightroom in HTML format and you'll see better matching.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

David Eichler

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:21:54 pm »

David, you're right in your observations of the mismatches and this is a known issue. Don't use Flash for your web galleries. Create them in Lightroom in HTML format and you'll see better matching.

Mark, i need a Web presentation that stands out and I really dont think the Lightroom html galleries do that, nor do Lightroom's own Flash galleries for that matter. The SlideshowPro gallery for Lightroom does work well, if inserted into a nicely designed website, but that is still Flash.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 04:22:59 pm »

Have you experimented with the various creative options LR 3.5 or 3.6 permits?

David Eichler

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:07 pm »

Have you experimented with the various creative options LR 3.5 or 3.6 permits?

Such as?

David Eichler

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:00:25 pm »

I don't have a wide-gamut display, and the vast majority of my clients and potential clients will not have one either, so that really isn't a big concern for this. Asked Livebooks, and they say there isn't anything they can do. I assume a company like that would do it if they could, and this is the trade off for the look of this kind of website. Would like to know of any Flash website alternatives (with mirrored html sites for mobile devices) that do implement color management.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 07:51:10 am »

Such as?

The various ways in which it can be configured, and I seem to recall reading there are perhaps a couple of web-page design programs compatible with LR, but I personally have not felt the need to make a priority of exploring the topic.

MPatek

• http://www.marcelpatek.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »

Current implementation of color management in Flash is indeed highly unreliable. Flash Player (version 10 and greater) should be able to deal with embedded icc profiles, but I was never able to get it working consistently. There is a piece of code that has to be added to web galleries, but as I mentioned - it is not working reliably. This can be frustrating as you mentioned (saturation shift) and clearly disturbing on wide gamut monitors.

I am also using SlideShowPro (Director) and for exactly those reasons built an alternative gallery that uses plain html standard. I recommend the TTG Highslide gallery (CE) that works from within the Lightroom and has features that you may find useful (image ranking, ordering, approve version). The other html product for a nice web gallery is TN3 Gallery. This is standalone product that has to be installed on your server.

As I mentioned earlier, I have two same galleries - one in Flash (SlideShowPro) and another one that is built around html TN3 Gallery being fed from SlideShowPro Director. Check out the differences (if you see any) at this link. Click the "Galleries" at the top menu to choose the version that suits best to your monitor (or compare both versions).
Marcel

Digital Photography Marcel Patek
http://www.marcelpatek.com and http://photo.marcelpatek.com

Ethan_Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 07:16:36 pm »

A head's up for those using Flash: The number of viewers unable to see your work will only increase. iOS browsers do not show Flash, neither does Chrome on Android, and IE10 on Windows 8 won't support plug-ins when running in the default Metro style. HTML5 is the way to go.

David Eichler

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 06:45:22 pm »

A head's up for those using Flash: The number of viewers unable to see your work will only increase. iOS browsers do not show Flash, neither does Chrome on Android, and IE10 on Windows 8 won't support plug-ins when running in the default Metro style. HTML5 is the way to go.

HTML period, new or old. An additional problem with Flash website providers such as Livebooks is that they provide html mirror sites for mobile devices, so, if you try to process your photos to minimize what non-color-managed Flash does to them, then that potential screws up the view for the html version. However, if Flash is now capable of color management, why aren't major Flash website providers using that?

David Eichler

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 09:29:23 pm »

Current implementation of color management in Flash is indeed highly unreliable. Flash Player (version 10 and greater) should be able to deal with embedded icc profiles, but I was never able to get it working consistently. There is a piece of code that has to be added to web galleries, but as I mentioned - it is not working reliably.

Have many others been experiencing this unreliability?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 12:16:15 pm »

No, I haven't - though I think it's no longer worth spending time/money on Flash-based photo galleries.

OlivierAdam

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:00 pm »

Hi,

I have the same problem with Livebooks site with increasing saturation with a wide gamut Eizo.

Does anyone try to remove the ICC profile (remove a srgb profile) of images before sending images to the gallery to test if it's better or not?

Best regards

Olivier
Pages: [1]   Go Up