Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyze Wide Angle Technical is fantastic. now help needed.  (Read 5199 times)

KevinGSaunders

• KGS Studios
Analyze Wide Angle Technical is fantastic. now help needed.
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:23:50 pm »

I am a relatively new C1 user with my Rollei X-Act2, Schneider APO Digitar lenses and a Leaf Aptus 75S back. I finally got around to creating ICC profiles for each lens as follows:

35mm-F11-0mmRise-0mm-BackShift
35mm-F11-0mmRise-10mmR-BackShift
35mm-F11-0mmRise-10mmL-BackShift

This gets the shifts for stitching. Now I repeated this process for 5mm up shift, 10mm up shift and 15 mm Upshift, plus the same thing with downshifts.

Now at least at F11 and infinity, I have decent confidence that if I don't remember to or can't really create a white image in the field, these saved ICC profiles can do the trick on color shifts and light falloff.

It is a bit of work, but I wanted to suggest that it is so worth it.

Now if someone can tell me how to get a Macbeth color checker to magically turn into a color profile in C1... :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:06:35 pm by KevinGSaunders »
Kevin G Saunders
KGS Studios

KevinGSaunders

• KGS Studios
Re: Analyze Wide Angle Technical is fantastic, now not so! Help needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:06:06 pm »

Well I spoke too soon. I created the LCC's and then went and shot today and now can't figure out how to get them to apply to the new shots. I even moved the LCC images to the new capture folder and copied the data with the LCC name to the new folder too, but no joy.

Any suggestions?
Kevin G Saunders
KGS Studios

Ray R

Re: Analyze Wide Angle Technical is fantastic. now help needed.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:35:39 pm »

Not used it much, so hope this helps.
select the image for the LCC and go to lens correction, In LCC dropdown select analyze. It will then ask you to give it a name. When it has finished the profile should be listed in the same dropdown box.

Select your image and then select the LCC from the dropdown box.

Ray

KevinGSaunders

• KGS Studios
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:05:36 pm »

Hi Ray,

Thanks. One would think this works, but the LCC that I created on the other image is not in the dropdown menu, even if I move the test menu to the current folder, plus the extra files too.

Best,

Kevin
Kevin G Saunders
KGS Studios

Ray R

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:38:20 am »

As I say, I don't often use C1, but I have noticed that my previous LCC's are not listed and I had to redo it. It then appeared in the list.

Ray

EsbenHR

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:56 am »

Now if someone can tell me how to get a Macbeth color checker to magically turn into a color profile in C1... :)

If "magically" means "automatically", then you need some software other than Capture One.
The procedure is:
1) Get the image into Capture One.
2) Be sure to select the film curve you intend to use together with the profile.
3) Process the image with the color profile "Embedded". 16-bit TIFFs are STRONGLY recommended.

Now use your favorite color-profile-creation-tool to build the ICC compatible with Capture One.

Creating color profiles is a black art. Personally I don't think a profile created from a simple color checker is very good.

If your goal is to measure the colors (e.g. sometimes a requirement for museums), then you should use a linear filmcurve.
The image will be flat and dull, but accurate, which is often what you want in reproduction. In photography, not so much.

In Capture One you can use the color editor to create the color profiles manually. While it is quite a bit of labor, it can give better results.

EsbenHR

Re: Analyze Wide Angle Technical is fantastic, now not so! Help needed.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:42:08 am »

Well I spoke too soon. I created the LCC's and then went and shot today and now can't figure out how to get them to apply to the new shots. I even moved the LCC images to the new capture folder and copied the data with the LCC name to the new folder too, but no joy.

Any suggestions?

The LCCs shown in the menu are located in a system folder. The exact location differs from version and Mac/Windows.

The LCCs will only show up if they can be applied:
1) the LCC must be created by the same back
2) sensor+ must match the LCC

If you still can not get it to work there is something wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up